progress news ~ merry christmas, and apologies

You are here: The Pantheon / Seven Heavens / Svarga - Site News / Topic: Progress News ~ Merry Christmas, and Apologies

Gon is really angry
 right now.

ThreadTools

Print

ForumStats

11018 Posts, 538 Topics, 757 Members, Latest Member: jssnormns01

This forum is Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2005, Simple Machines integrated by Datschge basing on Simplicity by Bloc
 (Read 16494 times) [1]

Progress News ~ Merry Christmas, and Apologies
« on: December 26, 2009, 01:45:12 PM » by Gideon Zhi Devil Summoner
I´d hoped to have Megami Tensei (as in, the original) out yesterday, but due in part to being with relatives for the last 48 hours (without internet) I was unable to post this yesterday. Unfortunately this is not the biggest problem with my plan, as several extraordinarily nasty bugs (including the one pictured in the screens below, which refused to die and killed my entire party quite handily) have reared their heads and are preventing the release. The game is mostly done, I think, though I do want to get some of the more nonsensical text segments doublechecked, but the issue is largely due to the physical expansion of the ROM.

Physical expansion (i.e. making the game bigger and being able to fit more text in) is a relatively easy task when dealing with SNES games. Not so with the NES. The glitches - possibly related to timing and interrupts - were initially discovered to be causing visual corruption in the maze layouts. These are easily ameliorated by simply turning your view, but given that this is a first-person dungeon crawl, the bug was deemed serious enough to hold back a release. However when I endeavored to play further, I encountered several further problems, including the Mappa spell´s output (a minimap in the left-hand pane) locking in place instead of moving with the player, Nakajima dropping to level 1 after gaining a level in battle yet retaining all of his statistics while Yumiko progressed normally, and of course, the nasty creature pictured in the attached screens, which frankly seemed to be unkillable. Given the severity of these issues, I cannot yet in good faith release the game to the public.

(I´ve actually just finished talking with Liana, who you may remember from Metal Max Returns. She´s done some research and apparently the Bug enemy is not a bug. I hope that sounds as odd to you as it did when I wrote it! The other issues still stand, though.)

However, I *HAVE* done a lot of work on the game in the last week. I´ve tweaked the font to be a bit more uniform and much more readable (I´ve un-bolded a few of the letters and straightened out the heights), and I´ve redrawn the bland "DON" that appears when you bang into a wall to be a much more fancy "BAM" (pictured below.) I´ve re-researched all of the enemy names and brought them up to speed with proper romanizations. Several of them don´t appear in any other Megami Tensei title, or certainly not in any that have been released in English - examples include Akhushtal, Viy, A Bao A Qu, Bathym and Myrrha. I´ve inserted most, if not all, of the miscellaneous text in the game - and Lord knows there´s plenty of the stuff. I wouldn´t be at all surprised to find out that I´d missed some.

I´ll post more news when I have it. Can´t say when that´ll be, though, and I apologize again if I´ve disappointed anyone.
Screenshot Screenshot

IP Logged

Re: Progress News ~ Merry Christmas, and Apologies
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2009, 02:40:41 PM » by Derek The Blue Wings of Kyonoshi
Bah, I missed it by just a hair. It was A Tensei, at least.

Take all the time you need to get things working right, Gid. As glitched as SMT1 and 2 can be on occasion, I'd really rather not risk a rushjob on the original.

dragonmasterjb0: Apparently, in the new series, Lina is arrested at one point on charges of being Lina Inverse.

The rest of the party, in typical Slayers fashion, gives a reaction to the effect of "Sounds reasonable."
IP Logged

« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2009, 03:10:35 PM » by Drake333
Awesome, thanks to AGTP, I will soon be able to play the original classic which started the whole series.

As usual, take your time. Good releases are better than quick ones. There are plenty of things to do in the meantime.

On that note, I beat Gon recently. I don't think I have seen a game with less text. I recommend it to anyone who likes unusual games or those who enjoy side-scroller games. Also, it has a very simple story for each stage, so if you want a detailed one you might be disappointed. Also, Gon is quite talented.
IP Logged

« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2009, 06:04:59 PM » by Sakura77 Lost Newtype Child
Since it's a Tensei, take as much time as you want to finish it. Good luck with getting rid of all the bugs and I know that everybody will enjoy it when it gets released whenever that is.

Things can always get worse...
IP Logged

« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2009, 07:40:08 PM » by Aquillion
Since it's a Tensei, take as much time as you want to finish it. Good luck with getting rid of all the bugs and I know that everybody will enjoy it when it gets released whenever that is.
Except for the bugs that are part of the game!

Now I'm really curious about that thing.  I guess it makes sense, given that the later games had physical computer viruses as demons...
IP Logged

Re: Progress News ~ Merry Christmas, and A
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2009, 08:38:33 PM » by Chibi Kami
Given the detail in the Bug enemy sprite itself, I'd be instantly skeptical that it wan't a part of the game design, especially considering that our hero created a demon summoning "program."

That aside, this would have made a fantastic Christmas gift.To quote one of the Ultima 8 developers, "Flames and a pentagram, just in time for Christmas."

Oh well, take your time and make it awesome.

The power of love is the most chaotic and destructive force in the known universe.
IP Logged

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2010, 03:56:54 PM » by Fallen_Reality Hinokagutsuchi
Is there somewhere I can find a text dump of the translation you're working on/from?

I want to do a full plot synopsis, and I know it's not too plot heavy, but I want to complete the Megami Tensei Wikia page on this game. I figured you have a file somewhere with your translation, so it would be easy to post it somewhere.

I understand if you don't want to, I just thought it wouldn't hurt to ask. Thank you either way.

Also, I'd like to say thanks for allowing us the chance to play such great games that publishers are either too foolhardy or wary to bring to the rest of the world.

My brain rotted out years ago from games and TV, so your logical arguments won't work on me. 'Game Gods of Happiness'© BP
IP Logged

« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2010, 06:51:00 PM » by Gideon Zhi Devil Summoner
There honestly really isn't much for plot, and what little is there is in a horribly disjointed sequence, so I'm afraid it wouldn't be much use to you.

IP Logged

« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2010, 01:18:37 AM » by Fallen_Reality Hinokagutsuchi
« Last Edit: January 27, 2010, 08:05:20 PM by Fallen_Reality »
Could you help me? I'm not sure what some of the area names mean:

Castle Vien
Mazurka
Hono-no-Fukai

Do you have any insight as to what they mean? "Mazurka" and "Hono-no-Fukai" are particularly hard to understand. I'm guessing that "Hono-no-Fukai" might be an approximation of an Egyptian term. The only "Mazurka" I can find is a Polish dance, so I assume that's not the real definition.

Does this game have credits at the end?

Also, any word if you plan to translate "Megami Tensei II" or "Kyūyaku Megami Tensei", the remake of I+II? I'm not begging, but "Megami Tensei II" is such a strange beast, it's hard not being able to play it.

My brain rotted out years ago from games and TV, so your logical arguments won't work on me. 'Game Gods of Happiness'© BP
IP Logged

« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2010, 09:43:38 PM » by Todd134
This is great! I love the first two games and this will be a treat to play. Great work, and I definitely can't wait to play.
IP Logged

(Read 16494 times) [1]
Jump to: