megaten closed beta. i'm in, anyone care?

You are here: The Pantheon / Seven Heavens / Elysium - Gaming / Topic: MegaTen Closed Beta. I'm in, anyone care?

Gon is really angry
 right now.

ThreadTools

Print

ForumStats

11043 Posts, 545 Topics, 780 Members, Latest Member: jnmoors01

This forum is Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2005, Simple Machines integrated by Datschge basing on Simplicity by Bloc
 (Read 49660 times) [1] 2 3 ... 7

MegaTen Closed Beta. I'm in, anyone care?
« on: December 02, 2008, 08:34:05 AM » by Word on the Wind Fanservice with a vengence!
So yeah, I managed to get into the closed beta of MegaTen Imagine, anyone care to hear my reported findin's so far or does no one really care?

I miss my signature.
IP Logged

Re: MegaTen Closed Beta. I'm in, anyone care?
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2008, 08:51:40 AM » by Speaker59
Info, please!
IP Logged

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2008, 08:56:11 AM » by AmineHsu
Lucky.:(  I applied but haven't heard anything yet.

Also, by all means, please share infos.=>.>=
IP Logged

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2008, 11:49:45 AM » by Word on the Wind Fanservice with a vengence!
Very well, information will come when I am actually concious. If there are any specific quests anyone has, fire away.

I miss my signature.
IP Logged

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2008, 12:24:18 PM » by Speaker59
My 3 cents:

1) I'm really curious about how the gameplay goes -- the sort of rock/paper/scissors/dynamite/plasteel/plasma-cutter dynamic they have going.... What's the flow of combat like?

2) How does the whole "interacting with others" thing play in to it? Do you have to slave away for hours making a group that dissolves in 15 minutes a la FF11? Do you even *need* others to advance, or is it more self-reliant given that you have demon allies (a la FF12)?

3) Plot?

But certainly, rest up :-)
IP Logged

« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2008, 12:29:19 PM » by jolly_old_saint
How do demons join you, exactly? Do you capture, convince them?

At the end of things, just-faiz the means.
http://www.youtube.com/user/jollytheoldsaint
IP Logged

« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2008, 02:33:42 PM » by Cruzifixio
GOT IN THE BETA WOOO!
*downloading*
Hey Arle what will be your user name? Maybe we can slay some demons and I only got like one friend in the beta.
Got a 4shared account so I'll be sharing some screenies. :P
I just hope it lives up to the hype.

"After all I'm the leading man, I might need to do something heroic"
IP Logged

« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2008, 06:49:24 PM » by Word on the Wind Fanservice with a vengence!
My 3 cents:

1) I'm really curious about how the gameplay goes -- the sort of rock/paper/scissors/dynamite/plasteel/plasma-cutter dynamic they have going.... What's the flow of combat like?

2) How does the whole "interacting with others" thing play in to it? Do you have to slave away for hours making a group that dissolves in 15 minutes a la FF11? Do you even *need* others to advance, or is it more self-reliant given that you have demon allies (a la FF12)?

3) Plot?

But certainly, rest up :-)

1. Well, the combat is similar to that of Mabinogi, if ye've played that. It goes kind of like this, attacks have a certain... Polarity, for lack of a better word.

A basic run up and hit somehin' move is just called "Attack". "Attacks" are comboable up to three hits.

A "charged" attack that's (Usually) one strong hit is called a Rush.

A defensive stance is called a Guard. One can walk (Not run) while guardin'.

A Counter Stance is called.. Well.. Guess. One is restricted to stand in one spot while in a Counter Stance, holdin' the stance consumes MP at a gradual rate.

A melee AoE skill is called a Spin. Spins are dependant on weapon length. (AKA Swords good, Knives bad)

Dodge skills are somethin' not to be found in Mabinogi. A dodge skill will at it's basic level, always avoid shots and rapids

Shot types are basically single attacks with a firearm. (Bullets ARE consumed, however the prices seem mostly reasonable)

Rapid Attacks are basically to Shot what Rush is to Attack. It's a burst fire that (Again at the basic level) fires three shots at once.

Spells and the like fall under the shot catergory, for the most part.

So, how it breaks down is this.

Attack beats Idle, Rush and Dodge

Guard beats Attack (Have not tested to see if it works against shot. More spadin' is required. However, in Mabinogi, it DOES work against ranged attacks, same with Spin)

Rush beats Idle, Guard and Dodge.

Counter beats Attack and Rush.

Spin beats Idle, Counter and Rush. It's also good if one is surrounded.

As said, Dodge beats Shots and Rapids.

Shot beats Idle, Attack, Rush, Spin and Counter. However, for the first three one must stand far enough away as the shot has to be "Aimed" first. (Aimin' is reprisented by a little blue bar that slowly extends)

Rapid is the same as Shot, with the bonus of beated Defense (If Mabinogi is to be believed... I THINK. Also on the subject of Mabinogi, if it's the same, Rapid's Aim Bar starts lower and fills up slower)

And Idle beats Counter.  :P

So how it breaks down in an actual fight is that if the target is idle, if one is melee, one would want to start off with an attack combo. They'll get knocked back, recover and then come on ye in a matter of ways. If it's a basic attack, it'd be wise to Guard as one can walk back a bit to gain some distance and delay the time the hit will land. The target will hit yer Guard for laughabley low damage (Usually 1) and it's combo will be broken. At this point, ye'd go over and combo it again. If this happens, it's best advised to utilize a Counter for the next, even if it's just another attack. Reason bein', after a successful Guard/Counter (Maybe Dodge) it has to "Reload" usually only takes a couple seconds, but yer target will be on ye by the time it finishes.

Now then, if the target goes to Rush at ye (Reprisented by a red battle aura) then the best courses of action are dependant on how far ye are. If they're close, just combo them. If they're far, counter them. (Or shot them)

If the oppnent readies a defensive stance, there's three options. Use a Rush and break their guard, wait it out, have a friend help out and one plays decoy and hits the guard while the other wails on the target (This will cause Aggro confusion,  however)

If the opponent readies a counter, one would be best advise to get close and Spin them or hang back and shot/rapid.

A Dodge is best countered with Attack, Rush or Spin. They don't drain MP (That I saw) so waitin' it out can lead to a stalemate if ye're a shooter unless the AI fouls up or there's more then one aggresor on either side (In which case, shoot the other guy for the sake of ****)

The same basically applies for Shots and Rapids, with the exception of them bein' ranged and takin' longer to execute. I don't deal with FireArms, so I don't know too much. However, I'm doin' the Mage thing so I'm certain I'll have to deal with dodge whores sooner or later.

Anyway, weapons and spells (As well as demon abilities) follow the basic attack type rules and MegaTen's own little property system. Slash, Blunt, somethin' called "Charge" which I'm assumin' is pierce for physicals. Spells and some demon skills will instead use Fire (Agi) Ice (Bufu) Electricity (Zio) Force (Zan) or Almighty (Megido). So say some fool is tricked out in Slash resist armor, it'd be wiser to attack with a Blunt or a "Charge". Another example is Jack Frost isn't gonna be bothered by Bufu, but Agi will give 'em some trouble.

Anyway my brain wants to stop typin' about that and I'm basically done anyway.

2. I wouldn't know, my friends are either still downloadin' their clients or have been sleepin'.

3. Haven't gotten too far. It opens up in a little introsequence of ye hangin' around with some high ranked "Demon Buster" (Hence, DB) that I think might be gender dependant (For my female character, the DB was female, however it might be a male for a male) talkin' about how Second Home (Home II) has been invaded by demons and since ye and her are the closest by coincidence (How convenient) that even though ye haven't been trained, the two of ye have to investigate it.  There's also some other business about the shinjukuu Babel which is some tower that was built for arbitrary plot reasons and shortly after it's completion, Demons began to return from the Great Flood (See: SMT). That's about all the plot stuffs that's not spoilerous and I can actually recall.

How do demons join you, exactly? Do you capture, convince them?

Negotiation skills. Ye have three basic skills at the outset: Greeting (Friendly) Taunt (Funky) Threaten (Intimidate). Much like the series has been known to do, sometimes they'll just leave, sometimes they'll give ye stuff, sometimes they'll offer to make a contract with ye (Read: join) while other times they'll stop listenin' or attack ye. More Negotiation Skills are available down their respective branches.

GOT IN THE BETA WOOO!
*downloading*
Hey Arle what will be your user name? Maybe we can slay some demons and I only got like one friend in the beta.
Got a 4shared account so I'll be sharing some screenies. :P
I just hope it lives up to the hype.

*Looks at user name*

Also: Son of a bitch that was a pain to type. My head hurts... I'm gonna wrap this up here. If anyone else has any other questions, lemme know.

I miss my signature.
IP Logged

« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2008, 07:28:50 PM » by jolly_old_saint
You only take one set of questions per person?

edit - sorry, YE only take one set of questions per person?

IP Logged

« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2008, 07:50:11 PM » by Word on the Wind Fanservice with a vengence!
You only take one set of questions per person?

edit - sorry, YE only take one set of questions per person?

Oh, don't even start.

That said; Have question. Will answer.

I miss my signature.
IP Logged

« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2008, 01:54:45 PM » by Chibi Kami
The stated system requirements I've seen have been, shall we say, contradictory, often with the minimum CPU requirements being higher than the recommended.

Can you give me an estimate of how well the game would run on an AMD Sempron 1.6 GHZ processor (my video card is on the high end so don't worry about it)?

The power of love is the most chaotic and destructive force in the known universe.
IP Logged

« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2008, 02:52:54 PM » by jolly_old_saint
Oh, don't even start.

I won't start, but at that I'm scarcely the stopping sort.

I'll ask the obvious question, then. Would ye say the game is enjoyable?

IP Logged

« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2008, 03:20:08 PM » by Cruzifixio
Can you give me an estimate of how well the game would run on an AMD Sempron 1.6 GHZ processor (my video card is on the high end so don't worry about it)?

I have a GeForce 7300 LE (loser edition), and I run the game at full everything with no slowdowns and or lag, Tough maybe your processing power could give you probs, but if you run the game alone you should be fine.

I played for a good 6 hours yesterday and I gotta say...

I dont know if its a good game... If we go tru the idea that its a mmorpg then it falls under the "has been done" but it is well balanced and fun.  On the MEGATEN side... I have only done like 5 quests (3 of them main story) and they had their own good share of mistery and they Directly follow the story from the first 2 Shin Megami's, We are told that after the hero saved the world (good or bad or whatever they are nice enough to leave it open) humans go undeground and make shelters (heh Fallout...) and start makin friends with demons.. Tough one day humans atart makin their biblical towers and demons make a new one too and "Humans vs Demons" starts over again.
And ill stop right there...Its sad that we cant invite friends or anyone to play the game but you can guys try signing up in the beta and see if you get an invitation. Then get yerselves spoiled.

"After all I'm the leading man, I might need to do something heroic"
IP Logged

« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2008, 06:04:37 PM » by Word on the Wind Fanservice with a vengence!
Oh, don't even start.

I won't start, but at that I'm scarcely the stopping sort.

I'll ask the obvious question, then. Would ye say the game is enjoyable?

Well, in it's favor, it's got the whole classic MegaTen thing goin' on. In addition, the music for the most part is souped up mixes straight out of SMT2 and is honestly the best I've heard in an MMO. Combat stuffs are largely rather balanced and let's face it, goin' out to fight stuffs with buddies is always a riot. Another good point is that the Vattican Brand(TM) censor is nowhere to be found (Anyone whom played Mabinogi or Gunbound will know what I'm talkin' about). The last positive point I can think of is that one can issue commands to one's own demon without any real difficulty (Read F1-F8) or if one pleases, take complete control of the demon with Tab so one can move the demon around and target specifically with the demon.

Goin' against it, I'm not the biggest fan of the controls, it will eventually most likely fall into the "Grind-fest" dilemma and what I've seen of the visuals, there's a good amount of brown when outside. (However, the one dungeon I was in had a rather snazzy look to it, not bad for an RGD Instance)

A debateable point is a complete and total lack of PVP. While this means that there's no way for jerkasses to advertize their E-Peen about how badly they kicked the low levels around, it also means that said dumbasshole (when they DO arise) will not be smitable. Also, just friendly competition isn't possible, either. I HAVE however heard rumors of Demon Vs. Demon PvP.

Another point that's gonna be decided by how much one likes the sort of thing is that Demons level and do indeed learn skills. Fused demons do inherit said skills, so this means that if one wants a demon that has one skill or another, one will have to raise a demon up somewhere along in the chain for the demon to have said ability, as opposed to the SMT/2 method of static demon levels with their "Get 'em and mix 'em" ability. On the upshot, this does allow for some rather dandy mixin' comboes.

Personally, I'm largely enjoyin' myself so far. I'm not exactly a stranger to the MMO genre, so I know what to expect for the most part and am able to ignore some of the flaws (BUt the control issues piss me off each time) so anyone else's milage may vary.

I miss my signature.
IP Logged

« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2008, 09:13:18 AM » by Speaker59
I HAVE however heard rumors of Demon Vs. Demon PvP.
[...]
Fused demons do inherit said skills, so this means that if one wants a demon that has one skill or another, one will have to raise a demon up somewhere along in the chain for the demon to have said ability, as opposed to the SMT/2 method of static demon levels with their "Get 'em and mix 'em" ability. On the upshot, this does allow for some rather dandy mixin' comboes.

Seems that grinding up demons may prove more important than grinding up your character... which makes me think of Nocturne a little.  A Nocturne MMO with demonic gladiatorial combat against your friends... sounds nice.

Q) IIRC, this one follows the free-to-play, pay-for-stuff approach; how gamebreaking is the stuff you can buy with realcash, or (on the flipside) how hosed wouldja be if you're a cheapskate?
IP Logged

(Read 49660 times) [1] 2 3 ... 7
Jump to: