megaten closed beta. i'm in, anyone care?

You are here: The Pantheon / Seven Heavens / Elysium - Gaming / Topic: MegaTen Closed Beta. I'm in, anyone care?

Gon is really angry
 right now.

ThreadTools

Print

ForumStats

10987 Posts, 530 Topics, 743 Members, Latest Member: brbrafns01

This forum is Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2005, Simple Machines integrated by Datschge basing on Simplicity by Bloc
 (Read 44602 times) 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7

Re: MegaTen Closed Beta. I'm in, anyone care?
« Reply #45 on: December 11, 2008, 01:07:37 PM » by Speaker59
« Last Edit: December 11, 2008, 01:22:40 PM by Speaker59 »
I played a few hours last night, got some demons in hand and signed up for the first dungeon.  The combat system is really active and lots of fun!  A bit like FF12, except you have defensive moves to use while your attacks recover, so you're not standing there like an idiot while the baddies whomp on you.

Arle, could you please expound a bit as to what the cultural distinctions among the channels are?  I was hopping around a bit due to disconnects (crappy hotel wifi) and it seems some have more people selling, some have more lag, some have more high-level people, and some are practically devoid of other players (leading to areas with like 30 pixies and kodamas floating around).  Which channel's what, in your informed opinion?

[edit]
Also, what resources are people using? The english wikis are sorely lacking in thorough data, but for what it's worth I compiled this list of variously informative sites:

Japanese:
http://imagine.gkwiki.com/ <= big and thorough
http://wikiwiki.jp/imagine/
http://ahirukumi.thick.jp/imagine/
http://artifact.sakura.ne.jp/imagine/ <= awesome fusion calculator over here

English:
http://scratchpad.wikia.com/wiki/Megami_Tensei_Online:_IMAGINE
http://dbdb.digitaldevildb.com/wiki/index.php?title=DBDB:Megami_Tensei_IMAGINE_inter-klan_mainframe
http://mto.diabolicalsys.net/index.php?title=Main_Page
http://www.mymmogames.net/wiki/index.php/Megaten:Content

Any good ones I'm missing?
I'm thinking to start working to flesh out the one on the wikia scratchpad, if only because that's been most recently maintained and least vandalized.
IP Logged

« Reply #46 on: December 11, 2008, 02:49:20 PM » by Chaostic Dark, Light, Shadow, Time, Chaos, PIKE
theres not much here but this is where I first learned about the game before it came out in english

http://www.popanime.net/megami/wiki/index.php?title=Shin_Megami_Tensei:_IMAGINE

oh and I'm going take Arle's advice and  to log on to chan8 now
IP Logged

« Reply #47 on: December 12, 2008, 01:35:45 AM » by Word on the Wind Fanservice with a vengence!
Well, i'm hardly informed on the matter. More like highly biased without factual basis.

However, my general experiences leads that the first channel is always the busiest, usually containin' all the power-players, major guilds, noobs, morons and assholes.

The second channel has the content of the first, but with less traffic.

The interumn channels (three to six) tend to be kind of a duldrum.

The Last (Eight) is where people go to avoid large crowds and is generally filled with more intelligent forms of life.

The second to last (Seven) is to the last as the second is to the first.

Again, I have no factual evidence in regards to MegaTen to back this up, but that's been my general experience with MMOs by and large.

I just said to play Channel 8 because that's where I always go to.

I miss my signature.
IP Logged

« Reply #48 on: December 12, 2008, 06:46:47 AM » by Cainen
So what level are you boys and girls?
IP Logged

« Reply #49 on: December 12, 2008, 09:22:12 AM » by Word on the Wind Fanservice with a vengence!
So what level are you boys and girls?

23 presently.

*Been distracted*

I miss my signature.
IP Logged

« Reply #50 on: December 12, 2008, 09:55:26 AM » by Speaker59
« Last Edit: December 12, 2008, 12:00:26 PM by Speaker59 »
Thanks, Arle, that actually makes a lot of sense.  So, if I'm hunting mobs and don't want competition, stick to Channel 5; if I want to interact with strangers and don't mind people-lag, head up to 7; if I want to try to hang out with youse people go to 8.

I'm nearly lv. 12 now, with a lv 10 Pixie. Just finished clawing my way through the Suginami Demon Tunnels solo for the first time.  Building up as a SPEED/luck gunner, and still trying to get the hang of everything, but part of my lack of success (killed by the boss of that place ~4 times before I downed it...) is definitely due to the awful effect lag has on the combat... especially weak hotel wifi lag.

Now I'm browsing around my fusion options, which is just as wonderfully agonizing a choice as it always should be.  Perhaps even moreso now that -- and please correct me if I'm wrong -- demons no longer evolve and can instead be leveled up to 99, gaining skills along the way which vary even with the type of (for example) Hua Po you're raising! Gah.  The standard choice of "fuse them for what you can use now" vs. "go level up so you can hold higher-level demons" now has the Nocturne-style added complexity of "or, level up your component critters so they get more skills".... And then there's the new "raise the average level of the demons you're fusing so you get the next higher result demon" option, too, which might make leveling for a skill impractical.... SO much to consider!

This is made rather worse by the fact that nobody has an English chart of all the various monster sub-species' skill growth patterns, which sends me back to the main Japanese wiki.

On THAT note, you're a bunch of intelligent-type peopleses; if one would want to start a wiki for this, where would you recommend?  I'm thinking the main requirements would be:
1) hosted somewhere free, very preferably with no ads
2) allow user accounts as well as anonymous editing, preferably with the anon edits getting highlighted to admin-types to more easily spot vandalism without discouraging useful passerby contributions,
3) Japanese support, to be able to contain proper references to all the relevant Japanesey things
4) fast plaintext editing a must, and if there IS WYSIWYG editing it should not spill buckets of nbsps and such into the wiki-text.  It'd be nice to have some kind of quick on-the-spot touch-up edit feature that doesn't require opening the whole page and re-finding the place your error's in, but that's hardly a requirement.  But WetPaint is way too slow and cumbersome.

So, yeah... thoughts?

[edit]
After a bit of research, WikiSpot looks pretty darn good.  You can even double-click to edit in-place!> Japanese support, both logins and anonymous access, it's looking pretty solid so far.  C'mon over and help out!
IP Logged

« Reply #51 on: December 12, 2008, 11:58:23 AM » by Chaostic Dark, Light, Shadow, Time, Chaos, PIKE
I'm lvl 14 right now but I don't think I'll be playing on Chanel 8 anymore tho that ones a little too laggy for me
IP Logged

« Reply #52 on: December 12, 2008, 04:03:21 PM » by Cainen
I believe I'm either 22 or 23.  Friend me if you need help - I played when it was still in Japanese so I've got a pretty good grasp on the game's flow, and as well I've got a lot of spare money as I've got all the equipment I actually want.
IP Logged

« Reply #53 on: December 12, 2008, 05:25:59 PM » by Speaker59
C'mon over and help out!
*facepalm*

I meant to say http://imagine.wikispot.org/

I've got a flight today, and then a week of likely-entirely-offline vacation, so I won't be able to edit things till I get back. I'll try to get started on translating the data on the various demons... I aim for a thorough English compendium to be the first hallmark feature of this wiki. Like, all the detail on the gkwiki, but in English. 
IP Logged

Re: MegaTen Closed Beta. I'm in, anyone ca
« Reply #54 on: December 12, 2008, 08:50:27 PM » by Keiseth The Mimic
As I thought: the dungeons run very well. The towns run terribly. Outside runs rather bad. Very hard to play as commands don't always go through, but I'm patient..

It's quite fun so far. I made a dumb move and turned my good pixie into a bad angel. She hates me, and thus never does anything intelligent. Combined with horrible FPS, it makes it a real struggle to use her effectively. Still...

I love it so far, thanksh a ton for the topic, Arle, and to Gid and others for telling me I can get in right now. :D

Kinda wish Cerberus was translated as Kerberos though.
IP Logged

« Reply #55 on: December 13, 2008, 04:17:31 AM » by Word on the Wind Fanservice with a vengence!
Kinda wish Cerberus was translated as Kerberos though.

This.

I miss my signature.
IP Logged

« Reply #56 on: December 13, 2008, 04:30:56 AM » by JayBee That's how I roll.
GO GO KERO-CHAN CHECK!

APPRIVOISE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
IP Logged

« Reply #57 on: December 13, 2008, 09:36:25 AM » by Chaostic Dark, Light, Shadow, Time, Chaos, PIKE
I'm thinking about making a clan anyone have any name suggestions

so far alex has suggested "Garda An Lár" but I think would apply more to myself the anyone who joins
IP Logged

« Reply #58 on: December 13, 2008, 11:02:46 AM » by Word on the Wind Fanservice with a vengence!

so far alex has suggested "Garda An Lár" but I think would apply more to myself the anyone who joins

Eight character Limit, Spaces need not apply.

I miss my signature.
IP Logged

« Reply #59 on: December 13, 2008, 03:20:35 PM » by JayBee That's how I roll.

Eight character Limit, Spaces need not apply.
YoMomma fits the restrictions!

APPRIVOISE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
IP Logged

(Read 44602 times) 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7
Jump to: