color hacking in gun hazard?

You are here: The Pantheon / Seven Heavens / Aaru - Romhacking & Translation / Topic: Color hacking in Gun Hazard?

Gon is really angry
 right now.

ThreadTools

Print

ForumStats

11013 Posts, 536 Topics, 756 Members, Latest Member: NicholasN6

This forum is Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2005, Simple Machines integrated by Datschge basing on Simplicity by Bloc
 (Read 1741 times) [1]

Color hacking in Gun Hazard?
« on: January 25, 2009, 08:34:58 PM » by Sir_Altair
This is something that, while totally useless, sounds like it might be fun. Basically, whenever I play GH, I can't help but think "dammit, the other Front Mission games gave you an assload of colors to work with, as opposed to... One". I've always wanted to be able to modify that. The easiest way to do that, I'd imagine, would be to overwrite Albert's palette with another existing palette in-game. Does anyone know if this can be done, within reason?

Thanks in advance.
IP Logged

Re: Color hacking in Gun Hazard?
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2009, 06:16:03 PM » by Chibi Kami
"If" being the question, yes, it should be relatively easy. Exactly "how" is, unfortunately, beyond me, but I think I can walk you through the idea itself, if not the tools and processes.

A: you could identify when, in the rom code, Albert's pallette is called, and change the value to the pallette call # of another unit.
B: You can find out where the color values for his pallette are stored and modify them to your heart's content.

Mind you, a patch to do either of these would have to be made for each color set you want. If you want a menu to chage your color ingame, it's a possibility, but rather difficult.

Step 1 would be to find the values of every unit's pallette call in the game.
Step 2 would be to code a new menu into the game, possibly accessible from the ship's menu, designed to let you pick a color scheme from a list, and maybe even see a preview of it.
Step 3 would be to hack the SRAM read/write code to make sure it remembers what pallette call has been assigned.

Again, I'm unable to actually describe how to go about doing all this; The most experience I've had with romhacking is meddling with some map, script, and/or sprite editors.

The power of love is the most chaotic and destructive force in the known universe.
IP Logged

(Read 1741 times) [1]
Jump to: