the definitive version.

You are here: The Pantheon / Seven Heavens / Aaru - Romhacking & Translation / Topic: The DEFINITIVE Version.

Gon is really angry
 right now.

ThreadTools

Print

ForumStats

11028 Posts, 543 Topics, 771 Members, Latest Member: BlueWizard

This forum is Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2005, Simple Machines integrated by Datschge basing on Simplicity by Bloc
 (Read 31795 times) 1 2 3 [4] 5

Re: The DEFINITIVE Version.
« Reply #45 on: April 26, 2009, 06:44:08 PM » by Stefan
The waiting has nothing to do with one particular version being better than the other, but everything to do with giving people a way of illegally being able to play it for free.
IP Logged

« Reply #46 on: April 26, 2009, 07:13:00 PM » by Word on the Wind Fanservice with a vengence!
Ye do realise that if that's all there was to it, it's not difficult to get ahold of PSX Emulatables and an ISO image, right?

I miss my signature.
IP Logged

« Reply #47 on: April 28, 2009, 06:57:49 AM » by GreenEnergy
The waiting has nothing to do with one particular version being better than the other, but everything to do with giving people a way of illegally being able to play it for free.

I disagree! As the topic suggests, we're looking forwart to playing the DEFINITVE VERSION of TO one day (that's the SNES Version), which is really the whole ESSENCE of all debates & the meaning of this topic. 
IP Logged

« Reply #48 on: April 28, 2009, 05:41:33 PM » by JayBee That's how I roll.
They're the EXACT SAME THING.
One has a little bit of load time and has been in english for over a decade. Those are the only differences.
Far as I know, there's no significant quirks, graphical glitches, audio oddities, additional content, removed content, or ANY indication whatsoever that it's a port.

And it's not the essence of all the debates.
Trust me, I've been in several of them.

Most of them are obnoxious warez kiddies whining because they don't have enough bandwidth to download CD images, or their computer isn't fast enough to run PS1 emulators, or ePSXe is too complicated, or Playstation emulators suck(which was actually a valid excuse for a while, though the TO emulation glitches have long since been fixed), or Playstation sucks full stop, or they refuse to play an official translation from the "dark ages" of translations, or...

It usually boils down to "GIMME TEH SNES RAWMZ NOW!111" with no real logic behind it.
I don't know how the people that actually DO ROM hacking put up with it for so long. Oh, wait... they made Tactics Ogre requests a bannable offense.

I hereby request a translation of the Saturn version. Because SNES sucks.

APPRIVOISE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
IP Logged

« Reply #49 on: April 29, 2009, 09:33:17 AM » by GreenEnergy
Ok, ok, well everyone's got it that YOU abviously don't want a snes version. I guess you'd just downlaod the iso somewhere, take a seat in front of your computer, turn on your emulator and you're perfectly happy with it. I accept that.

But why can't you, on the other hand, accept that A LOT of other people still  WANT IT. And I'm sure that they DO have a valid reason, otherwise nobody would care. That may be some sort of personal reason, a nostalgic reason, whatever. Only because YOU don't get the logic doesn't mean everyone who wishes for a TO translation is an idiot.

And yes, the SNES version is superior to anyone else, due to the loading times. THAT's what greatly annoy's people, so just accept it. Some also miss the ability of fast forwading...

I for myself have another personal reason why I want it so badly. (And I know a lot of people who would do the same in an instant)

It's because I not only own a lot of old consoles, but also play them regularly with great joy.
So all I want is to put this sucker (who happens to be one of the greatest games of all time and plays in the same league as FFVI, Chronotrigger etc.) on a real cartridge, fall back on my couch and "SWITCH ON THE GOOD OL' TIMES"!
Isn't that to some extent what the whole rom translation scene is all about as well? Bringing back those good days and being able to create something with your own hands that shoul'd have been created by developers at one point in time, but wasn't?

Anway, where's the love for "decent" TO requesters?

P.s: "I hereby request a translation of the Saturn version. Because SNES sucks." So where's the logic here? Why would anyone go for the worst version...
IP Logged

« Reply #50 on: April 29, 2009, 12:39:50 PM » by Word on the Wind Fanservice with a vengence!
There's no logic about any of it other than it IS available in english already and that is the simplist form to procure it in. JB's comment at the end there is just a spiteful move and I frankly don't blame him.

I miss my signature.
IP Logged

« Reply #51 on: April 29, 2009, 10:13:56 PM » by JayBee That's how I roll.
Aaaand the intent to stick it on a copier is probably the first justification I've ever seen that made a lick of sense.

I'm still sure that once the SNES version is translated, people will want the Saturn version. I know nothing about the Saturn version other than no one cares about it right now.

APPRIVOISE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
IP Logged

« Reply #52 on: April 30, 2009, 07:27:16 AM » by GreenEnergy
"Aaaand the intent to stick it on a copier is probably the first justification I've ever seen that made a lick of sense."

Well, for me that's just the best way to enjoy these awesome games. On the german forums I occasionally hang aroung (mainly supernes.de, snesfreaks.com) almost everyone's doing that. IMHO nothing can beat the CRT + real hardware/software + couch combination. So much fun!

"I'm still sure that once the SNES version is translated, people will want the Saturn version"

I doubt that. As I know it's got resolution problems in addition to crappy loading times.

IP Logged

« Reply #53 on: April 30, 2009, 11:54:28 AM » by TCM Chrono, by another name.
Please explain to me why you can't burn this ISO to disc, and play it on a PSX, as opposed to sticking your translated Tactics Ogre SNES rom on a cart, and playing it on an SNES.

Also, calling any particular version of a game "DEFINITIVE VERSION", despite the complete lack of script changes, bonuses, or anything else, in all caps for no good reason, has eroded any sympathy I've ever had for you, your cause, fans of Tactics Ogre, or people who request status on Tactics Ogre translations.

Thank God I'm not Gid.

Signatures? We're in the lap of luxury now!
IP Logged

« Reply #54 on: April 30, 2009, 02:13:05 PM » by GreenEnergy
Please explain to me why you can't burn this ISO to disc, and play it on a PSX, as opposed to sticking your translated Tactics Ogre SNES rom on a cart, and playing it on an SNES.

Also, calling any particular version of a game "DEFINITIVE VERSION", despite the complete lack of script changes, bonuses, or anything else, in all caps for no good reason, has eroded any sympathy I've ever had for you, your cause, fans of Tactics Ogre, or people who request status on Tactics Ogre translations.

Thank God I'm not Gid.

Did you even follow this thread? What are you talking about? Did I ever say I couldn't burn TO on a disc? Everyone could. I'm not doing it because I'm totaly turned off of the loading times - simple as that.
If Gid ever finishes putting Atlus'  translation into TO, then that would be what I (and many other's, it's not like I'm the only one) would consider the definitve version of TO... for TO fans of course. It may not be the definitve version for you - but  that's ok. I for myself just honestly think that the snes version plays best, as soo many others... 

Now, let's tell me honestly: which version of the following two would you prefer. Chrono Trigger PSX or Chrono Trigger SNES. How about everyone else here? Which one would you prefer?
IP Logged

« Reply #55 on: April 30, 2009, 02:34:08 PM » by alaras
Honestly, Chrono Trigger DS, if only for the extras.
IP Logged

« Reply #56 on: April 30, 2009, 06:07:02 PM » by JayBee That's how I roll.
Now, let's tell me honestly: which version of the following two would you prefer. Chrono Trigger PSX or Chrono Trigger SNES. How about everyone else here? Which one would you prefer?
SNES, but not enough to wait a decade for after the PS1 version came out. :P

And as far as I know, Tactics Ogre PS doesn't have NEAR the crappiness of Chrono Trigger PS.

But of course, I never actually played CT PS, despite intense curiosity about the ZOMG ANIME CUTSCENES!
The only PS1 ports of Square's I played were FF5 and 6. And FF6 was so truly and amazingly awful as to scare me away from the FF4/CT bundle entirely, though I heard that CT was MUCH better than that.

Seriously, the game paused and loaded data off the CD-ROM in the middle of Sabin's Aura Bolt animation(right after he landed, before he fired the beam).
I repeat: It paused and loaded in the MIDDLE of an animation!
It was THAT bad.

I also have real FF3US and CT carts, so the call was a bit moot.
I bought the FF5/6bundle for a legal FF5, and would've bought the FF4/CT bundle for a legal FF4 if I hadn't been so appalled by Square's utterly pathetic excuse for a port in FF5/6.

As far as CT DS goes... it treats the rectangular SNES pixels as square DS pixels, resulting in everything being aspect-incorrect(I HATE HATE HATE aspect-incorrect graphics, they drive me insaner), and has the modern NoA anti-flicker restrictions imposed on it(resulting in some neutered animations).

Add to that the difficulty of enjoying the soundtrack through headphones or DS speakers, and I failed to find any compelling reason to buy CT DS. I'll settle with my total knowledge of the game being rendered slightly less total by a secret boss + dungeon that only exists in the DS version.

Speaking of secrets...
I seem to be one of the very few people aware that you can do a kamikaze run on Lavos with the Epoch.
If you don't know about it, I'll share with you now.

Once the Epoch gets the flight mod, set the time gauge to 1999. It's that easy(which is why the near-total lack of reference to it anywhere on the internet amazes me to no end).

There will be a brief conversation in your party, and then it's RAMMING SPEED!, a cutscene making spiffy use of SNES graphics mode 7, and a complete and total bypass of Lavos form 1. You'll blow right through the outer shell without ever fighting it.

This also changes the ending animation sequence for whichever of the two "normal" endings you get, for obvious reasons.
God, I love Chrono Trigger.

From 0 to off-topic in 1.2 paragraphs.

APPRIVOISE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
IP Logged

« Reply #57 on: May 01, 2009, 07:46:11 AM » by GreenEnergy
« Last Edit: May 01, 2009, 09:35:54 AM by GreenEnergy »
As far as CT DS goes... it treats the rectangular SNES pixels as square DS pixels, resulting in everything being aspect-incorrect(I HATE HATE HATE aspect-incorrect graphics, they drive me insaner), and has the modern NoA anti-flicker restrictions imposed on it(resulting in some neutered animations).

Oh, I think we've got the same opinion on this one here. That's exactly what I think too! Never ever would I play a TRUE SNES GEM on a small DS screen. And as for CT on DS: That'd be like... watching Lord of the Rings on PSP... sooo wrong! :D
IP Logged

« Reply #58 on: May 01, 2009, 01:39:22 PM » by JayBee That's how I roll.
If I didn't already own CT, I might have a different opinion.

Hell, if they'd corrected the aspect ratio and not neutered the animation...

Screen size doesn't bother me. But the lower resolution does. I want my full visible area!

But I can't really imagine listening to it on the DS. The soundtrack is awesome, and the DS just doesn't have the kick to do it justice.

APPRIVOISE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
IP Logged

« Reply #59 on: May 06, 2009, 01:47:08 AM » by ChrisABlair
I'm gonna hafta agree with Jay on this one. I'm still preferring to play CT on my SNES rather than the PS1 or DS copies (All of which I have aquired over the years). Though, it's a pain sometimes to go out to the garage and grab my SNES every once in a while.

Sweetdiculous!
IP Logged

(Read 31795 times) 1 2 3 [4] 5
Jump to: