hardest games ever

You are here: The Pantheon / Seven Heavens / Elysium - Gaming / Topic: Hardest games ever

Gon is calm
 right now.

ThreadTools

Print

ForumStats

10947 Posts, 520 Topics, 763 Members, Latest Member: lahmndras01

This forum is Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2005, Simple Machines integrated by Datschge basing on Simplicity by Bloc
 (Read 29234 times) 1 2 [3]

Re: Hardest games ever
« Reply #30 on: January 15, 2009, 05:56:15 PM » by TheTenderizer What is a flan?
Well, you guys have me beaten out quite soundly.  I Wanna Be The Guy was a fair pain in the rear, for instance.

I don't know, I'm thinking the original Contra.  Sure, it's beatable, but your sprite is freaking huge, and it doesn't have the super-easy mode 7 levels of the third one.

FIre Emblem Thracia 776 I also found challenging; not only does it not pull any punches, I found the hit and miss chances to be fairly erratic (missing fairly consistently with 95 chance, getting hit twice in a row with 13 chance, etc.), and your unit stats are nothing short of retarded.  Capturing was essential, and it was also a total crapshoot.

However the hardest game in existence is Left 4 Dead on expert without any teammates

Tell no one
IP Logged

« Reply #31 on: January 15, 2009, 06:31:10 PM » by Word on the Wind Fanservice with a vengence!
However the hardest game in existence is Left 4 Dead on expert without any teammates

Only if Tank shows up.

I miss my signature.
IP Logged

« Reply #32 on: January 16, 2009, 12:35:08 PM » by TheTenderizer What is a flan?

Only if Tank shows up.

They always will on the finale.

Tell no one
IP Logged

« Reply #33 on: January 16, 2009, 01:30:55 PM » by Word on the Wind Fanservice with a vengence!

Only if Tank shows up.

They always will on the finale.

Ah, right. But then ammo is not a concern, which would be the big problem otherwise. (Tank comes, ammo gets wasted, provided survival, horde comes, no ammo, phail.)

I miss my signature.
IP Logged

« Reply #34 on: January 16, 2009, 05:05:56 PM » by TheTenderizer What is a flan?
Let's not forget that get hit by a hunter at all (which usually happens after being blinded by a boomer anyways) is instant game over.

I still think this is technically possible (for the sole reason that you can molotov a tank and run) but it's hard enough as it is with four people, and if you're ever put into yellow you're probably dead

Tell no one
IP Logged

« Reply #35 on: January 16, 2009, 06:55:05 PM » by Ianator is Gaius Baltar.
Anyone ever heard of a little gem called X-COM: UFO Defense (aka UFO: Enemy Unknown)? It's a strategy game where you build bases and shoot down UFO's, then land soldiers at the crash sites. You also respond to terror sites, attack enemy bases, research their technology, and eventually build a spaceship and assualt the aliens' home on Mars.

The UFOs come in plenty of shapes and sizes, from one-man saucers to massive Battleships that can blow planes out of the sky before they can shoot back. The aliens are equally varied - there's your ever-present gray Sectoids, thick-skinned Mutons, psionic Ethereals, and the nightmare-inducing Chryssalids (any X-COM forum will probably have tons of horror stories involving them).

You'll shake as your transport nears the crashed UFO. You'll sweat as you explore a terror site at night. You'll jump when that Cyberdisc snipes your favorite Squaddie from someplace you've already cleared. And you'll practically scream "O SHI-" as you see that ever-present black monster running towards your Skyranger, cursing your lack of Time Units, and it's almost as if you can hear it saying, "raep raep raep".

It will have its way with you. Repeatedly. And you'll love every minute of it.

Who is Gaius Baltar? HE'S THE FRAKKIN' PRESIDENT!
IP Logged

« Reply #36 on: January 18, 2009, 07:13:23 PM » by Keiseth The Mimic
I second X-COM. I never got anywhere, even on the easiest difficulty. Terror sites are total nightmares. The weakest alien in the game can frequently one hit kill you.

And then, after two fights, they raided my base and murdered me with fly-by wire rocket-launcher things. Grr.
IP Logged

« Reply #37 on: January 19, 2009, 01:03:01 AM » by JayBee That's how I roll.
How about X-Wing?

The original floppy version. Several of the later stages were totally reworked for the CD-ROM edition to make the difficulty less absurdly high.

APPRIVOISE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
IP Logged

« Reply #38 on: January 20, 2009, 08:36:17 AM » by Shadow The Ace Hunter
I third X-COM. In the beginning, any alien can potentially instakill you with one shot. Sectoids are the weakest ones but only in resistance to damage. Everyone and their mother carry plasma rifles, be it a Sectoid, Muton or Ethereal.

The game's manageable with occasional saving & reloading until the aliens start torturing you with psionics. At that point, no tactics can prevent a soldier from going nuts or, in the worst case scenario, fire his rocket launcher before the team leaves the Skyranger.

Still, one of the best games ever. :D
IP Logged

« Reply #39 on: January 20, 2009, 01:57:48 PM » by Word on the Wind Fanservice with a vengence!
Ye know, I've heard a good number of stories about the greatness of X-Com, but I've only seen a few screenshots of it.  Anyone mind filin' me in on the basics?  Ye know, play method, notable points, etc.

I miss my signature.
IP Logged

« Reply #40 on: January 20, 2009, 02:13:04 PM » by Ianator is Gaius Baltar.
I'm not sure if there's much in the way of screenshots, but the UFOpaedia is probably one of the largest resources for information on the series. Seeing what the game looks like might be better reserved for a Let's Play on YouTube.

Who is Gaius Baltar? HE'S THE FRAKKIN' PRESIDENT!
IP Logged

(Read 29234 times) 1 2 [3]
Jump to: