announcement news ~ lunar announced - feedback wanted

You are here: The Pantheon / Seven Heavens / Svarga - Site News / Topic: Announcement News ~ LUNAR announced - feedback wanted

Gon is really angry
 right now.

ThreadTools

Print

ForumStats

10987 Posts, 530 Topics, 743 Members, Latest Member: brbrafns01

This forum is Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2005, Simple Machines integrated by Datschge basing on Simplicity by Bloc
 (Read 43153 times) 1 2 [3] 4

Re: Announcement News ~ LUNAR announced - feedback wanted
« Reply #30 on: October 21, 2008, 01:00:52 PM » by Derek The Blue Wings of Kyonoshi
As someone that's been down with the franchise since he first saw The Silver Star while visiting a friend, and originally acquired a Genesis and SegaCD JUST for the Lunar games...

Get a SegaCD emulator.
Get an Eternal Blue disk image.
Play the best JRPG ever.
In the top 3, anyways. WAY above any Dragon Fantasy or Final Quest entry.

If you want more detail, for some CRAZY reason...

The closest game I can think of is Grandia 2, which actually struck me as a clear Lunar 2 derivative.
I never played enough of Grandia 1 to say where it winds up going.

They start fairly light(kids goofing around, basically), and build to epic battles of world-shattering proportions. As in, you're brawling with gods, with the fate of the world hanging in the balance.
Or at least with a deranged magician that's brainwashed a god and might possibly be posessed by a demon, in Silver Star's case.

Lunar 2 gets the epic in gear a little faster... okay, a LOT faster than Silver Star, and builds to much larger levels. It also has a much more refined game engine(I strongly suspect Silver Star had cuts made to keep it on schedule).

The light-hearted nature of Silver Star's beginning leaves you with a bit of whiplash once things start to go south, though. Especially since they go south in a big way, with pretty much Alex's entire world shattered in the space of 5 minutes. 

And Lunar 2's (first) ending is one of the more emotional scenes I've seen in a video game.

I laugh at anyone that admits to crying when Aeris died(c'mon, it's ham-handed and awkward, how can you take that seriously?). But Lunar 2's ending jerked some tears out of me.
Hell, first time I beat it, I spent a few minutes just staring at "the end" in stunned disbelief.

The fact that the SegaCD version creates the clear game save in secret adds a bit to the impact. I didn't even know about it's existence until I went to replay the game. The PS version's request to save  kind of spoils the moment.

I massively recommend the original games over the remakes.
Eternal Blue is far better on the SegaCD in almost every respect(amazingly, the PS version DOESN'T have an advantage on FMV, due to massive overcompression and several deleted scenes). 
Aside from being amazingly dumbed-down gameplay-wise, one or two HUGE plot issues are introduced in the remake, and one of my favorite story sequences was cut totally.

Silver Star Story is little more than a blasphemous mockery of the original. I am very passionate about this issue.

Lunar Legends is a blasphemous mockery of Silver Star Story.
With bad music.
And a Lunar game with bad music... well, that's just wrong on so many levels.

I've never played Dragon Song. I've wept at how far the franchise has fallen since ye olden tymes, though.

In conclusion:
LUCIAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My first experience with Lunar was watching a friend playing EB on his SegaCD one time. Specifically, watching him have to go through one fight OVER and OVER and OVER and OVER AGAIN.

I think anyone who's played EB knows which one I'm talking about.

Part of me was saddened by the fact that they made a major point of toning that battle down in the PS remake, but the rest of me is relieved that I never had to deal with it myself. So, naturally, I made a point of kicking that in the teeth and am now working towards playing it on my SCD emulator.

dragonmasterjb0: Apparently, in the new series, Lina is arrested at one point on charges of being Lina Inverse.

The rest of the party, in typical Slayers fashion, gives a reaction to the effect of "Sounds reasonable."
IP Logged

« Reply #31 on: October 21, 2008, 04:44:55 PM » by JayBee That's how I roll.
My first experience with Lunar was watching a friend playing EB on his SegaCD one time. Specifically, watching him have to go through one fight OVER and OVER and OVER and OVER AGAIN.

Borgan, Borgan, he's our man! If he can't eat it, no one can!

Part of me was saddened by the fact that they made a major point of toning that battle down in the PS remake, but the rest of me is relieved that I never had to deal with it myself. So, naturally, I made a point of kicking that in the teeth and am now working towards playing it on my SCD emulator.
Allegedly, Gravity Bomb does elemental damage.
Hell if I can remember which element, though. Be nice to get some mileage out of all those "half xxxx element damage" stuff that accumulates in Ruby's bag because there's always a better accessory.

APPRIVOISE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
IP Logged

« Reply #32 on: October 23, 2008, 06:10:34 AM » by Derek The Blue Wings of Kyonoshi
« Last Edit: October 23, 2008, 06:13:10 AM by Derek »

Borgan, Borgan, he's our man! If he can't eat it, no one can!

"Well, if it isn't little Lemina and friends!"

I can do that one VO line perfectly, but....

"Hmmhmmhmmhmm....THAT....was a record....of my best work."

I have HIS voice DOWN.

[quoteauthor=JayBee link=topic=205.msg6633#msg6633 date=1224629095]Allegedly, Gravity Bomb does elemental damage.
Hell if I can remember which element, though. Be nice to get some mileage out of all those "half xxxx element damage" stuff that accumulates in Ruby's bag because there's always a better accessory.

That's a fun thing to keep in mind. Who knows, I might actually figure it out when I fight him.

Also, in case anyone's wondering. Yes, Ghaleon IS one of my favorite villians of all time.

(And fully aware that this post looks like crap. What the heck happened to the quote tags?)

dragonmasterjb0: Apparently, in the new series, Lina is arrested at one point on charges of being Lina Inverse.

The rest of the party, in typical Slayers fashion, gives a reaction to the effect of "Sounds reasonable."
IP Logged

Re: Announcement News ~ LUNAR announced -
« Reply #33 on: October 23, 2008, 07:06:08 PM » by Ianator is Gaius Baltar.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2008, 07:19:11 PM by Ianator »
The Dark King has been beaten. Eternal Blue will be started within the week.

Edit: I've never used a Sega CD controller before. Is it just the same as a Genesis controller? Would there be any problems mapping the buttons to my PS controller attached to my computer via USB adapter?

Who is Gaius Baltar? HE'S THE FRAKKIN' PRESIDENT!
IP Logged

« Reply #34 on: October 23, 2008, 09:04:33 PM » by Chibi Kami
I've never used a Sega CD controller before. Is it just the same as a Genesis controller? Would there be any problems mapping the buttons to my PS controller attached to my computer via USB adapter?

A Sega CD controller is technically the same thing as a regular genesis controller, since the CD was an addon for the Genesis instead of a seperate system.

There is a six-button controller that was released sometime after the Genesis 2 console, and that may be what you're thinking of. Few games actually make use of all six buttons.

What I do is assign ABC to square, X, and circle and XYZ to L1, triangle, and R1. I've never had any problem with that arrangement.

The power of love is the most chaotic and destructive force in the known universe.
IP Logged

« Reply #35 on: October 24, 2008, 05:20:26 PM » by Ianator is Gaius Baltar.
So I just started playing Eternal Blue.

MY GODS THIS IS THE MOST BEAUTIFUL GAME I HAVE EVER SEEN

PRETTIER THAN ANYTHING ON THE SNES

LIKE SERIOUSLY

IP Logged

« Reply #36 on: October 24, 2008, 05:35:23 PM » by Derek The Blue Wings of Kyonoshi

LIKE SERIOUSLY

And the Benny Hill scene at the start is just an absolutely beautiful way to introduce a character, isn't it?

IP Logged

« Reply #37 on: October 24, 2008, 05:40:14 PM » by Ianator is Gaius Baltar.
And the Benny Hill scene at the start is just an absolutely beautiful way to introduce a character, isn't it?
If it had the music, it would be perfect.

IP Logged

« Reply #38 on: October 24, 2008, 05:45:42 PM » by Derek The Blue Wings of Kyonoshi
If it had the music, it would be perfect.

It came close with what it had. Hiro's voiceover intro pulled away from it, but it still came damn close.

IP Logged

« Reply #39 on: October 25, 2008, 04:26:39 AM » by JayBee That's how I roll.
As far as controllers go, I use a Satiek pad for my Sega work.
It's got a 3/3 layout that works far better for Genny and Saturn stuff than the now-standard SNES button diamond.
Admittedly, it's not much of an issue in Lunar.

LIKE SERIOUSLY
IMO, the Genny's low color depth is the only thing that really hurts it.
I LOVE EB, but as graphical tours de force go... Chrono Trigger has it beat.

Of course, on the other hand, the occasional FMV spices things up a good deal. I'm not sure what I'd do if we got to watch Lavos go hog-wild in all his glory.
And Lunar 2's voiceovers add a good deal of punch to dramatic moments that WEREN'T given the FMV treatment.
*sings*
Can't do that on Nintendo!

Tangentally, different revisions of the Genesis had different video encoders, resulting in somewhat variable output on a real system. It's perhaps best that you're playing on an emulator, with an "ideal" Genesis.

My Genny2 is one of the "bad" units. It gives everything a slight MPEG artifact look.
For a long time I thought it was a failed attempt at anti-aliasing. 'S part of why I use a Genny1 now.

APPRIVOISE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
IP Logged

« Reply #40 on: October 25, 2008, 01:37:36 PM » by Ianator is Gaius Baltar.
Man, if Chrono Trigger had voices and Lunar2-style cutscenes, it would be the most beautiful 2d game ever made.

Also, I can't believe I have to pay to save.

IP Logged

« Reply #41 on: October 25, 2008, 03:12:19 PM » by ChrisABlair
« Last Edit: October 25, 2008, 04:28:27 PM by ChrisABlair »
I still can't get my ISO of Silver Star to work (Which sucks, because I've never played a Lunar game before) but Lunar 2 works perfectly. Sigh...

EDIT - Nevermind, found another copy and it works fine

Sweetdiculous!
IP Logged

« Reply #42 on: October 26, 2008, 12:36:08 AM » by JayBee That's how I roll.
Also, I can't believe I have to pay to save.
Aww, c'mon, magic XP rains down like... like... something that falls often and in great quantities.

And it's not like you have to leave and find an inn like in ye old NES FF/DQ games. Or even a save point.
Surely losing 2 fights' worth of magic XP is a fair exchange for being able to save absolutely anywhere?

APPRIVOISE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
IP Logged

« Reply #43 on: October 26, 2008, 03:26:38 AM » by Ianator is Gaius Baltar.
Oh, I suppose. Guess I still need to get used to Kega Fusion not supporting SegaCD savestates...

So, I'm trying to avoid spoilers (despite looking over Lunar's entry at TVTropes), but are there any general tips or secrets that I should be made aware of? I'm currently in the cave past that caravan, and I just got the dancer girl.

IP Logged

« Reply #44 on: October 27, 2008, 02:59:52 AM » by JayBee That's how I roll.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2008, 04:18:52 AM by JayBee »
Jean is awesome. And she only gets more awesome as time goes on.
"Once I tried to bury the past... but it will not be buried."

Aside from "gravity bomb is maybe elemental?"

Don't ignore Jean's dance magic when leveling spells. You'll need to raise it high enough to unlock the 4th and final dance before the karate tournament. There's a convenient nook right below the tournament if you need to build levels(you can just hold right and you'll bob up and down in a 2-tile area), but it takes time that could be better spent kicking ass and taking names, especially if you're very far behind.

The Dragon's Nest and Lion's Head "secret" dungeons. They're fairly difficult, and you might be tempted to skip them. DON'T.

Lion's Head especially. The Snake Ring at the end of it halves MP consumption. It is awesome, and well worth the struggle.

The above-mentioned dungeons ALSO restock for the epilogue, with new toys at the end! 
And if you equip both of them on one Hiro or Jean...  the carnage is incredible.
Actually, many of the chests in the game restock in the epilogue.

Also, many weapons and armors can be used as items for a free spell. The benefit is dubious in most cases, given they're fairly weak, but one or two are worth it. It will be CRITICAL to success in the epilogue to use Althena's Sword as an item.

And remember... Mystere!

APPRIVOISE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
IP Logged

(Read 43153 times) 1 2 [3] 4
Jump to: