miscellaneous news ~ we're changing some.

You are here: The Pantheon / Seven Heavens / Svarga - Site News / Topic: Miscellaneous News ~ We're changing some.

Gon is calm
 right now.

ThreadTools

Print

ForumStats

10947 Posts, 520 Topics, 746 Members, Latest Member: patriccrds01

This forum is Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2005, Simple Machines integrated by Datschge basing on Simplicity by Bloc
 (Read 15105 times) [1] 2

Miscellaneous News ~ We're changing some.
« on: December 11, 2009, 09:49:47 PM » by Gideon Zhi Devil Summoner
Over the next few days (hopefully no more than that) you´ll begin to notice some changes as we tinker with the website a bit. It´s nothing drastic, no major overhaul like when the current layout launched; rather, it´s a culling of the stuff that doesn´t work so well, and an addition of new things. The blog link will be replaced by a twitter link, the About Me will get a much-needed overhaul, the links page will get an update...

... but most visibly (and probably most controversial) is that a PayPal donate button will be going up on the site. This will direct you to a page detailing how our donation system works (with the actual button on the bottom of said page.) But since it´s not up yet and people are immediately going to start crying foul, I figured I should explain right now.

Aeon Genesis is a loose collective of programmers, writers, and Japanese speakers. I spearhead the operation but by no means could I do this without lots and lots of help. As such I have been extremely hesitant to place a donate button on the site in the past. How could any funds added to the account ever be fairly distributed amongst all of the contributors? A few months ago, I hit upon the answer: a rainy day fund.

I´m still hashing out the details, but essentially we will have a private forum (possibly public-viewable) within the Pantheon wherein contributors can request funds. There needs to be a valid reason for a withdrawal from the fund. In my case, for instance, my student loan payments have dropped off in the past several months due in no small part to emergency veterinary bills, but this is a drastic example. The money could help finance a PS2 for Tyria so he could play the PS2 SRW games he´s always wanted. It could go towards a pizza for a translator who´s just finished a script, or who´s motivation is flagging. It could help pay bus fare to help a contributor visit a sick family member. Stuff like that. Wide ranging, but not frivolous.

It´s important to note that any donations made to the fund are strictly done as thanks for translations already released. We will not accept money for anything we have not produced, and do not want the pressure of someone claiming that they paid us for work that hasn´t shown up yet. Furthermore, we will never withhold any releases due to lack of contributions to the fund. It would be nice to have an emergency pillow to fall back on, but everyone understands that times are tough, and I will not hold my work for ransom in this manner.

All that said, frankly, my finances are not very sound right now. I would not be doing this if I felt I didn´t need to. I´d actually considered investigating Project Wonderful and placing an ad or two on the site, but figured that this would be, by far, the preferable next step. So when the button does go up, please, do what you can. We´ll all appreciate it.

So, with all that out of the way, I´d just like to say that LUNAR *is* coming, hopefully within a few days if not a few weeks, and I hope to have something *else* for everyone on Christmas day. Better get my act in gear, eh?

IP Logged

Re: Miscellaneous News ~ We're changing some.
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2009, 10:58:52 PM » by Derek The Blue Wings of Kyonoshi
Foul! Foul!

....Sorry, someone had to do it. We know how long you've been against the whole donations thing, Gid.

dragonmasterjb0: Apparently, in the new series, Lina is arrested at one point on charges of being Lina Inverse.

The rest of the party, in typical Slayers fashion, gives a reaction to the effect of "Sounds reasonable."
IP Logged

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2009, 12:00:41 AM » by Speaker59
I expect quite a few will disagree, but In my very humble opinion this is long-since overdue.

I'd say you deserve a financial buffer to the tune of at least $10 for each game I've played that was released here.

Would it be possible to post to the front page again when the donation link comes up? I seldom have a chance to drop by the site itself these days, but I spot updates to the RSS feed easily.
IP Logged

Re: Miscellaneous News ~ We're changing so
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2009, 03:32:50 AM » by Chibi Kami
I've long felt that your prolificness deserved some sort of optional stipend--after all, without AGTP, I never would've been able to fully enjoy the very long list of games you've made playable in English (is it really at 69 releases? wow), SMT and SRW, especially. A rainy day fund is actually a pretty good idea.
A pity I'm not in better financial straights right now (try starting college at 26 and discover that over 50% of financial aid options want you to be 25 or under) or I'd totally drop 3 figures on you ^_^

Now what are we getting for Christmas...? SRWaG will be a hard act to follow... I'm guessing multi-release *crosses fingers for Hourai High*

The power of love is the most chaotic and destructive force in the known universe.
IP Logged

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2009, 08:34:46 AM » by Gideon Zhi Devil Summoner
Would it be possible to post to the front page again when the donation link comes up? I seldom have a chance to drop by the site itself these days, but I spot updates to the RSS feed easily.

I don't really know when it's going to be, but it'll *probably* be before LUNAR comes out, and that's on the immediate horizon. There's not much else to say about it, so I'll probably just forego saying "button's up" or something. Just check again when LUNAR's done.

IP Logged

« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2009, 01:07:00 PM » by LoneWolf
I wonder what Gideon has in store for us for christmas...
Maybe a final bug free version of the Alpha Gaiden patch he released last christmas.
Mabye it could be something SRW releated, or something else all together.
IP Logged

« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2009, 03:38:21 PM » by Demonolith
Maybe a final bug free version of the Alpha Gaiden patch he released last christmas.

Or maybe its Langrage Point mmmmmmm! Anyways, I'll be looking forward to anything that comes out. But yeah, you guys have been turning out these translations for years, You definitely deserve some type of compensation
IP Logged

« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2009, 10:31:19 PM » by Drake333
I agree with the majority that feel it is about time we have a more effective way to show our appreciation for what AGTP does for everyone. The only reservation I have about it I am sure you have already considered. I would be concerned about people lying to get more money. However, if everyone involved feels they can truly trust one another, (and I suspect you all do if you are going through with it) then this is probably the best way. I hope it works out.

Also, I would like to take a moment to thank all who are, or ever have been, involved in AGTP projects for everything you all have done. I have only thanked Gideon Zhi in the past and have been forgetting that this is not a one man group. If I wasn't so lazy I would compile a list of all to thank based on the patch credits of all the readme files, but I hope this general thanks will be good enough. ;)
IP Logged

« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2009, 09:31:33 AM » by GreenEnergy
I also think it's a good idea! I think everyone could spare some "additional monetary appreciation thanks" for playing a quality translated game they enjoyed a lot. 
IP Logged

« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2009, 01:23:49 AM » by azidahaka

For xmas it's certainly going to be RS2! :) it's romancing saga anniversary this year!

in any case i asked many times were i could donate so i'll show some appreciation soon. In any case too bad that you can't donate to a project to make it hapen sooner... :(
IP Logged

« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2009, 10:35:00 AM » by Gideon Zhi Devil Summoner
In any case too bad that you can't donate to a project to make it hapen sooner... :(

That would create a huge freaking mess, and would certainly get a lot of people mad at a lot of other people. Everyone wants their favorite thing done first, but creating a bidding war would be just totally against the spirit of the community.

And you're all wrong about the Christmas release. It's actually pretty obvious too :/

IP Logged

« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2009, 02:03:25 PM » by Sakura77 Lost Newtype Child
Unfortunately I have no money to donate though I would if I could. It's probably lunar but, you never know what Gid has up his sleeve.

Things can always get worse...
IP Logged

« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2009, 02:26:39 PM » by Derek The Blue Wings of Kyonoshi
« Last Edit: December 14, 2009, 02:28:30 PM by Derek »
Of the four games Gid has mentioned in the last several months, we've gotten Holy Umbrella and he's working on Lunar. And since RS2 was guessed and subsequently shot down, that just leaves Majin Tensei as my guess, unless the universe shifted to the left just a little bit and he's secretly finished Rejoice! on us.

dragonmasterjb0: Apparently, in the new series, Lina is arrested at one point on charges of being Lina Inverse.

The rest of the party, in typical Slayers fashion, gives a reaction to the effect of "Sounds reasonable."
IP Logged

« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2009, 05:18:58 PM » by JayBee That's how I roll.
Don't let all the distractions fool you.
He's doing Samurai Shodown RPG. For the NeoGeoCD.

APPRIVOISE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
IP Logged

« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2009, 10:16:01 PM » by Drake333
Well, based on what has been said previously, it would make sense for the extra possible release as either Hourai High or Megami Tensei. You never know, but if it is obvious, it is probably one of those.
IP Logged

(Read 15105 times) [1] 2
Jump to: