question about gun hazard's co-op code.

You are here: The Pantheon / Seven Heavens / Elysium - Gaming / Topic: Question about Gun Hazard's co-op code.

Gon is really angry
 right now.

ThreadTools

Print

ForumStats

11043 Posts, 545 Topics, 780 Members, Latest Member: jnmoors01

This forum is Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2005, Simple Machines integrated by Datschge basing on Simplicity by Bloc
 (Read 4338 times) [1]

Question about Gun Hazard's co-op code.
« on: February 07, 2008, 04:50:16 PM » by Metatron
« Last Edit: February 07, 2008, 07:31:48 PM by Metatron »
Would anyone happen to know it? There exists some sort of code to allow you to control the CPU partner, as demonstrated by the playthrough in the Let's Play Archive.

http://fromearth.net/LetsPlay/Front%20Mission%20-%20Gun%20Hazard/index.html

The question is, what is this code? Since it's a 'code' I doubt it's as simple as pressing Start on the second controller... if it is I am going to feel very silly... but then I don't have an old save so yeah.

It's not listed in any FAQ or code section I've found.
IP Logged

whoa, there a co-op code for Gun Hazard!
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2008, 03:53:21 PM » by Dais
I had no idea that one existed, but sure enough, I found it through Google and 2chan (at least, I think it was 2chan), and it works!

Anyway, once you're in a level and you have a partner (preferably one that uses a Wanzer, although you can control the firing cursor if you have Brenda, although you're still limited to a certain number of shots), have the person on gamepad two press DOWN + L-SHOULDER + R-SHOULDER + START all at the same time. There should be a familiar mechanical noise if you did it correctly, and player two will now control the partner. You have to reenter the code every time you enter a stage, though (at least, I'm pretty sure you do).

Note that if you're using ZSNES, that many keys pressed won't all register - instead, you'll have to map a key to Down+L+R+Start. On the other hand, it's convenient to just have to hit that key to enable the code each mission.
IP Logged

Re: whoa, there a co-op code for Gun Hazard!
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2008, 01:05:30 AM » by JayBee That's how I roll.
Note that if you're using ZSNES, that many keys pressed won't all register - instead, you'll have to map a key to Down+L+R+Start. On the other hand, it's convenient to just have to hit that key to enable the code each mission.
Ummm... you're highly mistaken.
You can quite merrily mash every button on the SNES controller at once in ZSNES, provided you have a proper input device. Exception is made for the 4 directionals, as ZSNES emulates the pivot point of a real d-pad, preventing <+> or ^+v keypresses.

A keyboard is NOT a proper input device.
The problem you describe arises with how keyboards are wired. Each key doesn't have it's own dedicated electrical connections. They're wired together in matrixes, so each key shares connections with a few other keys. Pressing multiple keys on a single matrix can block the system from viewing other keys on the same matrix.

As it happens, the default control mapping of ZSNES places L, R, and A in locations that commonly cause matrix issues with each other(hence why the FAQ calls out Chrono Trigger's L+R+A issue specifically). But that doesn't mean that ZSNES can't read more than 2 buttons at once, or anything like that.

APPRIVOISE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
IP Logged

Re: Question about Gun Hazard's co-op code
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2008, 02:58:20 PM » by Dais
I'd ask for your forgiveness for describing the practical problem without the technical solution, but I don't think I would actually value it.
IP Logged

Re: Question about Gun Hazard's co-op code
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2008, 03:15:22 PM » by JayBee That's how I roll.
I'd ask for your forgiveness for describing the practical problem without the technical solution, but I don't think I would actually value it.
You didn't describe the practical problem.
You incorrectly attributed a flaw with a specific input device to a core problem with a specific emulator.

The practical solution implied by your post is "Use SNES9x, because it doesn't suffer from key blocking." This, in fact, will not work, as SNES9x also suffers from keyblocking when fed by a keyboard.

The REAL solution is "Get a gamepad." Not only does it evade the keyboard's matrix issues, it also provides a superior input device that more closely matches what the game was designed for.
But your post implies that won't work because the problem is inside ZSNES, not the keyboard.

And I've never figured out why people take the correction of significant factual errors as a personal assault.

APPRIVOISE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
IP Logged

Re: whoa, there a co-op code for Gun Hazar
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2008, 05:02:50 PM » by Dais

The practical solution implied by your post is "Use SNES9x, because it doesn't suffer from key blocking." This, in fact, will not work, as SNES9x also suffers from keyblocking when fed by a keyboard.

I think the best thing to do at this point is to agree that we don't care enough about the situation to read what the other person is writing.
IP Logged

Re: whoa, there a co-op code for Gun Hazar
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2008, 01:41:16 AM » by JayBee That's how I roll.

I think the best thing to do at this point is to agree that we don't care enough about the situation to read what the other person is writing.
Note that I said "implied." I read your entire post, and perhaps as an outside viewer, I took things from it that didn't occur to you.

You call it out as a limitation of ZSNES, specifically. That implies other emulators do not have this issue.

Personally, if I were faced with the task of remapping my controls every time I needed to press 4 buttons at once, I'd move to the OTHER emulator. The one that DOESN'T have a serious, game-killing  # of buttons limitation.
If you don't see it as a complete game-killer, try to do a dash-jump while charging your gun in Megaman X. Or play Super Metroid.
There are MANY situations where pressing 4 buttons at once will be required in the SNES library, and remapping the controls is only a viable option for some situations.

Therefore, it seems to be implied that if you're using ZSNES, you should switch emus.

I ignored the third option of BSNES because it lacks mainstream recognition, and is thus likely to be overlooked by the average joe.
SNES9x, though, is just as well-known as ZSNES.

Fortunately, the initial statement was in error. You may continue to use ZSNES, as it is no more or less affected by multi-button situations than any other emulator.

APPRIVOISE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
IP Logged

Re: Question about Gun Hazard's co-op code.
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2008, 03:55:10 AM » by Derek The Blue Wings of Kyonoshi
« Last Edit: February 12, 2008, 04:02:14 AM by Derek »
Children. Seperate corners. JayBee gets OCD about specific details, Dais doesn't, the original question has been answered, let's all move on, please. If this argument goes on for even one more post, it'll be considered a violation of Rule #1.

So c'mon, guys.

dragonmasterjb0: Apparently, in the new series, Lina is arrested at one point on charges of being Lina Inverse.

The rest of the party, in typical Slayers fashion, gives a reaction to the effect of "Sounds reasonable."
IP Logged

(Read 4338 times) [1]
Jump to: