the "f(*& this" topic

You are here: The Pantheon / Seven Heavens / Gan Eden - General Discussion / Topic: The "F(*& This" topic

Gon is calm
 right now.

ThreadTools

Print

ForumStats

10947 Posts, 520 Topics, 748 Members, Latest Member: Wario-Man

This forum is Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2005, Simple Machines integrated by Datschge basing on Simplicity by Bloc
 (Read 9930 times) [1] 2

The "F(*& This" topic
« on: July 22, 2009, 09:14:40 PM » by Dsvaun
Hey, what do you know? Another topic! This one is more directed towards games but any other situation works.

Was there a time when you were trying do something and you all of a sudden went "screw this"?
Only one I can think of was FFX for the lightning dodging mini-game for the celestial weapon. You all know what I'm talking about. I finally get around 50 and ZAP. I refused to play the game at that point .....for the rest of the night. I eventually got it though.

How about you guys?
IP Logged

Re: The "F(*& This" topic
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2009, 10:30:29 PM » by Andrew The Dragon Knight
Breath of Fire V: Dragoon Quarter. After getting to 1000 feet under the surface I just got tired of how annoying the game was. I gave up and traded in the game shortly afterward.

My current inventory is: One transforming katana, one flight suit, one Caster, various Caster shells, one gallant (including stock and barrel) and an optimistic attitude.
IP Logged

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2009, 10:51:32 PM » by Word on the Wind Fanservice with a vengence!
Breath of Fire V: Dragoon Quarter. After getting to 1000 feet under the surface I just got tired of how annoying the game was. I gave up and traded in the game shortly afterward.

Fail.

I miss my signature.
IP Logged

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2009, 02:01:07 AM » by JayBee That's how I roll.
I am a fairly reserved gamer.
I am not prone to violent outbursts.
I very rarely yell at the screen.
I do not throw controllers in rage. Ever. There is exactly ONE exception to this rule.

Ladies and gentlemen, meet Blaster Master.

For those unfamiliar with the game, Blaster Master is a non-linear action-adventure along the lines of Metroid with a tank. It's fairly large. It also has limited continues and no save mechanism.
No SRAM, no password, NOTHING. It has to be beaten in one session, though you're free to leave the NES paused overnight.

The tank is two blocks wide, but only one block tall. It can also drive up walls after killing one of the bosses.
This will be important.

I was in area 7 of 8. In a chamber full of destructible blocks, which I was blasting to farm powerups.
I managed to drive my tank up the wall through a 1-block gap, and flip it onto the platform. So I now needed a TWO-block hole to get back down.  And I had no way to destroy blocks under me.

I was quite and truly pooched.

I had two options.
I could eject from the tank, throw one of my limited lives down the hole, splatter my frail little driver-man on the ground below, and hope I was in a better situation after respawning. 

Or I could keep trying to free myself.

As it had not been my best session ever, I was unsure exactly how many lives I had left. But felt conservation was the best course of action, and suicide should be a last resort.

After hammering various directions and leaps for a few minutes in an attempt to get myself stuck on the wall so I could drive down, I did the worst thing possible when trying to free myself from a trap made of destructible blocks.

I paused.

Again, for those not familiar, let me explain why this is a bad move.
When a destructible block leaves the screen, it's forgotten.
If you scroll it offscreen, it comes back(this helped to set the trap in the first place).
If you pause... it forgets every block on the screen.

I was now entombed in an endless sea of concrete. And Blaster Master's solution to that is to lock you in place, not force you through a wall. I DID gun my way loose, but... there were now NO empty blocks under me. The kamikaze option, which might've actually worked, was sealed off. I had no way to escape and no way to die. I could do nothing but drive back and forth in a single row of exploded concrete blocks.

This represented a very significant loss of gaming time, in the most bullshit manner possible.

My Advantage rose over my head, then took flight before landing on my bed and bouncing upwards hard enough to engage the slow-mo switch.

Yes, I hurled an Advantage.
And failed to break anything.

APPRIVOISE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
IP Logged

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2009, 04:51:05 AM » by alaras
This is why I only pause with the emulator's feature and use savestates...
IP Logged

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2009, 10:52:17 AM » by Fertfreak
Fester's Quest for the NES. It starts out decent enough, but it has no save\password feature. The real problem crops up if you have the bad luck to die after beating the first boss. You are allowed to continue, but aside from the bosses staying dead, you have to restart from the beginning of the game.
IP Logged

« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2009, 02:12:53 PM » by Andrew The Dragon Knight

Fail.

I should mention that 1000 feet below the surface is very close to the end of the game, you start near 10000 feet below.

My current inventory is: One transforming katana, one flight suit, one Caster, various Caster shells, one gallant (including stock and barrel) and an optimistic attitude.
IP Logged

« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2009, 06:22:18 PM » by Word on the Wind Fanservice with a vengence!

Fail.

I should mention that 1000 feet below the surface is very close to the end of the game, you start near 10000 feet below.

I know. I'm rather fond of the game.

I miss my signature.
IP Logged

« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2009, 06:53:35 PM » by JayBee That's how I roll.
Because you are a weak girly man that can't handle a real game?

Besides, how do you change weapons if you don't pause?

APPRIVOISE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
IP Logged

« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2009, 08:21:15 PM » by Liana Lens Comrade
I never beat Metal Saga.

How embarrassing is that? I loved the game, I played it almost to the end. Not to mention I adored and translated Metal Max returns, and am currently adoring and translating Metal Max 2...

I couldn't beat Red Mobster, the big lobster thing living inside an apartment house. I bought a bunch of the shells needed to beat him when he was inside his house, but when he was almost gone, I'm sure that I almost had him, I was out of the shells and nothing else I had could hit him. I don't know how long I stretched it out just doing no damage to him and hoping he'd come out.

So after that failure, I thought I'd backtrack and find the Kamikaze wanted monster... and somehow after days of running around after that one my attention must have just ended up elsewhere.

We've still got Metal Saga, I'd never get rid of it, and now I've finished playing MM2 I'm actually real interested in going back and seeing what's lifted from MM2, because I know there's a lot of references. But really for all my love of the games I don't make a good hunter. If I was in that universe I'd be some hunter's big sister. "Welcome home! Take a nap! You couldn't find the Kamikaze King? Oh, too bad. Have some fried amoeba."

‥‥おしても いいんだぜ! なつかしい ドラムかんをよ!
IP Logged

« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2009, 08:32:02 AM » by alaras
Because you are a weak girly man that can't handle a real game?

Besides, how do you change weapons if you don't pause?
No, because I prefer RPGs over shooters and never played Blaster Master.  Besides, I don't always have the time to finish a game in one session and don't like to keep my computer running overnight if I'm not using it (even though I usually am...(
IP Logged

« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2009, 12:30:53 PM » by Word on the Wind Fanservice with a vengence!
I never beat Metal Saga.

How embarrassing is that? I loved the game, I played it almost to the end. Not to mention I adored and translated Metal Max returns, and am currently adoring and translating Metal Max 2...

I couldn't beat Red Mobster, the big lobster thing living inside an apartment house. I bought a bunch of the shells needed to beat him when he was inside his house, but when he was almost gone, I'm sure that I almost had him, I was out of the shells and nothing else I had could hit him. I don't know how long I stretched it out just doing no damage to him and hoping he'd come out.

So after that failure, I thought I'd backtrack and find the Kamikaze wanted monster... and somehow after days of running around after that one my attention must have just ended up elsewhere.

We've still got Metal Saga, I'd never get rid of it, and now I've finished playing MM2 I'm actually real interested in going back and seeing what's lifted from MM2, because I know there's a lot of references. But really for all my love of the games I don't make a good hunter. If I was in that universe I'd be some hunter's big sister. "Welcome home! Take a nap! You couldn't find the Kamikaze King? Oh, too bad. Have some fried amoeba."

Ye could be my support while I roll out and smash.

I miss my signature.
IP Logged

« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2009, 03:01:11 PM » by Liana Lens Comrade
You send me dressers and carpets and track monster guts all over my nice clean floors, I always keep the door open and tote your carcass back to the good doctor when some critter gets the better of you... Yeah, I think we could make that work. :)

‥‥おしても いいんだぜ! なつかしい ドラムかんをよ!
IP Logged

« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2009, 08:01:06 PM » by Derek The Blue Wings of Kyonoshi
And I can be the snarky sidekick who gets decent lines when the situation calls for it, joyrides in a pimped-out Buggy, and occasionally has a scene where I'm sitting there in the bar, getting drunk and talking about how I don't have a love life!

dragonmasterjb0: Apparently, in the new series, Lina is arrested at one point on charges of being Lina Inverse.

The rest of the party, in typical Slayers fashion, gives a reaction to the effect of "Sounds reasonable."
IP Logged

« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2009, 12:33:39 PM » by alaras
First, don't steal my role.  Second, don't you already have those drunken sob story scenes in real life?
IP Logged

(Read 9930 times) [1] 2
Jump to: