i'm a bit confused here.

You are here: The Pantheon / Seven Heavens / Aaru - Romhacking & Translation / Topic: I'm a bit confused here.

Gon is really angry
 right now.

ThreadTools

Print

ForumStats

10991 Posts, 531 Topics, 745 Members, Latest Member: Shakku

This forum is Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2005, Simple Machines integrated by Datschge basing on Simplicity by Bloc
 (Read 8181 times) [1]

I'm a bit confused here.
« on: September 08, 2009, 04:08:41 PM » by KingMike
Dynamic Designs (the merger of Magic-Destiny and Bongo') made a big update on Mystic Ark.
Since Gideon's project was inherited from MD, are you working with them or what's going on?
IP Logged

Re: I'm a bit confused here.
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2009, 07:06:33 PM » by Word on the Wind Fanservice with a vengence!
I'm confused by yer lack of an avatar.

I miss my signature.
IP Logged

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2009, 08:04:08 PM » by Gideon Zhi Devil Summoner
Our project has nothing to do with theirs anymore. The work is entirely original.

IP Logged

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2009, 08:12:33 PM » by Chaostic Dark, Light, Shadow, Time, Chaos, PIKE
ah ok honestly I had been wondering about that myself but for some reason it didn't seem to be worth asking

I guess because we'd find out by the time of the release or something like that
IP Logged

« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2009, 04:15:10 AM » by Gideon Zhi Devil Summoner
Incidentally, if anyone's wondering why this particular project is taking so long, have a gander at this:

http://www.nopaste.org/p/a8A8T29ghb

The script is a good megabyte of shit like that. Menus after menus after menus, all with hardcoded options after each one which have to be manually remapped. Probably took a good 60 man-hours to get into even that state, and you'll pardon me for not wanting to look at the damn thing when it was done.

IP Logged

« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2009, 07:25:44 AM » by Derek The Blue Wings of Kyonoshi
.......Yeesh.

There's not much else to say.

dragonmasterjb0: Apparently, in the new series, Lina is arrested at one point on charges of being Lina Inverse.

The rest of the party, in typical Slayers fashion, gives a reaction to the effect of "Sounds reasonable."
IP Logged

« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2009, 04:50:35 PM » by ultpaladin
Maybe it would be a good idea to unite forces with Dynamic Designs to save both sides some work.

Churchill: If Hitler invaded Hell I would make at least a favorable reference to the devil in the House of Commons
IP Logged

« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2009, 07:28:40 PM » by Gideon Zhi Devil Summoner
« Last Edit: September 09, 2009, 07:41:11 PM by Gideon Zhi »
Best I can tell, Wildbill doesn't like me very much. It might be because of this project; I offered to help them with it years ago, and never got a straight answer out of anyone who mattered. A simple, polite "no" would have sufficed! Instead one of their betatesters began some sort of hate campaign against me, claiming I was trying to "steal" their project when all I wanted to do was help out. To be fair, he was *not* a nice person and I know I'm not the only one who thinks so, but I can't help but think that maybe his views might have influenced the remainder of the team. I've always tried to remain neutral when community politics or conflicts arise, and it saddens me to think that we're no longer really on good terms.

Both I and Ian Kelley have poured a lot of sweat and blood into getting this Mystic Ark project to where it is today, and I'm not about to give any of it up. I'm not opposed to working with Bill's crew on future endeavours (in fact I've seriously considered it on a number of occasions, especially over the last few days) but I owe it to myself and to Ian to make the best of this particular project.

All that said, however, I would not discourage them from completing their own patch, for exactly the same reasons. They owe it to their translator, akujin, to make sure his work doesn't go to waste. (He's a great guy, incidentally, and helped out on quite a few of my own translations. Gun Hazard and SRW3, most notably.)

IP Logged

« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2009, 09:40:38 PM » by Gideon Zhi Devil Summoner
Incidentally, here are some *extremely* WIP snaps of where MA is today.

I'm hesitating in showing off actual dialog snaps because I'm planning an auto-format routine which will do a lot of the grunt work for me, and the resulting output will change.

IP Logged

« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2009, 03:49:34 AM » by ultpaladin
Well it never hurts to open the lines of communication, what's the worst that can happen?   Just both groups continue working on separate projects so nothing changes. 

However, if opening the lines of communication between the 2 groups results in something positive, it could reduce the workload by who knows how much even if 2 separate patches come out for each translation.  It's always hardest to take that first step to open up communication but it's often worth it.

Churchill: If Hitler invaded Hell I would make at least a favorable reference to the devil in the House of Commons
IP Logged

« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2009, 04:17:44 AM » by Gideon Zhi Devil Summoner
Unfortunately, neither project is at a stage where sharing "information" as you put it would be mutually beneficial. We both know pretty much where all the relevant data is, and the big thing separating the two is the whole lot of grunt work it takes to get the script in an insertable state. I've put in that grunt work on mine, and after sixty or so hours of hard labor, manual remapping of data inside the file, I'm neither about to offer anyone else my insertable script nor am I about to offer to get anyone else's script into an insertable state.

Please don't get me wrong. As I've said, bear Bill's group no ill will, but I've put too much effort into my own patch. Barring my actual completed script, there's nothing I could share with them that they don't already have, or can't get in short order. We both already have nice-looking fonts, we both already have dual-line menu hacks. That's really the extent of the assembly work that's gone into this on my end. The rest of it is just dozens of hours of boring manual work that won't help them in the least.

IP Logged

« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2009, 05:38:35 AM » by ultpaladin
Thanks for the thoughtful reply.  I just wrote that last post because you had said something about you seriously considering in the past few days of possibly working with the group on future endeavors.  I assumed you were referring to Mystic Ark which you are right, both group's fonts look very nice.  But even if working together on Mystic Ark is somewhat incompatible, it seems you have a different thought in your mind on future endeavors that might be worth a try.  Anyways, thanks for replying and good luck in your efforts.

IP Logged

« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2009, 08:07:35 PM » by Gideon Zhi Devil Summoner
Okay, well, apparently the guy who was slandering me was not part of Bill's crew at all. So, apologies there! That bit was a misunderstanding on my part.

IP Logged

Im a bit confused here
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2009, 03:14:35 AM » by crestiksa
Thanks for an explanation. I did not know it.
IP Logged

(Read 8181 times) [1]
Jump to: