progress news ~ moving forward (mystic ark, etc)

You are here: The Pantheon / Seven Heavens / Svarga - Site News / Topic: Progress News ~ Moving Forward (Mystic Ark, etc)

Gon is really angry
 right now.

ThreadTools

Print

ForumStats

11027 Posts, 542 Topics, 770 Members, Latest Member: Drdarylmorgan34

This forum is Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2005, Simple Machines integrated by Datschge basing on Simplicity by Bloc
 (Read 19729 times) [1] 2

Progress News ~ Moving Forward (Mystic Ark, etc)
« on: September 11, 2009, 10:04:48 AM » by Gideon Zhi Devil Summoner
So, since Dynamic Designs posted an update on their Mystic Ark project, I figured I should post an update on mine. As of about 5AM on Thursday, the script has been completely inserted. It´s not entirely stable; I was able to play for about ten minutes last night before encountering a bug on the Bloodhook which wouldn´t let me leave an item shop, but that´s since been fixed. Due to the way the script is stored there are probably a lot of these minor little instabilities, all of which are easily fixed provided they´re found in the first place. A fully proportional font has been implemented, as you can see in the screenshots below; in the event that the text needs to be centered, a command for that has been programmed as well. Further, a linebreak command has been added not only to menus but also to equipment displays, and it works better than I could have hoped. I´m writing this from work so I don´t have a lot of time, but over the next few days (Monday, probably) I´ll be updating the project page with completely new snapshots.

I´m also resolving to work on several games in order, as they´re all fairly close to being done and pretty much require either further editing or minor hacking tasks. After Mystic Ark these are, in order, Holy Umbrella, LUNAR: Walking School, Megami Tensei, and Laplace´s Demon. I may squeeze Hourai High in there somewhere, get the script ready for satsu to do the extra editing he wanted. But that´s what my schedule looks like, at least for now.
Screenshot Screenshot

IP Logged

Re: Progress News ~ Moving Forward (Mystic Ark, etc)
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2009, 10:17:12 AM » by Derek The Blue Wings of Kyonoshi
Looks damn awesome, Gid. I'm not even as up on this Mystic Ark stuff as most of the other people here, and I can tell there was some serious work put into it.

dragonmasterjb0: Apparently, in the new series, Lina is arrested at one point on charges of being Lina Inverse.

The rest of the party, in typical Slayers fashion, gives a reaction to the effect of "Sounds reasonable."
IP Logged

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2009, 11:04:34 AM » by Gideon Zhi Devil Summoner
Looks damn awesome, Gid. I'm not even as up on this Mystic Ark stuff as most of the other people here, and I can tell there was some serious work put into it.

If only you could see what it looked like under the hood :p It's *nasty* in there.

IP Logged

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2009, 12:37:01 PM » by Dynamo
Good job. Wasn't really expecting news soon. Especially since I know you get bothered about this project a bit.  :)
IP Logged

Re: Progress News ~ Moving Forward (Mystic
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2009, 01:50:28 PM » by alaras
Looking forward to seeing the fruits of your labor, Gid.  If it's still pissing you off, just remember that someday, you'll look back on all of this and laugh, hopefully with a sense of pride.
IP Logged

« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2009, 02:18:31 PM » by Drake333
I am one that has been watching Mystic Ark for a long time. (mainly because 7th Saga was one of my favorite childhood RPG's) I am now torn. I used to feel this title was cursed and would never be finished, as so many groups have tried and then either dropped it or disbanded. However, I also know that Gideon Zhi is awesome and is somehow able to keep making progress regardless of what happens.

For now I am hopeful though, as it looks like it is very close now. Thank you so much to everyone who has worked on the project.
IP Logged

« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2009, 03:18:04 PM » by trugate
Heck.  Yah. 

I've been watching silently ever since it was announced, and have been one of the few 'good' Mystic Ark goons that doesn't bug Gid about it.  To pass the time while checking this site every day (not kidding), I've found Cave Story here, making it easily in my top ten all time favorites.

Mr Zhi, I'm really looking forward to seeing your work on this, and I appreciate you sticking to your guns this whole time.  You and all involved are awwwe-mazing.
IP Logged

« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2009, 08:15:48 PM » by Gideon Zhi Devil Summoner
For now I am hopeful though, as it looks like it is very close now. Thank you so much to everyone who has worked on the project.

I KNOW I'm going to regret saying this, but you can probably expect Mystic Ark within a month or two. Possibly sooner, depending on how batshit I go over it in the next week or two. I played about 25 minutes of it today (without encountering a crash, whee!) and found a few pointer issues (easy to solve), as well as a few menus in which the dualline command was nonfunctional (also easy to solve.) I've added linebreaks to about 30% of the script, but this is a mindless task that goes quickly when I'm on form. (That 30% took me about three hours, half of which time I was suffering from major dizzy spells.)

Since so much of the game is channeling the oldschool point-and-click/text adventure genre, I'll want to go over some of the writing as well. Nothing like the total overhauls I've been giving Holy Umbrella or LUNAR, as Ian's writing is generally pretty solid, but just some structural stuff. Example:

Pre-edit:
Watching the hands of the clock, your eyes glaze over and things start getting fuzzy....

Post-edit:
As you watch the hands of the clock, your eyes glaze over and things start getting fuzzy....

Simple stuff like that.

IP Logged

« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2009, 09:10:18 PM » by Drake333
I played about 25 minutes of it today (without encountering a crash, whee!) and found a few pointer issues (easy to solve), as well as a few menus in which the dualline command was nonfunctional (also easy to solve.) I've added linebreaks to about 30% of the script, but this is a mindless task that goes quickly when I'm on form. (That 30% took me about three hours, half of which time I was suffering from major dizzy spells.)

Well, if everything remaining is easy then I hope real-life takes it easy on you. Then you will have some time to work on it without being overwhelmed.

As much as I want it to be finished, I wouldn't want anyone to have sacrificed their life for it. (Not that you would, otherwise you would have sacrificed 67 lives now according to the completed project list.)

Also, I'm sure I'll appreciate the script polishing. Make it shine!!
IP Logged

« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2009, 10:25:24 PM » by juef
Hey Gid! I really don't have anything to say except a big, huge, gigantic thank you. Your work is extremely appreciated - on this game and on all others as well. I really wish I could help, but I don't think I'm skilled enough in this kind of work.

Thanks again for the update and screenshots too! Now if you'll excuse me, I'm gonna mop my drool off the floor.
IP Logged

« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2009, 12:26:11 AM » by ultpaladin
This is a total shocker, Dynamic Designs just released Mystic Ark translation patch 1.0, that was the secret project 1 they talked about.

Churchill: If Hitler invaded Hell I would make at least a favorable reference to the devil in the House of Commons
IP Logged

« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2009, 03:20:11 AM » by Drake333
« Last Edit: September 12, 2009, 03:26:36 AM by Drake333 »
This is a total shocker, Dynamic Designs just released Mystic Ark translation patch 1.0, that was the secret project 1 they talked about.

Wow, indeed they did just release it. Craziness.

As I cannot wait, I'll have to play it. This probably means I'll be playing it twice though, as I will want to experience Gideon's translation as I feel I can more easily trust the quality of his translation, having played most of his translations. That is fine though, as I played through 7th Saga many more times than two!

Anyways, going to play it now!! (Despite the fact that I should be going to bed!)

Edit: I just wanted to add this before I started playing as I just got done reading the readme. Wildbill credits Gideon Zhi in the readme:

"Regardless of past situations, I commend Gideon Zhi for sharing some of his Mystic Ark technical knowledge with the members of Dynamic Designs."

"Technical information – Gideon Zhi"
IP Logged

« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2009, 07:44:25 AM » by Derek The Blue Wings of Kyonoshi

......I just got this sudden feeling like there was some kind of romhacking arms race with this Mystic Ark translation. Anyone else get that impression, or is it just me?

dragonmasterjb0: Apparently, in the new series, Lina is arrested at one point on charges of being Lina Inverse.

The rest of the party, in typical Slayers fashion, gives a reaction to the effect of "Sounds reasonable."
IP Logged

Re: Progress News ~ Moving Forward (Mystic
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2009, 09:37:04 AM » by MatthewCallis superfamicom.org
I've must say I really like the font in those screenshots, I'm very excited to play your release.

superfamicom.org
IP Logged

« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2009, 09:48:34 AM » by Demonolith
Although Dynamic Designs may have released it first, I personally am holding off until the Aeon Genesis translation.  I'm not knocking the other version, I'm sure it's nice and all. But to me, an Aeon Genesis translation is the pinnacle of all translations.  I appreciate all the hard work and editing Gideon does to his patches before they are released, and that work really shows when playing the game.

I'm not trying to kiss anyone's ass here or anything, I'm just saying that I'm holding out for the Aeon Genesis version.
IP Logged

(Read 19729 times) [1] 2
Jump to: