release news ~ merry christmas - srw alpha gaiden

You are here: The Pantheon / Seven Heavens / Svarga - Site News / Topic: Release News ~ Merry Christmas - SRW Alpha Gaiden

Gon is really angry
 right now.

ThreadTools

Print

ForumStats

10987 Posts, 530 Topics, 743 Members, Latest Member: brbrafns01

This forum is Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2005, Simple Machines integrated by Datschge basing on Simplicity by Bloc
 (Read 144060 times) 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 13

Re: Release News ~ Merry Christmas - SRW Alpha Gaiden
« Reply #105 on: December 30, 2008, 10:56:34 PM » by JayBee That's how I roll.
I'd always thought that the Gloval/Global thing was just a knee-jerk "Since Macek translated it like this, it HAS TO BE wrong!" reaction rather than anything that had a reason.

From what Animeigo said in the past, it's not so much "Carl Macek is teh suxxor" as "we want people to see clearly that this isn't Robotech, so let's make the names distinctly different where we can." Regardless, they explictly weren't going on "this is the RIGHT way to spell the name."
You'd have a point, except I'm not going off Animeigo's work.
I'm going off the official Big West/Studio Nue romanization.

Though as an interesting note: The AnimEigo liner notes are by Egan Loo, who runs the Big-West-licensed Macross Compendium. They're as close to official Macross as you can get without kicking Studio Nue's door down and demanding Kawamori answer your questions personally.

Anyways...
Unlike SOME serieses (Cy/Psybust/baster), Macross has a consistent set of official romanized names for most characters and things.
(For unknown reasons, Milia seems to have missed the boat, and her name shifts around almost as much as Masaki's mech does, though it's USUALLY spelled with an L (or two) rather than R. The rest of the zentradi shift around because no one can remember Vrlitwhai is how you spell Britai(I had to look it up).). 

Now, the Minmay/Minmei thing, that's more a case of kneejerk anti-Robotech than anything else(though the two shows do have different official romanizations).

But Global/Gloval strikes me as a more fundamental issue. They're actually different pronunciations from an english point of view, and different intended nationalities.
Not that Global really strikes me as a very italian name, but... at least it doesn't sound fake-russian. :P

Focker is a bit more anal, but it's in keeping with Kawamori's fondness for working aviation nods in. There's a LOT of "not quite right" aviation names in Macross.
Focker is a nod to the german airplane manufacturer Fokker, much like VF-1 manufacturer Stonewell/Bellcom is a nod to then-real-world Rockwell and Bell.

Now that we're all thoroughly confused...
I'm shutting up now.

(My pet peeve, incidentally, is "Palace Athene," but that's Bandai's screwup, not AGTP's.)

That one drives me crazy too, and I'm not even a Gundam fan.

Also: I stuck Noin in the Wing Zero Custom. Because I'm an idiot, that's why.

I'm mildly disappointed that the Zero system doesn't drive her crazy and make her go boss mech on my ass when I deploy her.

APPRIVOISE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
IP Logged

« Reply #106 on: December 31, 2008, 12:10:18 AM » by LordMuse
at mission 4L myself, noticed a nitpicky spelling thing.   

in the conversation between Hilde and Relena about the mechs they're scrapping, they mention Geara Dogas, Gedlaves, and one Aerogater mech, the Zechariah, but they spell it 'Zekaria'

I know, yes, we're talking a word translated from hebrew into english into japanese and back into english, but the accepted spelling is in fact 'Zechariah' or "Zachariah' as it's the root hebrew name that becomes "Zachary'.   

As I remember it, the Atlus translation of OG1 and 2 got it right.

Now, Gid, please don't be upset at my nitpicking.   only nitpick because I love the work, and let me say, I love the work.

On an unrelated note, when in the alphaverse did everybody's favorite Sniper Loli show up?   Of course I'm referring to Latooni Subota
IP Logged

Re: Release News ~ Merry Christmas - SRW A
« Reply #107 on: December 31, 2008, 12:12:43 AM » by Ianator is Gaius Baltar.
On an unrelated note, when in the alphaverse did everybody's favorite Sniper Loli show up?   Of course I'm referring to Latooni Subota
She doesn't. Latooni is completely original to the OG-verse.

Anyways, haven't started playing yet, but might get around to it soon.

Who is Gaius Baltar? HE'S THE FRAKKIN' PRESIDENT!
IP Logged

« Reply #108 on: December 31, 2008, 06:46:12 AM » by grimallq
I've noticed something about the messed up battle quotes, like Wufei's "No one can stop me" or Ryune's "Take that. Divine Arm" (+ a bunch of other i've found so far).

It's allways the first 2 letters that are missing or replaced by random garbage.
IP Logged

« Reply #109 on: December 31, 2008, 09:44:56 AM » by Twentysix
I've noticed that the pilots names disappear after switching pages in the unit upgrade (and probably weapon upgrade screen), im using pSX. what would this be from?
IP Logged

« Reply #110 on: December 31, 2008, 10:05:21 AM » by Shale
That's one of the known issues listed in the readme. Sometimes it's pilot names, sometimes it's the entire line (Mech name, pilot name, pilot level), sometimes it's weapon info in the combat menus.
IP Logged

« Reply #111 on: December 31, 2008, 07:27:52 PM » by Onmi
I keep attempting the download and it never gets past 2.6 MB befote failing. Something up?
IP Logged

« Reply #112 on: January 01, 2009, 01:24:52 PM » by Big Z
I wanted to say thank you from the bottom of my heart to the Aeon Genesis crew for putting out another incredible release. Your work is always top-shelf and you folks ask nothing in return. So again, my biggest thanks to you all for every single minute of hard work put forth over these last six years.
IP Logged

« Reply #113 on: January 01, 2009, 05:08:29 PM » by gamerk2
Well, most of the translation miscues have been listed on this page already, but still, and excellent release.

Now finish Alpha so I can start harrasing you to start A2 and A3 already :D
IP Logged

« Reply #114 on: January 02, 2009, 05:52:18 PM » by Badaro
A non-nitpicking post!

Bryger's introduction is AWESOME. If you went to the Lean Horse route, make sure you start a new game later and go to the Argama route to see this scene.

"Are they going to fight mobile suits in a CAR?!"
IP Logged

« Reply #115 on: January 02, 2009, 06:36:51 PM » by Supremezero
So i have one of the 48 copies, noticing that the normal patcher didn't work.  So i tried the method on page two posted by gouki, but i'm having a problem.  PATCHFILES/SYSTEM_031 won't open.  It won't even let me choose something to open it WITH.  I tried patching without it, but that didn't work.
IP Logged

« Reply #116 on: January 02, 2009, 06:42:33 PM » by suchiuomizu
To eit that part I had to go into folder options, scroll down to CNF, hit advance, new and create an "edit" (name shouldn't matter) option that used notepad.
IP Logged

« Reply #117 on: January 03, 2009, 01:45:02 AM » by JayBee That's how I roll.
A non-nitpicking post!

Bryger's introduction is AWESOME. If you went to the Lean Horse route, make sure you start a new game later and go to the Argama route to see this scene.

"Are they going to fight mobile suits in a CAR?!"

"It's as ridiculous as the Getter Robo!"

APPRIVOISE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
IP Logged

Re: Release News ~ Merry Christmas - SRW A
« Reply #118 on: January 03, 2009, 02:38:03 PM » by NineInch
Is there any way to play this on a PS2?
I don't know about any of that hacking stuff so you can play games on Xboxes or anything, if that's even involved here.
IP Logged

« Reply #119 on: January 03, 2009, 03:14:19 PM » by Sume Gai AGGF Master
there are ways but I'm not sure if we're allowed to discus them here.

If you are a man you'll do what's important before you grieve  -Captain Harlock
IP Logged

(Read 144060 times) 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 13
Jump to: