announcement news ~ lunar announced - feedback wanted

You are here: The Pantheon / Seven Heavens / Svarga - Site News / Topic: Announcement News ~ LUNAR announced - feedback wanted

Gon is calm
 right now.

ThreadTools

Print

ForumStats

10943 Posts, 519 Topics, 734 Members, Latest Member: plinio0

This forum is Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2005, Simple Machines integrated by Datschge basing on Simplicity by Bloc
 (Read 39954 times) [1] 2 3 4

Announcement News ~ LUNAR announced - feedback wanted
« on: August 03, 2008, 05:49:23 PM » by Gideon Zhi Devil Summoner
So here it is, ready to be playtested... or is it? The script is still slightly wooden, in a translated-from-Japanese sort of way. It´s hard to pinpoint what´s wrong with it, and maybe it´s only something that a trained eye can see, but it´s certainly not on par with recent stuff like LaL 2.0. Passable, maybe? I´m not sure.

So, I´m asking for opinions. Would you all rather see another edit pass, or should I just toss it into betatesting? It´s certainly otherwise ready.
Screenshot Screenshot

IP Logged

Re: Announcement News ~ LUNAR announced - feedback wanted
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2008, 06:16:34 PM » by Armetius
Since many Lunar fans have experienced the wonderful localization that Working Designs used to give their games, we... er they will probably have high expectations for this game's script. You might want to do something to it.
IP Logged

Re: Announcement News ~ LUNAR announced -
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2008, 07:37:04 PM » by jolly_old_saint
Having no idea what the game's like, I'm kinda indifferent on this one. That said, you could always try for a lunar 2.0 (with all the weapons replaced with walkie-talkies!).

At the end of things, just-faiz the means.
http://www.youtube.com/user/jollytheoldsaint
IP Logged

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2008, 09:23:14 PM » by Sakura77 Lost Newtype Child
I'd like for another edit but, if you are pressed for time you can release a updated patch later on like LaL.

Things can always get worse...
IP Logged

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2008, 01:04:28 AM » by Chibi Kami
I'd like to see an example of what you believe to be wooden dialogue before I form an opinion on its potentially premature release. Nothing story spoiling, mind you, just a random piece of NPC text will do.

The power of love is the most chaotic and destructive force in the known universe.
IP Logged

« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2008, 02:51:12 AM » by JayBee That's how I roll.
Off the cuff, I'd say go for another editing pass.

We've ALREADY waited over a decade, what's another few months?

In fact:
When is Lunar coming out?

There. Now it's delayed anyways, so you can feel free to get that polish. :P

APPRIVOISE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
IP Logged

« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2008, 03:08:51 PM » by RedComet
I'd say put some polish on it. Better to take a little longer and do it right the first time and make sure the patch is of the quality people expect from AGTP. :)

IP Logged

« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2008, 07:59:10 AM » by I.S.T.
That said, you could always try for a lunar 2.0 (with all the weapons replaced with walkie-talkies!).

LOL

I'd say give it another editing pass if reasonably possible. If not, beta test it and go back to it later.
IP Logged

« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2008, 12:39:45 AM » by Guncannoneer
I agree with what appears to be the consensus so far.  Some further editing might be the best choice.  The Lunar fans I know are fairly picky, and since this game may not be on par with other Lunar titles, in a way that's all the more reason to give it a top-notch script, so that those who choose to play through it can enjoy the experience as much as possible.

That being said, I've never personally felt scripts feeling too Japanese-y is all that big of a problem.  It depends on the source material, I suppose.  I prefer my subtitled movies to be fairly literal/accurate, but the industry standard for games has generally been to English-ize them as much as possible.  I honestly felt Working Designs overdid it with the pop culture jokes, but they still did a decent job.

In any case, the most important thing is that you're satisfied with the script, since you've been working at this romhacking thing for a good while now and you surely know iffy work when you see it.  So yeah, giving it another crack sounds like a good idea.
IP Logged

« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2008, 11:49:02 PM » by JayBee That's how I roll.
Of course, Working Designs insisted they were replacing japanese jokes that weren't translatable with english ones.
And the general tone of the Lunar games bears that out(though I'm sure SOMEONE is insisting they re-animated the cutscenes to add jokes...). Certainly less transient jokes would've been better for several years down the line, but... they weren't selling games for several years down the line.

Now, the whole Silhouette Mirage debacle... that's another story.

APPRIVOISE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
IP Logged

« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2008, 02:58:22 PM » by ChrisABlair
If I could check it out, then I could give my two cents. Otherwise I'll go with majority.

Sweetdiculous!
IP Logged

« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2008, 04:02:32 AM » by Viriato
« Last Edit: October 14, 2008, 11:58:54 AM by Viriato »
Is anyone aware that localization is an inferior form of autistic racism? Is anyone aware that the use of US-English can be the path to mediocre writing and that people all over the world are getting tired of it? How many games have been spoiled by this so called localization? Can you imagine the sickness in some people's thoughts when they try to bend the original textworks to fit their cultural particularities. Lunar does not take place in the U.S: so it's ridiculous to adapt the game's text to that mediocre culture. Absolute piece of shit, in terms of realism and immersion. A good translator does it properly and with the highest fidelity to the original as possible!
IP Logged

« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2008, 04:19:32 AM » by Ianator is Gaius Baltar.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2008, 05:04:04 AM by Ianator »
Quote from: Viriato
A good tranlator does it properly and with the highest fidelity to the original as possible!
This is exactly what Gid looks for in a translator. This site is for translations, not "localizations", and though I cringe whenever I see someone say "-oniichan" in fansubs I recognize that their main audience knows what the word means.

That said, these are video games, not Renaissance paintings or French film. Just take it easy and know that we English-speakers need this "autistic racism" to get the most out of these games. And if you want to suggest that we all just go and learn Japanese ourselves, well... don't let the door hit you on the way out.

Who is Gaius Baltar? HE'S THE FRAKKIN' PRESIDENT!
IP Logged

« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2008, 03:49:56 PM » by satsu Back against the thin wall
Is anyone aware that localization is an inferior form of autistic racism? Is anyone aware that the use of US-English can be the path to mediocre writing and that people all over the world are getting tired of it? How many games have been spoiled by this so called localization? Can you imagine the sickness in some people's thoughts when they try to bend the original textworks to fit their cultural particularities. Lunar does not take place in the U.S: so it's ridiculous to adapt the game's text to that mediocre culture. Absolute piece of shit, in terms of realism and immersion. A good translator does it properly and with the highest fidelity to the original as possible!

That is some first-rate trolling.
IP Logged

« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2008, 07:02:18 PM » by Viriato
« Last Edit: October 14, 2008, 07:47:56 PM by Viriato »
So here it is, ready to be playtested... or is it? The script is still slightly wooden, in a translated-from-Japanese sort of way. It´s hard to pinpoint what´s wrong with it, and maybe it´s only something that a trained eye can see, but it´s certainly not on par with recent stuff like LaL 2.0. Passable, maybe? I´m not sure.

So, I´m asking for opinions. Would you all rather see another edit pass, or should I just toss it into betatesting? It´s certainly otherwise ready.

Quote: "...in a translated from japanese sort of way..." Isn't that the objective?
Just toss it to betatesting, before it gets even more spoiled.(yes, I read the text on the preview screens or I would not bother to register as a user and post like I did)
And I would like to remind all of you that agtp stands for Aeon Genesis Translation Proclamation, not localization. These folks at AGTP do have some merit, and I'm grateful for some "translations" but that doesn't mean that they must not be encouraged to improve the quality of their work.
Translating into english doesn't mean the characters must use expressions as if they lived in the U.S.. That's something any good translator should be aware of.
IP Logged

(Read 39954 times) [1] 2 3 4
Jump to: