recomendations needed.

You are here: The Pantheon / Seven Heavens / Elysium - Gaming / Topic: Recomendations needed.

Gon is really angry
 right now.

ThreadTools

Print

ForumStats

11043 Posts, 545 Topics, 780 Members, Latest Member: jnmoors01

This forum is Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2005, Simple Machines integrated by Datschge basing on Simplicity by Bloc
 (Read 15730 times) [1] 2 3

Recomendations needed.
« on: May 07, 2008, 01:11:26 AM » by Word on the Wind Fanservice with a vengence!
« Last Edit: May 07, 2008, 01:15:43 AM by Arle »
I need some suggestions for some good GBA games to play that aren't Mario, Metroid, Pocket Garbage (Think for a  bit) Mega/Rockman, Golden Sun, Sonic, Kirby, Mother 3, Mana, Zelda or SRW and preferabley not RPGs in general.

Any suggestions?

I miss my signature.
IP Logged

Re: Recomendations needed.
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2008, 01:39:02 AM » by Chaostic Dark, Light, Shadow, Time, Chaos, PIKE
not giving us much to work with here

Gunstar Super Heroes, Recca no Honoo, River City Ransom EX, Fire Emblem, Boktai The Sun Is in Your Hand, Zone of the Enders The Fist of Mars, Sudoku Fever, Oddworld Munch's Oddysee
IP Logged

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2008, 02:00:39 AM » by JayBee That's how I roll.
There's a good GBA Metroid? Why didn't anyone tell me?

Try Castlevania: Circle of the Moon. Or I guess Aria of Sorrow if you're a sissy.

Also Mario Kart.
What? it's not REALLY a Mario game...

Hmm, my GBA collection is pretty slim.

APPRIVOISE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
IP Logged

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2008, 06:44:29 AM » by Gideon Zhi Devil Summoner
DRILL DOZER

IP Logged

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2008, 06:55:33 AM » by Word on the Wind Fanservice with a vengence!
Not givin' much to work with because I've either already played 'em or have no interest.

So far, I'd say Gid's got the best bet.

I miss my signature.
IP Logged

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2008, 11:54:44 PM » by Galanthos
All the GBA Castlevania games were pretty good, but might count as kinda RPGish, to break it down

Play Circle of the Moon if you want a more action oriented Castlevania game, one a bit closer to the old Castlevanias

Play Harmony of Dissonance if you want something similar to Symphony of the Night.

Play Aria of Sorrow if you are really, really into collecting things in a game.

Also, try Sigma Star Saga, it also has RPG elements, but is primarily an exploration/puzzle game, with sidescrolling shooter elements. Yeah, try and reconcile that combo why don't you.

Both Advance Wars games are great if you like turn based strategy, but both also pale in comparison to their DS counterparts. But if you are playing for the campaign missions, then no problems,

RPGs that merit a look, despite you saying you didn't want them

Lufia and the Ruins of Lore. If you can get past the goofy story, there is some good content, and a pretty fun random dungeon romp

Riviera the Promised Land. Pretty different from your standard RPG as far as battles and development go. I never got to far into it though

Phantasy Star Collection, Because it is like getting Phantasy Star 2, which is a great game, with the bonus of also having Phantasy Star 1` and 3, which are also awesome.
IP Logged

« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2008, 01:53:07 AM » by Word on the Wind Fanservice with a vengence!
All the GBA Castlevania games were pretty good, but might count as kinda RPGish, to break it down

Play Circle of the Moon if you want a more action oriented Castlevania game, one a bit closer to the old Castlevanias

Play Harmony of Dissonance if you want something similar to Symphony of the Night.

Play Aria of Sorrow if you are really, really into collecting things in a game.

Yeah, not particularly into the Castlevania business, either.

Also, try Sigma Star Saga, it also has RPG elements, but is primarily an exploration/puzzle game, with sidescrolling shooter elements. Yeah, try and reconcile that combo why don't you.

I'll look into it.

Both Advance Wars games are great if you like turn based strategy, but both also pale in comparison to their DS counterparts. But if you are playing for the campaign missions, then no problems,

Played and finished both, I'm a regular at AWBW and I am reasonabley skilled on a competetive level. I could use more practice, granted, but I can kick the garbage out of a vast majority of non-members.

RPGs that merit a look, despite you saying you didn't want them

1. Lufia and the Ruins of Lore. If you can get past the goofy story, there is some good content, and a pretty fun random dungeon romp

2. Riviera the Promised Land. Pretty different from your standard RPG as far as battles and development go. I never got to far into it though

3. Phantasy Star Collection, Because it is like getting Phantasy Star 2, which is a great game, with the bonus of also having Phantasy Star 1` and 3, which are also awesome.

1. I absolutely refuse to play that game. Lufia's last good title was Rise of the Sinistrals and no one can refute that. Further, if I want random dungeons, I have a NetHack game in progress as a Valkyrie at Dungeon level 12, havin' cleared Minetown and Sokoban.

2. I'll look into it.

3. PS is dandy, though my attention span can't handle is, 2's a huge encounter grindfest headache, three's the same as two only with somehow uglier visuals and deplorable music. I played and finished PS4, I enjoyed that one quite a bit.

Thank ye for yer suggestions.

I miss my signature.
IP Logged

« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2008, 08:30:42 AM » by Gideon Zhi Devil Summoner
Yeah, I'll second Riviera and Sigma Star Saga - both are great games in their own right. I think Drill Dozer's more what you're looking for though - it's a stage-based sidescroller with lots of little secrets to find. It's also adorable and a lot of fun :D

IP Logged

« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2008, 08:47:33 AM » by jolly_old_saint
...not one mention of Kingdom Hearts. Sigh.

The GBA guardian heroes game is fun....for a while, anyway. Not a tenth as cool as the Saturn game, but entertaining in its own right. Plus, it has a nice "revenge" system where you can sell your soul to the devil and keep kicking ass for like ten minutes after you die.

The Demikids games are also entertaining in a "megami tensei disguised as pokemon" kinda way.

For a game seemingly made by three people, Justice League Heroes - The Flash is also pretty fun. Simple and short, but a nice beat 'em up.

At the end of things, just-faiz the means.
http://www.youtube.com/user/jollytheoldsaint
IP Logged

« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2008, 09:07:37 AM » by Derek The Blue Wings of Kyonoshi
Thirding the nom for Sigma Star Saga. The story's a little confusing and forced towards the middle, but the shooter random battles can be fun.

Well, okay. Some of the randoms can suck out loud with the wrong ship, but you can usually get lucky with them.

dragonmasterjb0: Apparently, in the new series, Lina is arrested at one point on charges of being Lina Inverse.

The rest of the party, in typical Slayers fashion, gives a reaction to the effect of "Sounds reasonable."
IP Logged

« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2008, 12:07:51 PM » by Word on the Wind Fanservice with a vengence!
Saint, I finished KH:CoM years ago.

I've played some of SSS, while it seems rather corny and somethings just dun add up (Ship crashes/explodes, immediately replaced by another with a minimal lose in life and all on-screen enemies explode = WTF) it seems to be rather dandy. Ain't played Guardian Heroes, but I HAVE played Gunstar Super Heroes.

DD's got some potential, though I just know I'll invariabley get stuck at SOME stupid part wherethe solution o a physically puzzle is really bloody obvious.

I would like to put forth that my interest in MegaTen is passive at best. I'm not an overly huge fan of the "Get creatures to fight for/alongside ye" method. I will however admit that there are certainly some memorable moments.

Also, just for clarification, I'm open to RPGs, but I'd rather they be quirky or unusual, kind of like what SSS is doin'. meanwhile things like Final Fantasy and Dragon quest just bore the hell out of me. Though, SaGa's got enough flavor to hold my interest, there's none on the GBA.  >_>

And before anyone asks, I'm not against Mother 3, i'm just waitin' until i'll be able to enjoy it in full.

I miss my signature.
IP Logged

« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2008, 12:52:18 PM » by Sume Gai AGGF Master
I wouldn't call it quirky but if you haven't played them try out the two officially translated Fire Emblem games

Looking through my 'sizable GBA collection I don't see many non-RPGs (unless you don't count Harvest Moon FoMT as  an RPG)

If you are a man you'll do what's important before you grieve  -Captain Harlock
IP Logged

« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2008, 02:08:40 PM » by Gideon Zhi Devil Summoner
Definitely try Riviera and Yggdra Union, then. They do RPG and Strategy/RPG differently than the usual, especially Riviera.

IP Logged

« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2008, 02:47:08 PM » by Word on the Wind Fanservice with a vengence!
I've at least HEARD of Yggra before, probably here. So yeah, I'll look into those in due time.

I miss my signature.
IP Logged

« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2008, 02:55:22 PM » by Chaostic Dark, Light, Shadow, Time, Chaos, PIKE
Definitely try Riviera and Yggdra Union, then. They do RPG and Strategy/RPG differently than the usual, especially Riviera.

yay I finally seen all the endings to Riviera

back on topic you can try Summon Night Swordcraft Story 2 or Slime Morimori Dragon Quest Shougeki No Shippo Dan

and yeah Yggra is a interesting game to say the least
IP Logged

(Read 15730 times) [1] 2 3
Jump to: