gba flash cards and translation patches

You are here: The Pantheon / Seven Heavens / Aaru - Romhacking & Translation / Topic: GBA Flash Cards and Translation Patches

Gon is really angry
 right now.

ThreadTools

Print

ForumStats

11025 Posts, 541 Topics, 767 Members, Latest Member: metalmight

This forum is Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2005, Simple Machines integrated by Datschge basing on Simplicity by Bloc
 (Read 22164 times) [1] 2

GBA Flash Cards and Translation Patches
« on: March 19, 2008, 11:16:36 PM » by Stefan
I was psyched to hear that the translation of Dragon Quest Monsters: Caravan Heart was just finished. It sounds like a great game, one that I'd thoroughly enjoy. But honestly I don't think I would want to play the actual ROM on the my computer illegally.

It makes me want to import the game so I can download the ROM. But I need to know if its possible to translate the ROM and then use the Gameboy Flash Advance Linker and GBA Flash Card to play the translated ROM on my Nintendo DS or Gameboy Advance.

Would it then play right on my DS or GBA with ROM translated on the Flash Card? Or would the ROM have to be unpatched for it to actually play correctly on the handheld? If it doesn't work I could still import the game but play it off the computer, as long as I own the actual copy.
IP Logged

Re: GBA Flash Cards and Translation Patches
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2008, 07:51:02 PM » by Chibi Kami
« Last Edit: March 20, 2008, 07:52:50 PM by Chibi Kami »
1: Had you bothered to read the translation notes, you would have seen that it does indeed work just fine via flash cart, though it plays slowly with some older ones. They give a recommendation in the readme.

2: As for legality, thanks to a loophole in recent copyright law reformation, it's perfectlly legal to acquire and possess a copy of software that is no longer being actively marketed. As DQM:CH is not copyrighted outside Japan, and since you'd be hard pressed to find a copy that still profits ENIX itself (especially since the company merged with Square shortly after the game's release), It is perfectly legal to download the rom.

3: Before anyone gets the wrong idea, I did in fact import the game back when it first came out. It's made of win.

4: Why ask about it in the AGTP forum? Gideon wasn't responsible for the project. Romhacking.net would be more appropriate or the webiste of the translators itself.

The power of love is the most chaotic and destructive force in the known universe.
IP Logged

Re: GBA Flash Cards and Translation Patche
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2008, 09:21:38 PM » by Stefan
Thanks for the help. Does that mean it would be illegal to download and play a ROM of game that just came out, even though you own the copy but just bought it to translate it.
IP Logged

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2008, 09:53:52 PM » by JayBee That's how I roll.
2: As for legality, thanks to a loophole in recent copyright law reformation, it's perfectlly legal to acquire and possess a copy of software that is no longer being actively marketed. As DQM:CH is not copyrighted outside Japan, and since you'd be hard pressed to find a copy that still profits ENIX itself (especially since the company merged with Square shortly after the game's release), It is perfectly legal to download the rom.
I don't believe that's true in the US, though I do recall a blurb about Canada adding an abandonware clause.
Copyright law varies from place to place.

Either way, all Enix software doesn't become automatically free because they merged with Square.
SquareEnix now owns the copyrights, and you'll have to show that Squeenix isn't being hurt.

Thanks for the help. Does that mean it would be illegal to download and play a ROM of game that just came out, even though you own the copy but just bought it to translate it.
Yup. At least in the US, downloading a ROM image that has not been made freely downloadable by the copyright holder is illegal.

However, in the US  you ARE legally allowed* to MAKE a copy of your legally owned software, provided it's for personal use and you aren't using the original and copy at the same time. And it's really going to be VERY difficult to prove you downloaded a ROM image instead of making your own.

*Maybe. DMCA makes this a very confusing and self-contradictory issue. It also makes fine-pointed permanent markers illegal, as well as CD writers, and, hell, PCs in general. But no one pushes the point because they KNOW the entire act comes crashing down if you start trying to enforce it all.

APPRIVOISE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
IP Logged

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2008, 06:08:33 AM » by Stefan
Now I'm getting contradictory statements. What do other people here think?
IP Logged

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2008, 06:47:43 PM » by Datschge Sakuraba Fan
Contact a lawyer.
IP Logged

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2008, 08:56:57 PM » by Flavahbeast
you're going to jail
IP Logged

« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2008, 09:27:44 PM » by Word on the Wind Fanservice with a vengence!
you're going to jail

OBJECTION! *Breaks desk with whip*

I miss my signature.
IP Logged

« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2008, 10:14:10 PM » by Sume Gai AGGF Master
you're going to jail

Arle, I though you knew...

Coffee is far more effective

*throws a hot mug of coffee at both Flavahbeast and Stefan*

If you are a man you'll do what's important before you grieve  -Captain Harlock
IP Logged

« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2008, 10:29:57 PM » by Derek The Blue Wings of Kyonoshi
you're going to jail

Arle, I though you knew...

Coffee is far more effective

*throws a hot mug of coffee at both Flavahbeast and Stefan*

OBJECTION! *Snaps his fingers and poses dramatically* Judge! Sustain my objection!

dragonmasterjb0: Apparently, in the new series, Lina is arrested at one point on charges of being Lina Inverse.

The rest of the party, in typical Slayers fashion, gives a reaction to the effect of "Sounds reasonable."
IP Logged

« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2008, 10:40:35 PM » by Sume Gai AGGF Master
OBJECTION! *Snaps his fingers and poses dramatically* Judge! Sustain my objection!

now you've done it

I call forth the power of "Stepladder"

IP Logged

« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2008, 01:15:21 AM » by Word on the Wind Fanservice with a vengence!

now you've done it

Ye're lookin' into it too deeply, at the core, it's sitll just a ladder. *Whips*

Also, I do believe ye missed a hyphen.

I miss my signature.
IP Logged

« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2008, 03:21:48 PM » by Sume Gai AGGF Master

now you've done it

Ye're lookin' into it too deeply, at the core, it's sitll just a ladder. *Whips*

that would have worked but you forgot to use the word fool (and 8 of it's derivatives)

IP Logged

« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2008, 06:31:49 PM » by Word on the Wind Fanservice with a vengence!

now you've done it

that would have worked but you forgot to use the word fool (and 8 of it's derivatives)

*Whip whip whip*

SILENCE!

I miss my signature.
IP Logged

« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2008, 01:12:05 AM » by Chaostic Dark, Light, Shadow, Time, Chaos, PIKE

now you've done it

*Whip whip whip*

SILENCE!
OBJECTION! to the over uses if Gyakuten Saiban

*puts on clear nail polish*
IP Logged

(Read 22164 times) [1] 2
Jump to: