problem with smt

You are here: The Pantheon / Seven Heavens / Asgard - Technical Help / Topic: Problem with SMT

Gon is really angry
 right now.

ThreadTools

Print

ForumStats

10987 Posts, 530 Topics, 743 Members, Latest Member: brbrafns01

This forum is Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2005, Simple Machines integrated by Datschge basing on Simplicity by Bloc
 (Read 12822 times) [1] 2

Problem with SMT
« on: April 10, 2009, 03:49:16 PM » by caders
I've been playing Shin Megami Tensei for awhile now and I've encountered a problem I can't seem to get around.  I'm at the part where I've just returned to earth and everything is destroyed.  According to my walkthrough I'm supposed to speak with Ozawa and he should summon a demon for me to fight. However, when I speak to him he says he's busy and I should come back later.  Is this some sort of glitch or did I somehow miss something?

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.
IP Logged

Re: Problem with SMT
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2009, 09:41:47 PM » by Chibi Kami
Ah, a newbie. I don't mean that in any demeaning way, just welcome to the fold.

SMT1 didn't receive a thorough debugging process, so you'll be running into glitches even worse than this one seems to be. Hope you won't be going Law this playthrough; You won't be able to rescue the octopus.

Uh, let's see... Have you visited the basement below the disco and triggered the convo where you learn about his pact with the demons?

By the way, you may be interested to learn that there are official names for the characters.
Main hero: Kazuya
Law hero: Yuji
Chaos Hero: Takeshi
Love interest: Yuka

The power of love is the most chaotic and destructive force in the known universe.
IP Logged

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2009, 09:48:03 PM » by caders
Thanks for the welcoming.

I don't think I have gone below the disco actually, I'll try it immediately. Thanks so much for the info! :]

Yeah, I've been reading around about the glitches to see if anyone else had had this problem. I guess there's a lot. Surprising I didn't run into others before now actually.

I'm taking the neutral path, so luckily I won't have to deal with the octopus thing.

Thanks again!
IP Logged

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2009, 08:44:50 AM » by shinCD
I have an issue just starting it during the tutorial dungeon:
insted of naming your character, somthing having to do with the attack knife show up and skips the naming
IP Logged

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2009, 04:57:14 PM » by shinCD
i may have found an soulution: all i have to say so far is watch the bad dump youtube video : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aq2kJ5KRk2E
and read the description. all I know is that the file that it speaks of is clean (not patched) so go on and fix it
IP Logged

« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2009, 08:11:46 PM » by Gideon Zhi Devil Summoner
Your problem is that the patch is made to be used on a ROM with a copier header. Start over from scratch with a clean ROM, add the copier header, then apply the patch.

And next time, READ THE README.

IP Logged

« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2010, 10:51:59 AM » by Tenacious2
Excuse me but I have the same problem with the opening scene as the about use but I do not understand how to give a file the copier header and SNES Tool is not compatible with my version of Windows. This is my first time patching a ROM. Could you please help me? I have read the instructions several times and performed the process but this error still occurs. By changing the header do you mean changing the file name or something else?
IP Logged

« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2010, 02:40:52 PM » by JayBee That's how I roll.
Well, I'll be damned... SNESTool IS finally breaking.

Try NSRT.

And the copier header is actually inside the file. It's entirely unrelated to the file name.

APPRIVOISE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
IP Logged

« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2010, 03:18:26 PM » by Tenacious2
You still have not told me how to put in a copier header.
IP Logged

« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2010, 01:07:02 AM » by JayBee That's how I roll.
You want me to type out step-by-step instructions for the use of NSRT? When it comes with a manual written in plain english?

APPRIVOISE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
IP Logged

« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2010, 10:09:14 AM » by Tenacious2
NSRT will not work on the patch itself so I need to change the header the hard way. How do I do that?
IP Logged

« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2010, 04:07:28 AM » by JayBee That's how I roll.
You should be using NSRT on the ROM image, not the patch.
The ROM IMAGE needs the header added to it.
NOT THE PATCH. THE ROM IMAGE.

*sigh*

After downloading and extracting the NSRT zip file, run NF.exe.
This will get you a pretty GUI window.
Find the ROM image(NOT the patch) in the left pane. Yes, the one that ends with .smc. No, not the one that ends in .ips
Right-click it. With the right mouse button. Just once.
This will bring up a menu. This menu will have several options in it.
Point at "add headers to selected" With your mouse cursor.
Now press the left mouse button to select it. Again, just once. That will activate the highlighted menu option.
If you've done everything right, your ROM image will now have a header, and when you patch it, it will just work... well, as close to work as SMT ever comes, I gather it's a fairly glitchy game straight from the factory.!

Alternatively, open one of the lovely text files that comes with the application. NSRT.txt will tell you to open NF.txt, which will tell you what I just typed out. Really, is it that hard to read a manual?

APPRIVOISE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
IP Logged

« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2010, 05:43:34 PM » by Tenacious2
I did not know what option to use to add the header but I thank you for your instructions otherwise. That aside it was not the only reason I was having problems. I was applying the patch to a version of Shin Megami Tense referred to as version 1.1. When I found and downloaded version 1.0 and applied a header and the patch it worked perfectly. Would any of you know why this was causing me problems?
IP Logged

« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2010, 07:45:11 PM » by TCM Chrono, by another name.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2010, 07:53:07 PM by TCM »
"THIS PATCH IS FOR USE WITH THE FOLLOWING (INCORRECTLY)
LABELED ROM _ONLY_: "DIGITAL DEVIL STORY V1.0 (J)"
DO NOT TRY TO USE IT WITH V1.1, IT WILL _NOT_ WORK."

Copied from the "Please Note" section at the very top of the readme.

I note you are 11 years old, in your profile. Are you sure that you're capable of playing SMT? It's not going to give you pretty little instructions, like the obvious ones from the readme files for NSRT or the patch itself.

Signatures? We're in the lap of luxury now!
IP Logged

« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2010, 08:48:37 PM » by Gideon Zhi Devil Summoner
And this, ladies and gentlemen, is why I never answer patch help requests. It's an exercise in frustration, and everyone almost always goes away miserable.

IP Logged

(Read 12822 times) [1] 2
Jump to: