soul nomad & the world eaters

You are here: The Pantheon / Seven Heavens / Elysium - Gaming / Topic: Soul Nomad & the World Eaters

Gon is really angry
 right now.

ThreadTools

Print

ForumStats

11013 Posts, 536 Topics, 756 Members, Latest Member: NicholasN6

This forum is Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2005, Simple Machines integrated by Datschge basing on Simplicity by Bloc
 (Read 4216 times) [1]

Soul Nomad & the World Eaters
« on: September 30, 2007, 06:51:04 PM » by Aquillion
Anyone else picked this up?  It's strange; it doesn't seem like a typical Nippon Ichi game (in fact, I probably wouldn't have known it was by them if it didn't have their logo on it.)  It seems more like the original Ogre Battle or like Bahamut Lagoon; you divide your characters up into squads called, for some reason, 'rooms', and move them like a single unit in battle.  Then, when they fight, everyone in the squad gets in one attack of a type based on what row they're in (ogre-battle style, so a mage in the front row hits the enemy with a book, while one in the back row casts a spell.)

There's some other interesting quirks.  The 'rooms' you use to form your units can have special properties and different slots (e.g. one might have three front row slots, and one middle row slot, while another might have one in front and middle, and two in back.)  Also, there are special combo attacks you can use if you put certain combinations of units together in a room; and you can use 'map' attacks based on who you assign as a squad's leader (though you can only use each one a limited number of times per battle, to keep them from overwhelming the combat system...  like they often could in Bahamut Lagoon.)

And, of course, if you haven't heard the game's plot:  Your character is possessed by the demon of an evil cursed sword real early in the game.  This demon wants to destroy the world, but you get some power just by being bound to him, and he'll give you more, if you ask it...  the cost being that he slowly gains more and more control of your body as you use his powers.  If you use it too much, he takes over your body and destroys the world (like the Ide Gauge in SRW, or the Dragon Gauge in Dragon Quarter.)

Anyway, it seems neat so far.
IP Logged

Re: Soul Nomad & the World Eaters
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2007, 11:59:51 PM » by Bastard king Seriously? Dood!
I'm still wondering why Agasi hasn't gotten her own game yet.

(Agasi is a secret boss in this game as well)
IP Logged

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2007, 12:12:45 PM » by Duke Fleed
Wow, good call.  I missed this obscure release altogether and your description definitely shows it to be a worthy addition to any srpg collection. Thanks.
IP Logged

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2007, 10:50:51 PM » by Osairis
Lines of the original Ogre Battle? I sure missed that style, especially with Ogre Battle 64...(Which I still regrettably let go years ago..ARGH.)
I want to try the game, but I also need to budget out my earnings as well. Though, most of the funds go into food and not anything else. Tis the life of a person who is rarely home at all...

However, I will probably pick this game up eventually, although I'm worried about the nature of the game becoming extremely hard to find. Sigh...And I recently bought Growlanser too..I can't buy two games in two weeks...Can I?
IP Logged

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2007, 12:25:47 AM » by Curu
I'm still wondering why Agasi hasn't gotten her own game yet.

(Agasi is a secret boss in this game as well)

She's probably going to end up being a "Running gag" of sorts in Nippon Ichi games. Always a secret boss never a hero.

Edit: Further more, as soon as I recieve my PS2 Soul Noamd was the very first game I planned to pick up.
IP Logged

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2007, 04:03:29 PM » by Duke Fleed
This game finally arrived in Canada and upon playing the preliminary battle, I have to say...this game so far seems like a total ripoff of fire emblem.  Exceptmarkedly worse (disgaea-ish) graphics. 

But we'll see how I feel once I've completed it
IP Logged

« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2007, 04:51:13 PM » by Aquillion
You mean the initial one-on-one fight with your best friend?  That's not really a good example of the battle system, since you don't have actual Rooms (basically, the game's term for Ogre Battle or Bahamut Lagoon-style parties that move and act like a single unit on the tactical map.)
IP Logged

« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2007, 06:42:01 PM » by Novacat
Actually been playing that for the past few days myself.

Fun bits: Rooms AND decors get more powerful as room level increases with inspections. Homes are permanent, so while it takes a lot to upgrade'em (you can get lucky and get 6-7 slot rooms when changing around) its definitely worth it later on.

20 inspection fights'll open(randomly) an extra spot in the room, but its kinda harsh to get to early on. By then the room'll be fully upgraded, my gladiator room's basically netting me +10% PER square moved on attack power, those +20% decors are +45%... and so on.

The game plays most like original ogre battle, with the main difference being tile/turn based map movement as opposed to the old realtime. In any other way its closer to the original ogre battle than anything else that's come out, I'd say.
IP Logged

(Read 4216 times) [1]
Jump to: