japanese cave story mod - hack 9

You are here: The Pantheon / Seven Heavens / Elysium - Gaming / Topic: Japanese Cave Story mod - Hack 9

Gon is really angry
 right now.

ThreadTools

Print

ForumStats

11043 Posts, 545 Topics, 780 Members, Latest Member: jnmoors01

This forum is Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2005, Simple Machines integrated by Datschge basing on Simplicity by Bloc
 (Read 10230 times) [1]

Japanese Cave Story mod - Hack 9
« on: August 22, 2008, 12:06:07 PM » by EaterBrain Shin Getter's Voice of Reason
« Last Edit: August 22, 2008, 12:09:16 PM by EaterBrain »
A Japanese Cave Story mod - Hack 9
Some of you might be interested. ;)

Found out about it from indiegames blog.
Haven't played it yet, seems it requires some knowledge of the lunar language -- I've seen an item shop in one of the gameplay videos and NPCs, of course.
IP Logged

Re: Japanese Cave Story mod - Hack 9
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2008, 01:19:55 PM » by Keiseth The Mimic
« Last Edit: August 24, 2008, 01:57:42 PM by Keiseth »
Now this is interesting. I haven't gotten out of the first room, but apparently you can equip items (AT, DF, one other slot) and there's currency, as you said.

It appears to start off in a lab of some sort, and that's where I'm stuck. For now, I'm calling this place "Black Mesa". And uh, the heroine is... "Gianna Freeman". It's almost more fun to make up the story when you can't read it.

* Got out of that room, but hardly any further. Looks like a fun game, though.
IP Logged

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2008, 03:10:48 PM » by Chibi Kami
Looks like fun. Can't wait for someone to translate it.

The power of love is the most chaotic and destructive force in the known universe.
IP Logged

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2008, 03:44:38 PM » by Chaostic Dark, Light, Shadow, Time, Chaos, PIKE
that defensibly looks interesting almost as much as the original sin mod did
IP Logged

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2008, 05:19:16 PM » by EaterBrain Shin Getter's Voice of Reason
« Last Edit: August 24, 2008, 05:48:36 PM by EaterBrain »
Now this is interesting. I haven't gotten out of the first room, but apparently you can equip items (AT, DF, one other slot) and there's currency, as you said.

It appears to start off in a lab of some sort, and that's where I'm stuck. For now, I'm calling this place "Black Mesa". And uh, the heroine is... "Gianna Freeman". It's almost more fun to make up the story when you can't read it.

* Got out of that room, but hardly any further. Looks like a fun game, though.

There's a door on the rightmost platform, looks like a dark doorway -- go talk top everyone you can find. After you've fully searched the place return to the first room and select the your destination at the terminal in the upper left (yellow marker), the teleporter is in the middle of the room (same marker). Don't forget to equip the knife (or  just press Q, it changes weapons)!

P.S. The heroine's (who might or might not be a cross-dressing man, oh how the moon runes confuse me) name is SNORT -- it's written in the item menu.
IP Logged

« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2008, 07:55:26 AM » by Speaker59
Jeez, this one's tough and complex.  Some notes:

If you go left in the corridor with the vendor robot, you get to a room with two techs in it.  Talk to the top-right one and he'll teach you how to hack -- find a bug or vulnerability, get root access, make a backdoor, delete the log.  I think this is essential to later progression.

Above the vendor bot is Snort's Room, which has a save spot (USB Stick) and a healing terminal to the right of that.

Enemies drop small or large coins (1 and 5Y, respectively, I think), a bluish item that I think is an MP restorative, or an item.... I think each enemy has only one such drop, not sure if all enemies have an item to drop.

These drops start out unidentified... but usable.  If you take something with an unidentified description to the vendor bot and sell it, that drop type will be ID'd and available for purchase.  There are different types of unidentified item classes -- "Nikusou" (IIRC) for various edibles ["meat-looking-thing"?], "Garakuta" ["junk"] for salable parts, "Katana" for a sword, and something like "Steelball" for a gun.

Green Bats drop a meat that heals 3 HP.
Fish drop a meat, not sure if it heals more/less than bat meat.
Shooting soldiers drop a nice gun -- does 2 damage, which is better than the P99.
Jumping soldiers drop the "Japanese", a katana that does 1 damage but has a very wide swing arc.
Blocks drop "Hard Case", which seems to be vendor junk. 
Cameras drop "Camera Lens". Ditto.

Both guns seem to be the only things that can bust through the darkish blocks, Polar Star style.

The vendor bot sells a few handy things:
The Dagger is a knife that deals 2 damage.  Great weapon, and more effective for quick kills of unwary enemies than even the 2-damage gun, though each has its use.
The P99 is a Polar Star style gun, dealing one damage.  No upgrading, though.
There's an HP and MP restorative for 30 each, not sure how much they heal.
There's an HP and MP Source, which when used will up your Max HP and MP, respectively.  Not sure if it's a random boost; using two got me from 4 to 11 Max HP.

If you get to an area called something like "Mugen no Kairou" ["Endless Corridor"?] and get past a couple of tanks, there's an elevated ledge with a save/heal alcove through a door.  It's the second one of each I've found, that I can reach. 
... 11 Max HP isn't enough when enemies deal 2-5 damage. :-(

Any other thoughts from people?
IP Logged

« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2008, 05:06:31 AM » by EaterBrain Shin Getter's Voice of Reason
The HP\MP Source is indeed a random boost and can be abused via the good old save\load trick.
IP Logged

« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2008, 09:16:44 AM » by Speaker59
Is this actually a Cave Story mod, or just a really similar engine? I tried opening the game up in Sue's Workshop and other CS editors, to no success.
IP Logged

« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2008, 09:58:43 PM » by AmineHsu
This game seems pretty cool, but it's super hard.=>_O= Starting without decent weapons is hard...killing a tank with a knife?=>_<=
IP Logged

(Read 10230 times) [1]
Jump to: