ign reviews shiren ds

You are here: The Pantheon / Seven Heavens / Elysium - Gaming / Topic: IGN reviews Shiren DS

Gon is really angry
 right now.

ThreadTools

Print

ForumStats

10987 Posts, 530 Topics, 743 Members, Latest Member: brbrafns01

This forum is Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2005, Simple Machines integrated by Datschge basing on Simplicity by Bloc
 (Read 5068 times) [1]

IGN reviews Shiren DS
« on: March 04, 2008, 10:23:32 PM » by GeoX
http://ds.ign.com/articles/856/856601p1.html

Shorter IGN review: "I don't like this rogue-like because it's a rogue-like.  Also, I'm paid by the word."

Actually, that last part would apply to any IGN review.  But still.  How embarrassing.

IP Logged

Re: IGN reviews Shiren DS
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2008, 03:56:45 PM » by Ian Kelley
Why do publications (online or other) allow people to review games in genres they don't like? Of course they're going to get negative reviews. Roguelikes for some reason seem to consistently get reviewers who don't like the genre.
IP Logged

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2008, 05:10:32 PM » by Datschge Sakuraba Fan
Why do publications (online or other) allow people to review games in genres they don't like?
Good question. I often feel reviews miss the point by not actually reviewing stuff like all the game design in context of its genre (which requires the reviewer to be familiar with it, and not superficially so like so often). But I'm always assuming I'm the odd one for approaching game in such a technical way. *shrugs*
IP Logged

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2008, 03:10:55 PM » by Armetius
Why do publications (online or other) allow people to review games in genres they don't like? Of course they're going to get negative reviews. Roguelikes for some reason seem to consistently get reviewers who don't like the genre.

Roguelikes are extremely punishing and counterintuitive most of the time, so it's really hard to find a reviewer that likes them.
IP Logged

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2008, 10:58:08 PM » by Stefan
Did the reviewer ever say he disliked rougelikes? I don't recall that. I do have to defend them for your accusation about being paid for reviews, because I feel there more honest and accurate than the other publications out there.
IP Logged

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2008, 05:36:23 PM » by Ian Kelley
Did the reviewer ever say he disliked rougelikes? I don't recall that. I do have to defend them for your accusation about being paid for reviews, because I feel there more honest and accurate than the other publications out there.

Did you even read the review? His complaints were:

1) The dungeon is generated randomly
2) Items are never in the same place when you go through a dungeon again
3) You have to start from scratch when you die, which is too hard.

All of these are standard staples for the roguelike genre and always have been. If those things bother him he has no business reviewing a roguelike as by definition they're all going to have them in some shape or form.  It's akin to complaining that enemies shoot too many bullets at you in a shmup, or that there's not enough twitch action in a turn-based strategy game.
IP Logged

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2008, 06:46:54 PM » by Gideon Zhi Devil Summoner

All of these are standard staples for the roguelike genre and always have been. If those things bother him he has no business reviewing a roguelike as by definition they're all going to have them in some shape or form.  It's akin to complaining that enemies shoot too many bullets at you in a shmup, or that there's not enough twitch action in a turn-based strategy game.

IGN's chief complaint about Shadowgate 64 was that there were no guns/swords/weapons of any kind.

IP Logged

« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2008, 08:24:18 PM » by JayBee That's how I roll.

IGN's chief complaint about Shadowgate 64 was that there were no guns/swords/weapons of any kind.
Ignorant starts with IGN.

APPRIVOISE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
IP Logged

« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2008, 10:45:00 PM » by Sume Gai AGGF Master
I Prefer :

"you can't spell ignorant without IGN"

If you are a man you'll do what's important before you grieve  -Captain Harlock
IP Logged

« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2008, 09:19:49 AM » by You Can you smell what I shell
To be fair, guys, whether IGN is comprised of a bunch of clods or not isn't particularily important.  The reviews will be relevant in that the casual player probably doesn't like rogue-likes, anyhow, and anyone who does will be able to pick up on the negatives as positives.

Rogue-likes are a niche market, and even when they were the only thing around they were a niche market.

If I could change the alphabet I'd put I and DD together
IP Logged

« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2008, 03:32:35 PM » by Dynamo
http://www.gamespot.com/ds/rpg/fushiginodungeon/review.html?sid=6188639

Gamespot seems to have started the same trend over the last few years, seems like the same review; different words.
IP Logged

« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2008, 05:04:02 PM » by LGB I hate footsoldiers
« Last Edit: April 03, 2009, 12:27:02 PM by LGB »
Now where is that bleeding quote... another forum had posted a topic about IGN giving GTA a 10, putting it above a lot of other games that are far better, etc. Ah, there it is:

Quote from: LGB
Every single "professional" gaming magazine/website in the history of the world is gay and bogus, except for Gamest and Famitsu.

GTA fanboys and Nintendo fanboys, who needs 'em? Meanwhile, I've got Down Load and am loving it.

Requesting lock plzkthnx
The topic was locked soon after.

edit: If you would like to go into semantics, Arcadia and Famitsu are in fact more of the same, butGamest/Arcadia is in fact more directed at high scores (though I think there are reviews someplace, I don't know about 'em), while Famitsu biases its ratings and reviews on a game's difficulty. This is not to say that a completely better game would lose to a very easy, and absolute crap quality game by no means. It's more directed at two similar games, with one being harder.

So, if you want to put it that way, just write your own reviews and you should be good.

Always outnumbered, never outgunned.
IP Logged

(Read 5068 times) [1]
Jump to: