announcement news ~ lunar announced - feedback wanted

You are here: The Pantheon / Seven Heavens / Svarga - Site News / Topic: Announcement News ~ LUNAR announced - feedback wanted

Gon is really angry
 right now.

ThreadTools

Print

ForumStats

10991 Posts, 531 Topics, 745 Members, Latest Member: Shakku

This forum is Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2005, Simple Machines integrated by Datschge basing on Simplicity by Bloc
 (Read 43249 times) 1 [2] 3 4

Re: Announcement News ~ LUNAR announced -
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2008, 06:22:03 PM » by Ianator is Gaius Baltar.
Doesn't it, though? Gid makes absolutely sure to bring out the most of the original Japanese meaning into a form that us anglophiles can at least somewhat comprehend. I'm pretty sure AGTP's works rank among some of the highest-quality out there.

I present to you two samples from GameFAQs...

Super Robot Wars J Story Guide by Nitake92
Super Robot Wars W Walkthrough by MNiedengard

By your definition, Nitake92's story guide should be "better," despite having the sentence structure of a 3rd Grader who got a D- in English. Contrast MNiedengard's guide - despite being almost perfect in grammar and translation, your definition of "better" defines this guide as teh suk.

Open your eyes. Look at all the evidence before you declare a verdict. If you wish to continue this debate, don't do it here.

Who is Gaius Baltar? HE'S THE FRAKKIN' PRESIDENT!
IP Logged

« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2008, 08:33:34 PM » by Viriato
Open your eyes. Look at all the evidence before you declare a verdict. If you wish to continue this debate, don't do it here.

My eyes are opened and they saw a plant speaking like Popeye the Sailor Man, in the translated "Guardian of Paradise" by AGTP. I don't think that was the original author's intention. Anyway, it's inappropriate and distasteful. Let's hope this Lunar translation is neither too crude nor too liberal. As the budists used to say balance is the key.
IP Logged

« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2008, 11:11:48 PM » by Ianator is Gaius Baltar.
My eyes are opened and they saw a plant speaking like Popeye the Sailor Man, in the translated "Guardian of Paradise" by AGTP. I don't think that was the original author's intention.
Why not? WWII brought its fair share of American cultural influences to Japan, many of which are still in full effect to this day. Your complaints will mean nothing until you translate the original Japanese versions yourself. Good luck with that, by the way.

IP Logged

Re: Announcement News ~ LUNAR announced - feedback wanted
« Reply #18 on: October 14, 2008, 11:24:40 PM » by Sume Gai AGGF Master
a good translation will preserve meaning and sometimes meaning is not in the words themselves. 

some "meanings" are best "preserved" by taking liberties such as what you so despise.

If you are a man you'll do what's important before you grieve  -Captain Harlock
IP Logged

« Reply #19 on: October 15, 2008, 12:04:00 AM » by Armetius
in terms of realism and immersion

I think realism was left behind when the developers decided to make a game that takes place in a medieval fantasy world on the moon.
IP Logged

« Reply #20 on: October 15, 2008, 12:17:46 AM » by JayBee That's how I roll.
Lunar does not take place in the U.S: so it's ridiculous to adapt the game's text to that mediocre culture.
US SUX WAH WAH WAH !111

You're one of those "Kaeru not Frog" people, aren't you?

APPRIVOISE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
IP Logged

« Reply #21 on: October 15, 2008, 07:21:39 AM » by SilvrDragn23112 Dragoon of the Bahamut Order
My eyes are opened and they saw a plant speaking like Popeye the Sailor Man, in the translated "Guardian of Paradise" by AGTP. I don't think that was the original author's intention. Anyway, it's inappropriate and distasteful. Let's hope this Lunar translation is neither too crude nor too liberal. As the budists used to say balance is the key.

Viriato, have you considered that the Japanese programmers may simply be making a nod to things from the U.S.? If you want to whine and complain about translations, your time would be better used on someone as notorious as 4Kids. *shudders* They need a boot to the head... and quickly.

In the end, if you want a translation of something, what comes out in that translation is up to the translation team. In terms of AGTP, Gideon owes us nothing - - yet he keeps translating these games anyway. It's not like we're paying him to translate these games; if we did, then we might have a say in what happens with the translations.

While I respect the fact that you are taking this up peacefully, I do wish you'd be more open to what we're saying.

~SilvrDragn23112
IP Logged

« Reply #22 on: October 20, 2008, 05:53:46 PM » by Viriato
« Last Edit: October 20, 2008, 06:05:53 PM by Viriato »
Mr. Gideon,
I begin to suspect you are sponsored by the U.S. government.Quit producing this mediocre stuff !!! The lack of taste, the lack of faithfulness and respect to the original works you supposedly translate turns out to be offensive. Your behavior resembles the kind we can observe on a highschool bully. Who is a Troll, afterall? The thing is, if you and your mates wanted you could do better than that... I mean I guess it's a sort of trend in the rom translation scene: SPOILING AND DISTORTING IS FUN! You deliberatly spoil the games atmosphere and bend the story to a piece of shit. Did you know that at a recent poll at rpgamer.com over 70% of the voters considered the story the most important aspect of a RPG? Only 20% voted for the battle system. Now you bastards obviously have no respect for the story or are so mediocre that you don't value it enough. And that way you are turning an otherwise world wide enjoyable experience into something only you and your shortminded community can enjoy. Why don't you and your friends go and throw some stones at the white house windows? Maybe you could even hit the president, that would be a much more valuable waste of energy ! ! !
IP Logged

« Reply #23 on: October 20, 2008, 06:07:03 PM » by Ianator is Gaius Baltar.
Alright then.

Let's see you do better.

IP Logged

« Reply #24 on: October 20, 2008, 06:46:13 PM » by Sume Gai AGGF Master
Ha Ha OH wow
You don't like AGTP's patches?

guess what?

You don't have to use them.

If you are a man you'll do what's important before you grieve  -Captain Harlock
IP Logged

« Reply #25 on: October 20, 2008, 07:35:29 PM » by Gideon Zhi Devil Summoner
Apparently, somebody doesn't understand the concept of backwards possessives. It is the request of the board that this person be banned. Thus, he has become the meal of Gon.

Seriously. Do we *really* want writing like that in our RPGs?

IP Logged

« Reply #26 on: October 20, 2008, 08:17:32 PM » by Ianator is Gaius Baltar.
Thank you. Now, let's get this topic back on track.

I've never played a Lunar game before. What are they like, compared to more "mainstream" properties such as Final Fantasy?

IP Logged

« Reply #27 on: October 20, 2008, 08:43:17 PM » by SilvrDragn23112 Dragoon of the Bahamut Order
Ianator,

LUNAR is a series that mixes good story with comedy, and interesting battle systems. I've only played LUNAR: Silver Star Story Complete. (Lunar: Dragon Song doesn't count. Bleck.)

I can tell you a little about L:SSSC. The battle system is kind of like a semi-tactical RPG. Your team of up to five characters can move a set amount of distance on a 2D plane, and attack enemies there. I'm only aware of one battle where there are obstacles in your way in the field, so don't think it's heavily strategy. Your placement affects what enemies you can and can't hit, so you have to be careful.

The story is pretty good, and it has several lovable characters. Every character has a strong background, and a well-developed personality. I'm a fan of Nall and Ruby, two dragons from the series.

LUNAR is still a RPG, though, so you could say it's similar to the Final Fantasies.

If you've got any more specific questions, I'd be willing to answer them. ^_^

~SilvrDragn23112
IP Logged

« Reply #28 on: October 21, 2008, 12:25:07 AM » by JayBee That's how I roll.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2008, 12:27:31 AM by JayBee »
As someone that's been down with the franchise since he first saw The Silver Star while visiting a friend, and originally acquired a Genesis and SegaCD JUST for the Lunar games...

Get a SegaCD emulator.
Get an Eternal Blue disk image.
Play the best JRPG ever.
In the top 3, anyways. WAY above any Dragon Fantasy or Final Quest entry.

If you want more detail, for some CRAZY reason...

The closest game I can think of is Grandia 2, which actually struck me as a clear Lunar 2 derivative.
I never played enough of Grandia 1 to say where it winds up going.

They start fairly light(kids goofing around, basically), and build to epic battles of world-shattering proportions. As in, you're brawling with gods, with the fate of the world hanging in the balance.
Or at least with a deranged magician that's brainwashed a god and might possibly be posessed by a demon, in Silver Star's case.

Lunar 2 gets the epic in gear a little faster... okay, a LOT faster than Silver Star, and builds to much larger levels. It also has a much more refined game engine(I strongly suspect Silver Star had cuts made to keep it on schedule).

The light-hearted nature of Silver Star's beginning leaves you with a bit of whiplash once things start to go south, though. Especially since they go south in a big way, with pretty much Alex's entire world shattered in the space of 5 minutes. 

And Lunar 2's (first) ending is one of the more emotional scenes I've seen in a video game.

I laugh at anyone that admits to crying when Aeris died(c'mon, it's ham-handed and awkward, how can you take that seriously?). But Lunar 2's ending jerked some tears out of me.
Hell, first time I beat it, I spent a few minutes just staring at "the end" in stunned disbelief.

The fact that the SegaCD version creates the clear game save in secret adds a bit to the impact. I didn't even know about it's existence until I went to replay the game. The PS version's request to save  kind of spoils the moment.

I massively recommend the original games over the remakes.
Eternal Blue is far better on the SegaCD in almost every respect(amazingly, the PS version DOESN'T have an advantage on FMV, due to massive overcompression and several deleted scenes). 
Aside from being amazingly dumbed-down gameplay-wise, one or two HUGE plot issues are introduced in the remake, and one of my favorite story sequences was cut totally.

Silver Star Story is little more than a blasphemous mockery of the original. I am very passionate about this issue.

Lunar Legends is a blasphemous mockery of Silver Star Story.
With bad music.
And a Lunar game with bad music... well, that's just wrong on so many levels.

I've never played Dragon Song. I've wept at how far the franchise has fallen since ye olden tymes, though.

In conclusion:
LUCIAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

APPRIVOISE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
IP Logged

« Reply #29 on: October 21, 2008, 12:40:49 AM » by Ianator is Gaius Baltar.
Gotcha. Think I'll work on getting Eternal Blue after I complete the best Final Fantasy game of all time.

WARNING, SPOILER AHEAD! Mystic Quest. You know it's true.

IP Logged

(Read 43249 times) 1 [2] 3 4
Jump to: