aquaria - oh my, looks fucking awesome

You are here: The Pantheon / Seven Heavens / Elysium - Gaming / Topic: Aquaria - oh my, looks fucking awesome

Gon is calm
 right now.

ThreadTools

Print

ForumStats

10949 Posts, 520 Topics, 749 Members, Latest Member: nabycoremy

This forum is Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2005, Simple Machines integrated by Datschge basing on Simplicity by Bloc
 (Read 9280 times) [1]

Aquaria - oh my, looks fucking awesome
« on: September 15, 2007, 03:53:59 AM » by Stefan
Obviously everyone here is a fan of Cave Story, which was undoubtedly inspired by Metroid and Castlevania. So I thought I should mention the next great game in this line of genres: Aquaria.

It's coming out soon, you can check up on it at www.bit-blot.com
IP Logged

Re: Aquaria - oh my, looks fucking awesome
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2007, 07:51:50 PM » by Zaratus
I've been keeping an eye on that game as well.  They won the grand prize ($20,000!) at IGF (Independent Games Festival) for it too, bet that made them very happy, not to mention, it's great press. 

I'm also a big fan of Derek Yu's previous game, though in collaboration with a different person under Blackeye Software, Eternal Daughter, available for free from his site, www.derekyu.com.  Never did beat the last boss in that one...  If anyone here hasn't played it, give it a shot.  It's another one inspired by Metroid and Castlevania.  The difficulty can be brutal at times.   

I'm not sure what games Alec (the other guy making Aquaria) has worked on... 

Still, Aquaria is going to be great.  It should be a decent length too, due to this tidbit on the site:  "If you’re curious how long this rough version of the game is to play through, I think Guert’s spent about 20 hours, and he’s at the end of the next-to-final area. He’s also missed a couple secrets."
IP Logged

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2007, 03:35:06 PM » by Djungelurban
Aquaria is made by the same guys that made Eternal Daughter?!?! This is great news, I LOVE Eternal Daughter! I mean, the game kicks my ass every time but it really a lot of fun. Can't wait.
IP Logged

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2007, 08:25:53 PM » by Sentientbaka
Wow, I neve new about this guy, I'm really impressed, heres to sprite gameing, and here to aquaria!

Energizer Bunny arrested, charged with battery.
IP Logged

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2007, 08:47:40 PM » by Word on the Wind Fanservice with a vengence!
Dang, need to hurry up and finish ED.

Lookin' mighty forward to this.

I miss my signature.
IP Logged

« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2007, 06:54:09 PM » by Stefan
I've heard of Eternal Daughter, but never got it. I'm downloading it right now though, after realizing its from Derek. Thanks for the info.

And there's a seven minute video of Aquaria now at bit-blot.com
IP Logged

« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2007, 08:27:09 PM » by Osairis
They're thinking about adding this to XBLA, Wiiware or the PS shop according to the forum. I'd support the creators and buy it especially since this game looks to have been worked hard on. It also has the feel of Zone of the Enders to me for some reason. I love the animations as well. Looks like this game will be a sure winner for Indie developers.
IP Logged

« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2007, 09:59:37 AM » by Corsair Space pirate?
the music sounds *really* damn good, and it looks like it'd ahve similar game mechanics as Ecco the dolphin (which is a somewhat closet favorite of mine. say what you will but the roger dean-esque visual style is damn cool.

Fans of exploratory metroid/vania type games should also check out la mulana. i've been chugging away at it (am currently stuck) but i absolutely love the game.  Yeah  I know i'm like two years behind on taht one...

I played eternal daughter for quite a while back in the day, i realy ought to give it another go, possibly make maps so i don't get so lost.

METAL.
IP Logged

« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2007, 04:30:58 PM » by lampshade
um to be honest i don't see what makes Aquaria greats
IP Logged

« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2007, 07:09:38 PM » by Stefan
It's a unique vision on metroidvania, with crisp and vivid graphics, and very intuitive controls - only using the mouse and the the two buttons.
IP Logged

« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2007, 02:51:58 PM » by Stefan
The game is finally coming out. It will be available in 7 days online as demo or a 30$ full version. If you can't wait, check out the site and IRC chat to talk about mods and suggestions, or try out Knytt Stories.
IP Logged

« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2007, 10:13:41 AM » by Fynn
I've finished the demo, but don't think I'll be buying it. I didn't even know it was going to cost $30 until the 1-week-left announcement.

For the first hour or so, you're just randomly swimming around looking for accessible areas, but you have no way to defend yourself from enemies. You only get a weapon right before entering the first 'dungeon'.

And a lot of the game felt like it was just swimming back and forth, wishing you could make Naija go faster. At least in Metroid or Castlevania, you have different enemies to fight every step of the way. Most of the enemies here can easily be avoided, and feels like they were added as an afterthought.

It is fun to dance around enemies and bosses while letting off attacks. But the paper-doll character and her movements didn't really click with me.

Hopefully other people will have more fun with it.
IP Logged

« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2007, 11:24:16 AM » by Gideon Zhi Devil Summoner
I'm not going to be picking it up because it doesn't run at anywhere near full speed on my computer. Even on the lowest settings.

:(

IP Logged

(Read 9280 times) [1]
Jump to: