problems with la-mulana

You are here: The Pantheon / Seven Heavens / Asgard - Technical Help / Topic: problems with La-Mulana

Gon is calm
 right now.

ThreadTools

Print

ForumStats

10947 Posts, 520 Topics, 763 Members, Latest Member: lahmndras01

This forum is Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2005, Simple Machines integrated by Datschge basing on Simplicity by Bloc
 (Read 36344 times) [1] 2 3

problems with La-Mulana
« on: March 31, 2008, 04:22:44 PM » by LeftyMagman
I am having problems running La-Mulana on Windows Vista. The game works fine, but for some reason it doesn't display text on the tablets, skeletons, and on the MSX title page. The thing that perplexes me though is that it's not the patch. Has anyone else had this problem, and if so, how can I fix it?
IP Logged

Re: problems with La-Mulana
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2008, 01:28:37 PM » by Chibi Kami
1: Vista is Satan's gift to computers. Revert to XP.

2: Right-click the exe or shortcut to the exe, and select properties. Search through it and tell it to either run as administrator, run in compatibility mode for XP or lower, or some combination of the two. I cannot give you a definite fix because I'm not about to upgrade to Vista. (the solutions come from attempts to fix my uncle's EverQuest account. He had the latest expansion areas, but couldn't access them in Vista without running as admin)

The power of love is the most chaotic and destructive force in the known universe.
IP Logged

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2008, 03:02:56 PM » by LeftyMagman
Something I've found with Vista is that the compatibility doesn't really work. Thank's anyway.
IP Logged

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2008, 02:33:37 PM » by LeftyMagman
Anybody else have some ideas?
IP Logged

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2008, 11:53:20 PM » by Zaratus
Hmm, La Mulana works mostly fine for me on Vista.  At least, I haven't tested it out fully, but most things are fine. 

The only issue I have with it, is that only one of the music settings works (the chiptune-sounding one).  The other audio option, all I get is the percussion sounding err, sounds. 

The only settings I have on it are to run in compatibility mode for XP SP 2. 
IP Logged

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2008, 03:37:50 PM » by LeftyMagman
What version of Vista were you using?
IP Logged

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2008, 12:08:54 AM » by Zaratus
System properties say Windows Vista Home Premium.

32-bit. 

Here's some other specs, though for a game like La-Mulana, don't think it's overly relevant.  ~2.16 GHz Dual Core, 2 GB ram.  NVIDIA GeForce video card, though I forget the exact specs on it, and I'm too lazy to double-check at the moment .=P 

It's a laptop if that matters at all. 
IP Logged

« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2008, 11:40:32 AM » by Aquillion
One thing.  This sounds a bit silly to ask, but I have to bring it up...

Do you have the translation chip installed in your MSX?  Without that, all the tablets will come out as gibberish.

I don't think you need it for skeletons, so I doubt that's the problem, but I had to ask to make sure.
IP Logged

« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2008, 11:24:43 AM » by antikris
I had the exact same problem (that's how I got here through Google). I have opened graphics/font.bmp in the La Mulana directory and edited it so the characters are no longer purely white. You could make them a very light shade of gray.

When saved back into the same directory again (make sure it is saved as a BMP file!!), replace the original file with the modified one. Now all should work: you can test it by starting your MSX using F4; you should see text.
IP Logged

« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2008, 12:13:59 PM » by LeftyMagman
How would I do that without filling in every single character individually in MS paint?
IP Logged

« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2008, 12:18:44 PM » by antikris
http://img166.imageshack.us/img166/7828/fontpi2.png

Download this, open it in paint or any other graphics application and save it as  a bmp image, named font.bmp in the /graphics/ directory of the la mulana folder.

Though the font looks white it is just a very light shade of gray.
IP Logged

« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2008, 02:26:41 PM » by LeftyMagman
Properties says it's a bitmap image, but when I use it to replace the original font file, When La-Mulana starts it Vista says La-Mulana stopped working.
IP Logged

« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2008, 04:38:50 PM » by Tequitofoot
I'm also having troubles getting La-Mulana to run, but mine are a bit different. Whenever I run the .exe file, the screen goes black, waits about 15 seconds, and then the music starts playing. I can navigate the menu and play the game, but the screen is blank during all of this.

I'm on Vista too, but running it in XP compatibility or as an administrator doesn't work. Any ideas?
IP Logged

« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2008, 04:50:40 PM » by antikris
Make sure you are not playing fullscreen, but windowed, by hitting alt-enter during the game. This might help.
IP Logged

« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2008, 04:52:09 PM » by antikris
I hope you made a backup of the original file.

You cannot just rename a file extension to .bmp for it to become a bitmap image. A graphics app needs to save it as such. You may also have some issues with administrator rights perhaps.
IP Logged

(Read 36344 times) [1] 2 3
Jump to: