star ocean: to the cosmos.

You are here: The Pantheon / Seven Heavens / Elysium - Gaming / Topic: Star Ocean: to the cosmos.

Gon is really angry
 right now.

ThreadTools

Print

ForumStats

11017 Posts, 538 Topics, 757 Members, Latest Member: jssnormns01

This forum is Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2005, Simple Machines integrated by Datschge basing on Simplicity by Bloc
 (Read 27310 times) 1 2 [3] 4

Re: Star Ocean: to the cosmos.
« Reply #30 on: September 23, 2007, 11:43:44 PM » by JayBee That's how I roll.
I loved how you could execute a private action in a town, and then steal your own team mates' belongings.
What was up with that, anyways?
They'd sit there making you buy them gear, and they had all this awesome stuff on them that was like 5x better at some points. 

They DESERVED to get their sorry freeloader asses robbed.

APPRIVOISE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
IP Logged

« Reply #31 on: September 24, 2007, 12:07:14 PM » by Ian Kelley
I still can't stand seeing the name "Claude." It's CRAWD, dammit, Crawd! The only reason it got renamed is because "Crawd" reminded the translator of crawdads. Changing names is sometimes justified, but not just because you think they sound dumb.
IP Logged

« Reply #32 on: September 25, 2007, 06:55:00 PM » by JayBee That's how I roll.
Oh, come on.
Claude is a name. Crawd is not.
If you ask me, it was a blatant engrish attempt at Claude in the first place.

The only thing that bothers me is it's inconsistent. There's at least one voice clip where he calls himself Crawd ANYWAYS.

APPRIVOISE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
IP Logged

« Reply #33 on: September 25, 2007, 09:43:17 PM » by Duke Fleed
A flash animation is now up regarding SO1: FD on it's official site.

I'm not gonna bother hosting them but there's 10 or so new, and rather impressive screens.  See link below.

http://www.eternalsphere.com/so1/

IP Logged

« Reply #34 on: September 26, 2007, 07:52:53 AM » by Ian Kelley
Oh, come on.
Claude is a name. Crawd is not.
If you ask me, it was a blatant engrish attempt at Claude in the first place.

Star Ocean (or Japanese games in general) are not known for using real names. When was the last time you saw anyone named Ronixis? Or Ratix? "Claude" is a common enough name that even the Japanese wouldn't mess it up Engrish-wise, especially since there are at least a few semi-major companies in Japan named that.

Bottom line is unless it's a crystal-clear Engrishification (e.g. Xanadu's "Assassin Bag" instead of "Assassin Bug") you don't get to change it, even if you don't like it. Lord knows I've had to go with a few names in the past I thought were really stupid but had a canon romanization. Mystic Ark was chock-full of them. :)
IP Logged

« Reply #35 on: September 28, 2007, 12:54:24 PM » by AmineHsu
...That isn't Ratix...or Rena....seriously who did they hire to come up with this boneheaded idea?=O.o=
IP Logged

« Reply #36 on: October 03, 2007, 02:23:41 PM » by Duke Fleed
« Last Edit: October 04, 2007, 08:42:47 AM by Duke Fleed »
"Japanese gaming magazine Famitsu reports that the Sony PSP's Star Ocean: First Departure - a refurbished version of the first Star Ocean game - will be released in Japan on December 27.

And the best part? Like Crisis Core, Star Ocean: First Departure will have its own PSP bundle, which means yet another limited edition PSP to collect (alright!)

Star Ocean: First Departure is only one of the two remakes produced by Square Enix for the PSP. The other game is Star Ocean: Second Evolution, which picks up the events of the second Star Ocean game. Definitely a must-have for fans of classic Square Enix RPG titles"

Proof via famitsu scans:

IP Logged

« Reply #37 on: October 03, 2007, 11:56:46 PM » by Osairis
MAN...A limited edition PSP for Star Ocean? Man...I liked how the Crisis Core one looked, now it makes me curious to see the Star Ocean one...If things pull in at work I'll definitely import one. But on a side note..Tri-Ace is working on Infinite UNdiscovery.....A WTF name for a title, but the game looks interesting and helps add Japanese RPG gaming to the 360.

IP Logged

STAR Ocean JP tv trailer 1
« Reply #38 on: October 05, 2007, 08:05:42 PM » by Duke Fleed
« Last Edit: October 06, 2007, 06:32:14 AM by Duke Fleed »
Attached is the first Trailer for the game. 

http://www.badongo.com/file/4608246

"If you've been keeping tabs on the new Star Ocean series Square Enix has planned for the PSP, then you'll be pleased to know that the once teaser site for Star Ocean: First Departure has a few new additions since it first went live last month.

In addition to the native Fellpool characters already in the character profiles section, the technological advanced humans, namely Ronixis J. Kenny and Iria Silvestoli, have finally joined the list. You might also be interested to know that they've expanded the World section, which details the different areas in the game, spanning from the Earth Federation to the planet of Roak. Of course, the entire site is in Japanese but you can easily navigate through the English titled menus easily enough.

For those of you who aren't familiar with the first Star Ocean story, it traces the story of Ratix and his friends from the planet Roak. When a strange disease infests their planet, a pair of humans from the Earth Federation (Ronixis and Iria) arrive and tells the native Fellpools that an alien civilization has plans for the underdeveloped race.

For such a good game, it's sad to see that this game never got the recognition it deserved when it first came out on the Super Famicom. Now that the remake is well on its way for the PSP, new gamers and old fans alike can experience where the well-loved RPG series all began. Hopefully, we'll be seeing updates for Star Ocean: Second Evolution soon as well." -Charles Darwin.

RONIXIS J KENNI

IP Logged

« Reply #39 on: October 06, 2007, 10:54:15 AM » by Ian Kelley
You know, I've been thinking--it really should not be Felpool but Felpurr. I thought myself Felpool was fine for a long time, but then I fired up Wizardry 7 and realized that the cat-race of Star Ocean was an homage to the cat-race of Wizardry, the Felpurrs.
IP Logged

« Reply #40 on: October 06, 2007, 12:28:08 PM » by Derek The Blue Wings of Kyonoshi
I should feel bad about this, but I don't.

Am I the only one who looked at Ronixis's ugly ass portrait and thought to myself, "Well, that sure explains Claude"?

dragonmasterjb0: Apparently, in the new series, Lina is arrested at one point on charges of being Lina Inverse.

The rest of the party, in typical Slayers fashion, gives a reaction to the effect of "Sounds reasonable."
IP Logged

« Reply #41 on: October 12, 2007, 09:23:57 AM » by Duke Fleed
SO1 Update:

"...some of the characters revealed in this update include Eris and Joshua Jerand. They made their debut during the original title. He is some sort of a 'Red Mage' that can cast both healing and destructive spells.

The World section focuses on The Feather Folk (Joshua's home) while the updates on the System and New Elements menus reveals the changes to the RPG component of this game. We are definitely keeping an eye on this game and we can't wait to hear an official Western release announcement."

Joshua Jerand

Eris

Degree of feeling - Kind of like a limit break, when a character dies, any other character in battle who has ties to that one will be thrown into a violent rage and see some serious stat boosts.

IP Logged

« Reply #42 on: October 12, 2007, 02:32:01 PM » by AmineHsu
Ronxis looks so hideous.=O.O=
IP Logged

« Reply #43 on: October 14, 2007, 08:01:34 AM » by Andrew The Dragon Knight
Ronxis looks so hideous.=O.O=

He also looks like a fighter, not a mage. What happened?

My current inventory is: One transforming katana, one flight suit, one Caster, various Caster shells, one gallant (including stock and barrel) and an optimistic attitude.
IP Logged

« Reply #44 on: October 14, 2007, 08:58:03 PM » by Wight

Star Ocean (or Japanese games in general) are not known for using real names. When was the last time you saw anyone named Ronixis? Or Ratix? "Claude" is a common enough name that even the Japanese wouldn't mess it up Engrish-wise, especially since there are at least a few semi-major companies in Japan named that.

Just out of curiosity, wouldn't Claude and Crawd be pronounced almost the same way anyway?  Since the sound is actually somewhere between the L and R anyway.

Anyway, what do you mean by Ronixis looks like a fighter?  He doesn't exactly look like a mage in his SNES incarnation, either.
IP Logged

(Read 27310 times) 1 2 [3] 4
Jump to: