obligatory d00d atlus!! post.

You are here: The Pantheon / Seven Heavens / Elysium - Gaming / Topic: Obligatory d00d atlus!! post.

Gon is really angry
 right now.

ThreadTools

Print

ForumStats

11025 Posts, 541 Topics, 767 Members, Latest Member: metalmight

This forum is Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2005, Simple Machines integrated by Datschge basing on Simplicity by Bloc
 (Read 14503 times) 1 [2]

Re: Obligatory d00d atlus!! post.
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2007, 04:11:27 PM » by Osairis
Change of plan: I'm still gonna have to wait for Christmas, but I can at least get my parents to preorder it for me now. It'll be sitting on a shelf for a few months, but at least I know I'll have a brand new copy with all the extras waiting for me! I MUST get this game though. I got Generations when it came out, and I've been craving more ever since. In my opinion, this series is by far the best strategy/RPG series ever, and I'll go into a homicidal fury if I miss out. But since I'm lazy, I'll just poke Gon a few times and let him destroy everything for me.

WRONG. If you're planning to preorder in a store, it won't remain for a few months. Rule is for Game Stop is that they hold it for 48 hours unless given a longer notice. However, the game can't stay in the drawer for extremely long periods. So take caution. I'm definitely putting money down since I get paid this week. :) 50 bucks for bonus goodies? They really want to continue the tradition for a series originally worked on by Working Designs.
IP Logged

« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2007, 07:38:51 PM » by Zaratus
Wow, forgot all about Growlanser V.  Just pre-ordered - got it from Amazon for the free shipping, and I had a $25 gift certificate lying around.  Had something else I was planning on using it on, but oh well.  =P
IP Logged

« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2007, 07:45:46 AM » by Duke Fleed
Wow, some of the reviews of this game make it sound horrible.   But there's no way this game can be worse than disgaea or spectral souls. 

one reviewer wrote

"you run around a bland brown-green background and repeatedly slash the same enemies over and over like a mini ff12 battle system.  What a waste of 55 bucks.  I haven't felt this bored and frustrated since i bought magnet-karte"

I cleaned it up a bit, but man that guy had terrible english.

lol @ magnet karte.
IP Logged

« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2007, 05:46:01 PM » by Gideon Zhi Devil Summoner
Graphics are pretty lackluster, I'll admit. Prerenders ought to be better than this. Game's pretty fun, though. The skill system intimidates me.

IP Logged

« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2007, 08:20:34 PM » by Osairis
Wow, some of the reviews of this game make it sound horrible.   But there's no way this game can be worse than disgaea or spectral souls. 

one reviewer wrote

"you run around a bland brown-green background and repeatedly slash the same enemies over and over like a mini ff12 battle system.  What a waste of 55 bucks.  I haven't felt this bored and frustrated since i bought magnet-karte"

I cleaned it up a bit, but man that guy had terrible english.

lol @ magnet karte.

Whoever wrote that review didn't give Growlanser enough of a try. I was intimidated and bored with the Growlanser pack that Working Designs translated. However, I tried again and found the game to be remarkable and finished 2, but for some odd reason, I never finished 3. Hmm..Now I have to find the game again.
IP Logged

« Reply #20 on: September 21, 2007, 01:58:54 PM » by Duke Fleed
Well I purchased Growlanser today, along with an xbox 360 with 2 worlds and a preorder of halo.  None of which I have time to play. 

But you know growlanser is a cut above just from the character art.  I  like how the main character doesn't have a pumpkin grin from years of abusive fellatio addiction.

IP Logged

« Reply #21 on: September 22, 2007, 08:47:03 PM » by Gear Master Blitz
Change of plan: I'm still gonna have to wait for Christmas, but I can at least get my parents to preorder it for me now. It'll be sitting on a shelf for a few months, but at least I know I'll have a brand new copy with all the extras waiting for me! I MUST get this game though. I got Generations when it came out, and I've been craving more ever since. In my opinion, this series is by far the best strategy/RPG series ever, and I'll go into a homicidal fury if I miss out. But since I'm lazy, I'll just poke Gon a few times and let him destroy everything for me.

WRONG. If you're planning to preorder in a store, it won't remain for a few months. Rule is for Game Stop is that they hold it for 48 hours unless given a longer notice. However, the game can't stay in the drawer for extremely long periods. So take caution. I'm definitely putting money down since I get paid this week. :) 50 bucks for bonus goodies? They really want to continue the tradition for a series originally worked on by Working Designs.

OK, two things. First off, and pardon my language, but FUCK Gamestop. I'm pretty sure that they and EBgames are one and the same, and if you've been around these boards for a few months, then you may remember that they ripped me off of 70 dollars for a game they never sent me after i had to hassle with their worthless assess in a game of e-mail tag for about 3 months. If you haven't been around that long, then you're up to speed. Secondly, when I say preorder, I mean like preorder so that you get the game the very day it comes out. I'll still need to wait for Christmas, however, because I don't have any money right now so I had to convince my parents to get it for me as a Christmas gift, and now they will hold it until Christmas day. But at least I know I'll have it waiting for me.
P.S. In case you haven't noticed, Gamestop/EBGames is a hot button issue for me, so I apologize if I seem hostile towards you.

"Hello? Dead kid speaking." -Neku Sakuraba
IP Logged

« Reply #22 on: September 24, 2007, 02:53:38 AM » by Aquillion
I can't get use to the game's Plate system.  Do you ever get the ability to remove or rearrange plates?  Because without it, everything seems to be set up to create massive "SCREW YOU, all your skills are halved" when you get a new plate later on in the game that you realize ought to be someplace where you already have one.

Is there enough room on the Plate grid for every skill?  Also, if your combined plates in a skill take you above the normal maximum you can raise an individual plate in that skill, does the skill get even better, or is it capped?
IP Logged

« Reply #23 on: September 29, 2007, 04:03:08 PM » by Tighran
BTW did the artist do the manga (hentai?) Chirlarity (s?), I know its an ols skool referance, anyone know? 

Yes, Satoshi Urushihara did Chirality. I picked up a volume of it once for the lol factor, and it's distinctly his style.

I pre-ordered a copy as well, but with Warriors Orochi and Persona 3, it'll bea  while before I really put any time into this, sadly.
IP Logged

« Reply #24 on: October 01, 2007, 02:30:17 PM » by Speaker59
[paraphrased]
I'll preorder now, pick up later.
At GameStop/EB? HA!  They only hold games 48 hours.
My last preorder with GS/EB was Contact. 
I came in on Tuesday, they didn't have it.  Said come back Thursday.
I came back Thursday, they didn't have it.  Said come back Monday.
I came back the next Tuesday, as I was out of town through  the weekend and Monday.  They got the game in on Friday and sold it Sunday.

I got my $5 preorder payment back, told them they won't be seeing my money again, and have since been very happy with Amazon preorders, where I don't pay anything until the game's shipped, and don't have to fight in line with people for the game, and get the thing delivered to my door for free because all new releases are >$20.
Unwrapping them is like Christmas, but it happens many times a year instead of once.

OK, two things. First off, and pardon my language, but FUCK Gamestop. I'm pretty sure that they and EBgames are one and the same[...]
They are, indeed.  I seem to remember EB being pretty decent back in the day, but they merged in 2005 and have largely sucked since. 

Out of curiosity, though what was the second of the "two things"?
IP Logged

« Reply #25 on: October 08, 2007, 08:45:07 AM » by Corsair Space pirate?
Jesus christ, we get it. you don't like disgaea :\

I bought growlanser generations about a year ago without realizing what it was I was buying (along with front mission 4, gladius and disgaea (yes taht's right at the same time >:)) and i enjoyed them all.) I've been a strategy/RPG whore ever since the first shining force, and i was very pleased with it. (growlanser)

I just wish i had more money to blow on this because, while i've never managed to finish the game; havig started over some three or four times after getting halfway through (i'll play for like 8 hours straight then not play it at allfor like a month so when i come back i'm completely baffled about what the hell is going on) but seriouly,if you've never experienced growlanser and you like strategy RPGs this ought to be right up your alley.

In a way it kinda reminded me of the infinity engine games (bladur's gate, icewind dale, PS:T) with a deeper and more involved/vareid combat system, sans exploration, but other than that superficial similarity, the gameplay is very unique.

and while i don't know much about this newest release, if it's as good as :generations was, then you can be sure that i'll be trying to scrape together the cash to buy it.

METAL.
IP Logged

« Reply #26 on: October 15, 2007, 01:09:03 PM » by Gear Master Blitz
[paraphrased]
I'll preorder now, pick up later.
At GameStop/EB? HA!  They only hold games 48 hours.
My last preorder with GS/EB was Contact. 
I came in on Tuesday, they didn't have it.  Said come back Thursday.
I came back Thursday, they didn't have it.  Said come back Monday.
I came back the next Tuesday, as I was out of town through  the weekend and Monday.  They got the game in on Friday and sold it Sunday.

I got my $5 preorder payment back, told them they won't be seeing my money again, and have since been very happy with Amazon preorders, where I don't pay anything until the game's shipped, and don't have to fight in line with people for the game, and get the thing delivered to my door for free because all new releases are >$20.
Unwrapping them is like Christmas, but it happens many times a year instead of once.

OK, two things. First off, and pardon my language, but FUCK Gamestop. I'm pretty sure that they and EBgames are one and the same[...]
They are, indeed.  I seem to remember EB being pretty decent back in the day, but they merged in 2005 and have largely sucked since. 

Out of curiosity, though what was the second of the "two things"?

Uh, the second thing? ....Hmm. I can't remember. I kinda went off on a tangent, and I probably even forgot before I finished writing. :P
At any rate, I was able to tear into the game early and am playing it now, but, well... Am I the only one who is a bit dissapointed? The beginning was really slow and boring (needing to play as 4 characters before I even saw my main char? LAME!) and even now, I find out that your character selection for party members is REALLY limited.
*Warning* Slight spoilers concerning when you get certain characters coming up!

First off, you basically only get 5 characters to choose from for your party that is consisted of four members. That's 5 including your main character. On top of that, they chose some of the lamest characters in the game to be the party members. There are two that are cool that you get to up the number to 7 members, but those two you don't get until 2 battles before the end of the game, and only if you satisfy certain conditions.. After seeing all the characters in the game, I had already decided which characters I wanted in my party (as I often do early on in games) only to discover that 2 of them you don't get until near the end of the game, and the other one you don't get AT ALL, regardless of the fact that she has her own unique weapon style. Besides all that, with this new plate system, as was already posted by someone else, it's hard to tell if you will be able to remove plates or whatnot so it makes you hesitate to place any plates on for fear that they'll become useless later on, or that you'll find better plates but you won't have any room for them. Besides all this, the combat is still fun, but the A.I. is really poor. My teammates keep wasting m.p. all the time, even after tinkering with the A.I. settings. The world is pretty lame, though, because they supposedly say that you can avoid monsters because you can see them before you encounter them, but that's almost never the case since the world is consisted entirely of narrow paths.

Long story short, I miss my rings, I miss my skills, and I miss my ultra kick-ass team from 3 of Slayn, Monika, Wein, and Riviera.
On a side note, after re-reading this, it looks like a review, which wasn't my intention. Sorry! :P

"Hello? Dead kid speaking." -Neku Sakuraba
IP Logged

« Reply #27 on: October 15, 2007, 01:27:50 PM » by Duke Fleed
I would request a condensed version. 

No, it's okay I'm just kidding. 

I just wish ffxi and ffxii had the battle system of growlanser.  I hate being able to move but not dodge!

If the monster isn't within your range, it can't fucking hit you!
IP Logged

(Read 14503 times) 1 [2]
Jump to: