for those in the post-apocalytic future

You are here: The Pantheon / Seven Heavens / Elysium - Gaming / Topic: For those in the post-apocalytic future

Gon is really angry
 right now.

ThreadTools

Print

ForumStats

10987 Posts, 530 Topics, 743 Members, Latest Member: brbrafns01

This forum is Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2005, Simple Machines integrated by Datschge basing on Simplicity by Bloc
 (Read 1279 times) [1]

For those in the post-apocalytic future
« on: July 16, 2008, 11:57:56 PM » by Dsvaun
Sorry, this isn't a Metal Max thread, but it is something similar for those who want to wander through an apocolyptic wasteland.  Recently, a game that I have been waiting for has shown it's head.  I speak of Fallout 3.  If you haven't played any of the first two games, heres a quick description. 

In the not so near future, the world is competing for the dwindling resources such as Petroleum and Uranium.  Breakthroughs in fusion have been made, however before they reach the point where they can benefit mankind, the competition for resources turns into nuclear war lasting a matter of hours.  Civilization is decimated with the exception of those who managed to secure housing in large underground bomb shelters known as Vaults.  The main characters in the games either come from a vault or have some strong connection with them.

The game mainly plays on the idea of the apocolypse from the view of the 50s.  This ranges from rayguns to the idea of viruses turning people into mutants.  The first two were excellent games.  The difference with the third one is that apposed to being made by Black Isle under Interplay (who is essentially out of business), Fallout 3 is being made by Bethesda, the creators of Oblivion.

On the one hand, it may look like they just took Oblivion and said "Hey, let's make this a first person shooter in the wasteland!".  On the other hand, it keeps some of the things that made Fallout 1&2 great games such as the SPECIAL stat system and even made a new targeting system based on the original two game's combat called VATs.  One example is the special ability (or perk) called Bloody mess.  Essentially, whenever you kill an enemy, they will die in the most (sometimes rediculously) bloody ways.  One example shown in gameplay footage was with a weapon that can be custom made called the Rock-it launcher, which launches any crap you might have in your inventory (such as lunchboxes or teddy bears).  One of the weapons shown is called the Fatman, which is essentially a miniature NUKE launcher!  I could go on for a while, but I think I'll let the videos explain it for me.  It'll be available on multiple consoles and PC.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rg9t7uXkLyA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zYxrEX9o6hg
IP Logged

Re: For those in the post-apocalytic future
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2008, 12:45:25 PM » by Chibi Kami
It looks good. I'm not sure whther to rejoice or revile at the seemingly fps/tps format, as that would typically ruin an RPG series, but it seems to work well here.

I wonder how many people know that this is actually the fourth game in its series. Fallout 1 was actually the sequel to CRPG perfect classic Wasteland (Of course, saying that is probably going to make everyone run off to various websites looking for WL, downloading it, playing it, and ultimately deciding that its archaic 16-color graphics and control format suck and never play it again).

The power of love is the most chaotic and destructive force in the known universe.
IP Logged

(Read 1279 times) [1]
Jump to: