progress news ~ at long last, an update

You are here: The Pantheon / Seven Heavens / Svarga - Site News / Topic: Progress News ~ At long last, an update

Gon is really angry
 right now.

ThreadTools

Print

ForumStats

10987 Posts, 530 Topics, 743 Members, Latest Member: brbrafns01

This forum is Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2005, Simple Machines integrated by Datschge basing on Simplicity by Bloc
 (Read 22728 times) [1] 2 3

Progress News ~ At long last, an update
« on: July 27, 2009, 09:09:42 PM » by Gideon Zhi Devil Summoner
Before I launch into the update proper, let me first express regret at the silence on the front page lately. Marathonning Alpha Gaiden like I did was taxing and tiring, and my state of exhaustion is/was not helped by a rigorous work schedule; I do 38 hours over three days, and by the time I come home after that I barely have the energy to do ANYTHING. I´m lucky if I get that energy back by 9PM the night before I have to go back to work. That said, in the last several weeks (not to mention the last several months) I´ve made quite a lot of progress on several of my projects.

To begin with, I´ve reinserted the majority of Holy Umbrella´s text, and it´s gone through an initial alpha test phase. There are still several issues and a couple of untranslated text boxes, but nothing that a few days hopefully won´t fix. See the first of the accompanying screenshots for an example of inserted text.

Similarly, some fairly major strides have been made in Majin Tensei recently. The last of the technical issues surrounding font replacement have finally been resolved, and some theoretical assembly workarounds for text expansion that I´d been thinking about have proven to operate flawlessly in practice. The result is that, at least for now, I can insert roughly 3/4s of the "main" script with no issue, and that the rest shouldn´t be far behind. Meanwhile the demon dialogue has been fully dumped and translated, and is ready for insertion as well, but I want to get the rest of the text into the game before I futz with that any further. Again, see the other accompanying screenshot for a sample of inserted text actually working correctly in-game.

I´m not sure if it´s been mentioned on the front page or not, but Romancing SaGa 2´s script has finally been translated, thanks to Eien ni Hen, translatress extraordinaire. I´ve outsourced script formatting to local forum and IRC junkie Arle, who has already completed a good chunk of the work. Screenshots will be posted as soon as they´re available, but I have no idea how long that´ll be.

The last game I´m going to mention in detail is LUNAR Walking School. As I´m sure I´ve probably mentioned before, the entire game has been hacked and translated, and has been "sort of" ready to go for a while; however, I´d wanted to give its script another going-over before releasing it. Well, I´ve gone through the first of the main plot arcs and done all the edits I´ve wanted. This, if I recall correctly, comprises chapters 1-7, or about half the game. It takes about three to four hours to edit a chapter, so call it fifteen to twenty hours of hard work on my part before this is ready to go. That said, I can only work on one thing at a time, and there are a lot of other things vying for my hours, so don´t expect LUNAR immediately.

All that said, I´d like to remind everyone, myself included, of the loooooooong list of games with translated scripts that are also vying for my time. These are all in varying states of completion, so remember, just because the script is translated doesn´t mean that the game is anywhere near ready for release. So, without further ado, the list, excluding the four games mentioned above: Adventures of Hourai High, Ancient Magic, Fire Emblem: Mystery of the Emblem, Ganbare Goemon 2, Ladystalker, Lagrange Point, Laplace´s Demon, Madara 2, Makaitoushi SaGa, Megami Tensei, Mystic Ark, Rejoice, Slime Morimori Dragon Quest, Solid Runner, Super Puzzle Puyo 2, Super Robot Wars 4, Super Robot Wars EX, Super Robot Wars Gaiden, Tactics Ogre, and Ys 5. I have not forgotten about ANY of these. It´s a question of time and motivation, both of which have been at an unfortunate premium these days.

Hopefully I´ll have a release coming in the next few weeks, but I´m not going to make any promises. Again, sorry for the silence. I´ve just been extremely tired of late.
Screenshot Screenshot

IP Logged

Re: Progress News ~ At long last, an update
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2009, 09:56:02 PM » by Sephiroth Tenshi
« Last Edit: July 27, 2009, 09:59:00 PM by Sephiroth Tenshi »
Did you give up on SRW Alpha?
I am sorry if this question is offensive in any wy whatsoever, but I was really looking forward to it...
I'm only asking because you didn't mention it and the last post concerning it is from july 2008...

Now Playing: Super Robot Wars OGs/OG Endless Frontier e Final Fantasy X/VII: Dirge of Cerberus
IP Logged

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2009, 10:04:34 PM » by Gideon Zhi Devil Summoner
Of course not. It just has seven megabytes of text. My 75,000 word novel, when converted to raw text format, is only 600KB of text. Alpha's script is gigantic, and even though most of it's translated (the battle text is not, which is why it was not mentioned) editing it is a nightmare.

IP Logged

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2009, 11:11:18 PM » by Sephiroth Tenshi
Oh, I see, it's a shame it will take long, but I'd like to thank you very much for your effort, really looking forward to it (I'm a crazy hardcore srw fan)
Thanks for the quick reply

Now Playing: Super Robot Wars OGs/OG Endless Frontier e Final Fantasy X/VII: Dirge of Cerberus
IP Logged

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2009, 11:13:45 PM » by Derek The Blue Wings of Kyonoshi
Seeing noted progress on Holy Umbrella continues to make me giggle maniacally for some reason. I still don't know why I want to play it so much, but dammit, I'm just gonna go with the flow on this one.

dragonmasterjb0: Apparently, in the new series, Lina is arrested at one point on charges of being Lina Inverse.

The rest of the party, in typical Slayers fashion, gives a reaction to the effect of "Sounds reasonable."
IP Logged

« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2009, 03:17:04 AM » by yuka
Roma SaGa 2!! Yay!
IP Logged

Re: Progress News ~ At long last, an updat
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2009, 03:28:39 AM » by azidahaka
Roma SaGa 2!! Yay!

Arleeeeeeeeee :) please how are things going? i've been dreaming of playing romasaga 2 this summer i hope things are smooth enough!
IP Logged

« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2009, 04:09:30 AM » by Word on the Wind Fanservice with a vengence!
Roma SaGa 2!! Yay!

Arleeeeeeeeee :) please how are things going? i've been dreaming of playing romasaga 2 this summer i hope things are smooth enough!

Uh, my part's done.  >_>

Only way I'll have any further involvement in this is accuracy tweaks and the parts that follow that naturally, otherwise, the rest of the work is Gid's.

I miss my signature.
IP Logged

« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2009, 04:59:26 AM » by azidahaka
Roma SaGa 2!! Yay!

Uh, my part's done.  >_>

Only way I'll have any further involvement in this is accuracy tweaks and the parts that follow that naturally, otherwise, the rest of the work is Gid's.
/me jumps of happiness :)
IP Logged

« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2009, 11:28:35 AM » by defect9
Awesome to hear from you again, Gid!  Glad to know you never gave up, never surrendered.

I admit, I was personally hoping for "OMFG Mystic Ark", but after seeing the workload you've taken on, the 'honorable mention' is more than good enough for me. 

See what you want to see, but the Truth is not bent by your will
IP Logged

« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2009, 12:38:38 PM » by Guncannoneer
The broken silence makes me feel good.  I was scared Alpha Gaiden was a distraction while you fled to Mexico.

Thanks for the update, it makes my mouth water.  I can wait forever for your next release if I have to, because that's just how love is.  Now go forward and do what you must.  We'll be here for you when you need us.  Sorry, I have no idea what I'm talking about anymore.
IP Logged

« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2009, 01:26:22 PM » by GreenEnergy
Hey Gid,
Nice to hear you're "back" and doing well ^_^. Thanks for the extensive "status report" on yourselve an the projects! Needless to say that you can't work on them all - since you're just human after all! :) 
We all really appreciate what you're doing and it's always something "special" when projects get finished (for me e.g. sometimes much more exciting than the release of This-Gen games), so make sure you don't overwork yourselve and get enough relaxation! :)

By the way, it would be cool to now the "other people" too, who help translating, hacking or contribute otherwise, because  they rock as well! :D

IP Logged

« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2009, 02:14:25 PM » by Sakura77 Lost Newtype Child
Thanks for the update gid. Hope to hear more in the coming months. Nice to hear that 4,EX, and gaiden has translated scripts, so I am going to go out on a limb and guess that a SRT will be released by the end of the year.

Things can always get worse...
IP Logged

« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2009, 07:49:10 PM » by Gideon Zhi Devil Summoner
Nice to hear that 4,EX, and gaiden has translated scripts, so I am going to go out on a limb and guess that a SRT will be released by the end of the year.

"Translated" doesn't mean "edited." They were all translated by the same bloke who did Alpha (Tyria from this board, actually) and look something like this:

IP Logged

« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2009, 09:31:29 PM » by jolly_old_saint
But if you released as-is, you could say that sorting the english is a game within the game!

At the end of things, just-faiz the means.
http://www.youtube.com/user/jollytheoldsaint
IP Logged

(Read 22728 times) [1] 2 3
Jump to: