hardest games ever

You are here: The Pantheon / Seven Heavens / Elysium - Gaming / Topic: Hardest games ever

Gon is really angry
 right now.

ThreadTools

Print

ForumStats

10987 Posts, 530 Topics, 743 Members, Latest Member: brbrafns01

This forum is Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2005, Simple Machines integrated by Datschge basing on Simplicity by Bloc
 (Read 29944 times) 1 [2] 3

Re: Hardest games ever
« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2008, 12:08:27 PM » by abandonwareguru
Tempest 2000 was pretty great, I remember it. Not one of my favorites, but still definitely lots of fun.
IP Logged

« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2008, 08:59:38 PM » by Chibi Kami
In other stuff, um... I'd say Zelda: Phantom Hourglass, because Nintendo seems to have forgotten the definition of the words "control scheme," and instead made the game control entirely with the stylus. This is equivalent to playing Zelda with a mouse.
So... it's Diablo?

Almost, but not quite. In Diablo, you merely had to click on an enemy to attack them.
In Z:PH, you have to make a slashing motion across them, which would be fine if it weren't for the fact that the touchscreen recognition sucks (and no, it's not my calibration) and you usually end up running into the enemy as a result.

The power of love is the most chaotic and destructive force in the known universe.
IP Logged

« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2008, 09:21:28 PM » by JayBee That's how I roll.
Keeping in mind that I HATE Diablo...

So... it's Diablo?

APPRIVOISE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
IP Logged

« Reply #18 on: November 09, 2008, 11:53:42 AM » by Chibi Kami
Keeping in mind that I HATE Diablo...

So... it's Diablo?

On that note, I'd consider Phantom Hourglass worse than Diablo.

The power of love is the most chaotic and destructive force in the known universe.
IP Logged

« Reply #19 on: November 13, 2008, 01:08:37 AM » by AmineHsu
This Hacker 9 game link to in another topic on the board is probably rating pretty high up there right now.=>_<=  Especially because you start out so mal-equipped for the task...

Also of worthy note would be Popful Mail and Eternal Daughter (I think that was the name of it... )
IP Logged

« Reply #20 on: November 13, 2008, 04:15:02 AM » by Word on the Wind Fanservice with a vengence!
ED ain't that hard, but the Final boss is unbearabley cheap.

I miss my signature.
IP Logged

« Reply #21 on: November 13, 2008, 09:25:15 AM » by Speaker59
Hack9 gets MUCH easier when you get a few HP Sources down, and start racking up good equipment from the enemy drops.
IP Logged

« Reply #22 on: November 17, 2008, 11:57:53 AM » by AmineHsu
That's what it seemed like.  I'm just having alot of trouble getting to that point, heh.
IP Logged

« Reply #23 on: November 17, 2008, 11:03:52 PM » by Speaker59
All enemies have the same chance of dropping money (except those special few who drop their item 100%), so just slaughtering the fish in the first room is as good a way of racking up cash as anything else. Or find a nice area with lots of blocks and a door in easy reach and farm there.

The journey you make here is pretty darn cool, even adjusting for the "Look, Ma, I'm reading Nihongo! Whee!" factor.  And the music is sweet.
IP Logged

« Reply #24 on: December 17, 2008, 10:11:41 PM » by Keiseth The Mimic
God Hand is absolutely brutal and ruthless, where even the common mooks' style is impetuous, their technique unstoppable. Your health bar is merely a distraction, because if it ever moves downward, you're in serious, serious trouble.

That's how it starts out. By the end of the game, the brutality reaches ridiculous proportions. Yet it never feels cheap. It feels entirely beatable even with the default skills, health and god roulette specials. It just shows you that you're not up to the task yet, which can be really humiliating. If you DO manage to get toward the end, it makes you feel like you're Alexander the Great. Then drops four of the hardest mooks into the tiny room with you and laughs sadistically as you're pummeled into jelly.

Did I mention it has a stage called "Giant Enemy Crab Tank?" Or that you can bet on poisonous chihuahua races? Did I mention it has poisonous chihuahuas?

It's the damned Earthbound of the Beat-Em-Up genre. And probably the only game that I put so much effort into winning that I was actually sweating buckets and getting incredibly painful cramps in my hands and wrists.

Clover made it; they did Okami and Viewtiful Joe. It's a huge care package for fans of difficult games and beat'em'ups.
IP Logged

« Reply #25 on: December 17, 2008, 11:59:50 PM » by JayBee That's how I roll.
Clover made it; they did Okami and Viewtiful Joe. It's a huge care package for fans of difficult games and beat'em'ups.
And then Capcom shut down Clover.
Probably because everyone left.

But... Viewtiful Joe wasn't developed by Clover.
Well, not the original. The PS2 port was, as were the sequels.

Which, ultimately, gets to the silliness of this.
The VJ games WERE all developed by the same people, just under different labels.

As was the Phoenix Wright trilogy. And the Resident Evil series, the first Devil May Cry, Dead Rising, ...
Hell, most of Capcom's notable games for the past decade (and PN03!) came out of people that went to Clover, then left that to get out from under Capcom's thumb totally.

Clover was formed to give their big names more creative freedom than they had working directly for Capcom. And when Capcom started applying pressure to Clover, everyone took off and formed SEEDS. And SEEDS merged with someone else to become PlatinumGames.
Look for more of the fine games you've come to know and love under the PlatinumGames label.

It's sad that Capcom had to create a subsidiary company to let their people make good games. Even sadder that they FAILED at it.

APPRIVOISE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
IP Logged

« Reply #26 on: December 18, 2008, 02:58:22 AM » by Chaostic Dark, Light, Shadow, Time, Chaos, PIKE
I am now a god of gaming Gahahahahaha

I just beat Deadly Towers without dieing

ok I got the feeling something real bad is about to happen...

or i used up all my luck for the month X_X
IP Logged

« Reply #27 on: December 18, 2008, 03:47:53 AM » by JayBee That's how I roll.
It's okay, I can loan you some luck to get you through the next week or 2.

APPRIVOISE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
IP Logged

« Reply #28 on: December 22, 2008, 03:01:25 PM » by AuraBattler
For a while it was Super Robot Wars 3. That darn O kept killing all my units!

Adios...
IP Logged

« Reply #29 on: December 22, 2008, 03:26:18 PM » by Speaker59
Look for more of the fine games you've come to know and love under the PlatinumGames label.
Mad World (and God Hand, really) were never my kind of thing, but... ye gods, I can't *wait* for Infinite Space.  Because I'm expecting Star Control 2 the Sequel, and I won't get it, and so I'll be disappointed... but until then, glee!
IP Logged

(Read 29944 times) 1 [2] 3
Jump to: