release news ~ merry christmas - srw alpha gaiden

You are here: The Pantheon / Seven Heavens / Svarga - Site News / Topic: Release News ~ Merry Christmas - SRW Alpha Gaiden

Gon is really angry
 right now.

ThreadTools

Print

ForumStats

11018 Posts, 538 Topics, 757 Members, Latest Member: jssnormns01

This forum is Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2005, Simple Machines integrated by Datschge basing on Simplicity by Bloc
 (Read 149879 times) 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 13

Re: Release News ~ Merry Christmas - SRW Alpha Gaiden
« Reply #90 on: December 29, 2008, 03:29:46 PM » by Devon_v
so how does the game compare to super robot taisen OG for those that have played it?

It's more primitive, particularly it lacks the ability to customize pilot skills, and the support system was brand new in this one, so it's not refined yet.You can consider AG to be sort of an alternate version of OG2. One with famous Japanese robots.

Sombold seems to be an actual name, though, sort of like the Sanger/Zengar thing.

But "Sanger" is how it's spelled, and "Zengar" is how it's pronounced. It's only a thing because Japanese uses a purely phonetic alphabet.
IP Logged

« Reply #91 on: December 29, 2008, 04:28:58 PM » by Avatar_of_Chaos Mecha Fanboy to the extream
loving the patch and yes I can tell it's an extream beta just one odd quirk I'm probably rounding that to translator preference but, Ryune Zoldark, an obviously Icelandic girl with a Japanese sounding first name now like I said I'm chalking this one up as translator preference but if your wanting to go cannon why not use Lune?

Light The New Avatar of Chaos
IP Logged

« Reply #92 on: December 29, 2008, 08:59:11 PM » by JayBee That's how I roll.
<Annoying_Macross_Fanboy_Nitpicker>
It's Captain Global, not Captain Gloval.

Gloval was his Robotech name. Where he was russian instead of italian.

Seriously. I'm not making dumb stuff up JUST to annoy everyone. It's a side benefit!

And fear nopt: I'm not gonna touch the zentradi names. The official romanizations for those are totally insane. By design, even!
n(they wanted alien romanizations for alien names).

APPRIVOISE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
IP Logged

Re: Release News ~ Merry Christmas - SRW A
« Reply #93 on: December 29, 2008, 10:17:00 PM » by srwexposed
yeah i have the 31 48 version as well, i wasnt sure where to upload it though. cause the patch isnt working for me either ;_; da$%$ my luck. anyway thanks still one day i shall play! (kicks getter robo in the knee and runs )
IP Logged

« Reply #94 on: December 29, 2008, 10:40:09 PM » by Chaostic Dark, Light, Shadow, Time, Chaos, PIKE
<Annoying_Macross_Fanboy_Nitpicker>
It's Captain Global, not Captain Gloval.

Gloval was his Robotech name. Where he was russian instead of italian.

you know that was something I wondered about but never look into thanks Jaybee
IP Logged

« Reply #95 on: December 29, 2008, 10:45:53 PM » by jolly_old_saint
<stylish and cool robotech fansaint>

I wince every time I don't see Rick, Ben, or Miriya. All the same, don't see me complaining...

At the end of things, just-faiz the means.
http://www.youtube.com/user/jollytheoldsaint
IP Logged

« Reply #96 on: December 29, 2008, 10:50:38 PM » by srwexposed
question, how do i update cd tools to see if i can patch srw; my cdtools keeps crashing.
IP Logged

« Reply #97 on: December 29, 2008, 11:27:32 PM » by anito9999
tnx again for making this patch already made it working had to borrow a friends copy of the game not to bad and finally im able to play it without any problems tnx again to team who made this possible hope they try translate the tear ring saga strategy rpg cuz its also a pretty good game and im having a hard time playing cuz dont understand anything except the playing style which is similar to fire emblem tnx and more power
IP Logged

« Reply #98 on: December 30, 2008, 12:25:22 AM » by srwexposed
okay, patched the game finally but it still doesnt work; chance of anyone being able to ftp or iso their patched game to me?
IP Logged

« Reply #99 on: December 30, 2008, 01:05:32 AM » by JayBee That's how I roll.
<stylish and cool robotech fansaint>

I wince every time I don't see Rick, Ben, or Miriya. All the same, don't see me complaining...
Im helping improve the patch.
Though really, I'm unsure how much more awesome it can be. Kakizaki the walking cannon fodder ALREADY mowed down half an army singlehandedly.

APPRIVOISE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
IP Logged

« Reply #100 on: December 30, 2008, 08:35:13 AM » by Kouban
I'd always thought that the Gloval/Global thing was just a knee-jerk "Since Macek translated it like this, it HAS TO BE wrong!" reaction rather than anything that had a reason.
IP Logged

« Reply #101 on: December 30, 2008, 08:40:46 AM » by srwexposed
finaly it works; i had to basicly NOT follow the previous instructions, so like anyone having problems with late battle reactions? such as like geting hit to 0 no hp and the game is still going but the person doesnt die or anything until a few momments toooo late? think i need to adjust my frame rate or something?
"wishing to see that great blue comet"
IP Logged

« Reply #102 on: December 30, 2008, 11:42:06 AM » by Shale
« Last Edit: December 30, 2008, 10:03:23 PM by Shale »
I'd always thought that the Gloval/Global thing was just a knee-jerk "Since Macek translated it like this, it HAS TO BE wrong!" reaction rather than anything that had a reason.

From what Animeigo said in the past, it's not so much "Carl Macek is teh suxxor" as "we want people to see clearly that this isn't Robotech, so let's make the names distinctly different where we can." Regardless, they explictly weren't going on "this is the RIGHT way to spell the name."

(My pet peeve, incidentally, is "Palace Athene," but that's Bandai's screwup, not AGTP's.)

Oh, also, I think Hope and Faith's names got switched around. I haven't gotten the full-HP restoration spell yet, but the SP restoration has been tagged Faith, which is the name Atlus used for HP restoration, and which doesn't seem like it would logically follow from "Anticipation" (Hope in the OG releases).

Edit: Chapter 16 on the Fort Severn route is "I'll Sell the Gundam!" on the title screen, and "Gundam For Sale!" on the intermission screen.

In the bazaar, a Cartridge (restore EN and ammo) has the description of a Repair Kit (restore HP).
IP Logged

« Reply #103 on: December 30, 2008, 12:29:52 PM » by grimallq
Speaking of mixed up naming.
All the GM variants from 0083 - GM Cannon, GM Custom and GM Quale (hope I got the spelling right) have a weapon called Beam Rifle. Except that it's clearly a machine gun (or Ballistic Rifle like it's called on a Leo).
IP Logged

« Reply #104 on: December 30, 2008, 08:05:29 PM » by Kouban
2 issues with translation so far, both are with older series that I imagine the translator had not seen in full (since few English-speaking mecha fans have). They should be minor corrections. I have not noticed many other problems thus far despite the high number of obscure series used in alpha Gaiden, so good job overall! 
A Raideen character's name has been entirely mistranslated. "Dr. Touzan" should be "Dr. Higashiyama". This appears to be a simple issue with the translator simply picking the wrong reading for kanji that can have several pronunciations. In the Raideen series itself, this character's name is always pronounced aloud as "Higashiyama".
One of Jiron's attack quotes has been translated as "Xabungle is a boy!!" This is an extremely inappropriate translation given the content of the Xabungle plot. Explaining why is somewhat complicated so I will elaborate.
The phrase that appears to be translated as "boy" is "otoko no ko", and in ordinary contexts this would be correct. However, it is a very old writing convention of mecha shows that a "main character" robot like Xabungle is not referred to with standard object pronouns, but with the "ko" kanji that usually means "child". However, when a robot is called "ko", it is very inappropriate to translate this kanji in any way that literally
So, Jiron is not literally stating his robot is a male child. More importantly, it would be extremely out of character for Jiron to call his robot a "boy" because of his role in Xabungle's story. In Xabungle, other characters constantly make fun of Jiron for being childish or acting like a little boy, mostly because he is still upset about the death of his parents long after the three-day time limit for that has passed. Jiron is very sensitive to this mockery and often tries too hard to prove his masculinity and maturity by performing extreme acts of violence that show off Xabungle's power. The scene where he first yells his ridiculous phrase in the show is one such moment.
What Jiron is actually saying with this attack quote, and in the original scene this line references, is that Xabungle is a "man robot", emphasizing Xabungle's cool adultness and maturity. That literal translation would sound fairly stupid in English, of course, but changing "boy" to "man", "man's robot", or "manly robot" communicates the original spirit of the line much better.
IP Logged

(Read 149879 times) 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 13
Jump to: