star ocean: to the cosmos.

You are here: The Pantheon / Seven Heavens / Elysium - Gaming / Topic: Star Ocean: to the cosmos.

Gon is really angry
 right now.

ThreadTools

Print

ForumStats

11026 Posts, 541 Topics, 767 Members, Latest Member: metalmight

This forum is Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2005, Simple Machines integrated by Datschge basing on Simplicity by Bloc
 (Read 28214 times) 1 2 3 [4]

Re: Star Ocean: to the cosmos.
« Reply #45 on: October 16, 2007, 01:54:27 PM » by Ian Kelley
Just out of curiosity, wouldn't Claude and Crawd be pronounced almost the same way anyway?  Since the sound is actually somewhere between the L and R anyway.

Actually yeah, kana-fied they'd be exactly the same thing. When I first saw the initial screenshots I thought it was Claude myself until I got the game and saw it written "Crawd" everywhere.
IP Logged

« Reply #46 on: October 16, 2007, 06:09:39 PM » by Wight
Err.  So it's more a pet peeve sorta thing than anything?
Personally, I can't stand Cress, even if it is the same as Cless.  I figure one main character named after a plant is enough.
IP Logged

« Reply #47 on: October 16, 2007, 08:12:43 PM » by Duke Fleed
that type of thing doesn't really bother me; in the recent port of final fantasy tactics for this handheld, they renamed the Beoulve hero from 'Balbanes' 'Balbaneth.'  that's a whole additional syllable...
IP Logged

« Reply #48 on: October 16, 2007, 08:32:37 PM » by Wight
Err, well . . . It really isn't.  Japaneseification would have both being something like Bal-bah-neys.
IP Logged

« Reply #49 on: October 17, 2007, 01:20:40 PM » by Ian Kelley
Err.  So it's more a pet peeve sorta thing than anything?
Personally, I can't stand Cress, even if it is the same as Cless.  I figure one main character named after a plant is enough.

More or less, I don't approve of excessive "creative license" when it comes to translation. It smacks of unprofessionalism to me I guess. Smoothing over grammar, rewording sentences, or using equivalent slang to make prose flow better is all well and good, but saying "I don't like what the creators did with this game/book/whatever, I'm going to change it to something I like better" feels kind of irresponsible. It's a fuzzy line, but it kind of shows a lack of respect to the original media/creator's intentions I think.

Games aren't art or novels or "high-class" media or anything, but it's still important to try and respect the authors' original intentions as best you can, since a lot of work did go into them. Just my $0.02 though.
IP Logged

« Reply #50 on: October 21, 2007, 08:30:06 PM » by KingMike
Oh, come on.
Claude is a name. Crawd is not.
If you ask me, it was a blatant engrish attempt at Claude in the first place.

The only thing that bothers me is it's inconsistent. There's at least one voice clip where he calls himself Crawd ANYWAYS.

Yeah marginally relevant point.

On Tuesday, S-E will release the first installment of another series for the first time in America.
The main character is ROYD!
IP Logged

« Reply #51 on: October 21, 2007, 09:09:03 PM » by Duke Fleed
Wow, the time sure flies, huh.  It's a shame we didn't get a release of front mission 5...it looked stunning.
IP Logged

« Reply #52 on: October 24, 2007, 01:24:20 PM » by Corsair Space pirate?
I still can't stand seeing the name "Claude." It's CRAWD, dammit, Crawd! The only reason it got renamed is because "Crawd" reminded the translator of crawdads. Changing names is sometimes justified, but not just because you think they sound dumb.

I know this is old, but...

CLAUDE CLAUDE CLAUDE CLAUDE CLAUDE CLAUDE CLAUDE CLAUDE CLAUDE CLAUDE CLAUDE CLAUDE CLAUDE CLAUDE CLAUDE CLAUDE CLAUDE CLAUDE CLAUDE CLAUDE CLAUDE CLAUDE CLAUDE CLAUDE CLAUDE CLAUDE CLAUDE CLAUDE CLAUDE CLAUDE

Now that i've got that out of my system, crawd is not an actual name for one thing. since R's and L's are mostly interchangable from what I understand, let's look at it this way:

CRAWD
CLAWD
CLAUDE

Seems like a logical progression anyway...
Say them out loud and see which one makes you feel silly.

METAL.
IP Logged

« Reply #53 on: October 24, 2007, 04:03:30 PM » by Wight
Ahh, maturity and intelligence at its best.
We've already gone over the L=R and the "Claude is a name" bit.
IP Logged

« Reply #54 on: October 24, 2007, 09:56:02 PM » by Corsair Space pirate?
Ahh, maturity and intelligence at its best.
We've already gone over the L=R and the "Claude is a name" bit.

i'm nitpicking at nitpicking. no need to turn your nose up.

METAL.
IP Logged

« Reply #55 on: October 24, 2007, 10:01:40 PM » by Duke Fleed
Make sure you donate to gid's blog (link in the top bar.  I just opened a paypal account finally and decided that 10 percent of whatever i purchase will be given to him.  (tales of symphonia = 20.00) --2.00.

So make sure you support his cause.
IP Logged

(Read 28214 times) 1 2 3 [4]
Jump to: