srw: lord of elemental remake for ds?

You are here: The Pantheon / Seven Heavens / Elysium - Gaming / Topic: SRW: Lord of Elemental remake for DS?

Gon is really angry
 right now.

ThreadTools

Print

ForumStats

10987 Posts, 530 Topics, 743 Members, Latest Member: brbrafns01

This forum is Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2005, Simple Machines integrated by Datschge basing on Simplicity by Bloc
 (Read 12591 times) 1 [2]

Re: SRW: Lord of Elemental remake for DS?
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2010, 03:42:17 PM » by EaterBrain Shin Getter's Voice of Reason
« Last Edit: April 16, 2010, 04:04:06 PM by EaterBrain »
The second trailer looks much better, IMO.

At the very least, Black Hole Cluster and Akashic Buster have some pretty frigging sweet animations.
You're right those do look nice, it'd be pretty embarrassing if they didn't, I think it's done with a short prerendered clip with a sprite overlay and that's a very reasonable solution for FX-intensive scenes on weak hardware, nothing to pick on there, but have you seen the animations for simpler attacks? That's TWO whole frames of QUALITY animation right there!

Now that I've cooled down after the initial explosive reaction, I admit that the lack of animation wouldn't have bothered me all that much if not for the ugly coloring\shading on those 3D models that they've ripped sprites from. For heaven's sake, they look worse than those used for SRW OG anime and nowhere is it more evident than in the Valcion scene! Poor, poor Val...

If Gideon decides to cancel the SNES translation if\when an official English DS version is announced l will not grumble, but this remake does leave something to be desired.
IP Logged

« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2010, 08:55:44 PM » by Isao Kronos Knight of The Lesser Internet Realms
it's a srw game that isn't that endless frontier crap or suparobo gakuen

i don't see what the problem is

CONCERTO!
IP Logged

« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2010, 07:31:21 AM » by EaterBrain Shin Getter's Voice of Reason
« Last Edit: April 17, 2010, 07:48:57 AM by EaterBrain »

Crude CG models, that's what the main problem! There's also the problem of having animations that aren't even close to SRWJ (let alone a DS SRWs, even the EF games that you despise)  in the year 2010.  

And don't get me started on Endless Frontier! While the use of SRW IP for that game was entirely pointless, the fanservice rather excessive and somewhat vulgar (that's my personal opinion, most EF fans would disagree with it), entertaining battle system, the character animation quality and a good score allow that game to stand on its own.  
I have to agree on the Gakuen game though, that was pretty lackluster-- I'm sure there could have been a better way of crating an arena where you can see GaoGaiGar and Mazinkaiser to duke it out.

And while both Gakuen and EF weren't aimed at the hardcore fandom, seeing as they are results of silly diversification schemes (EF was the only successful one, apparently), SRWG is exactly the opposite and that's why I'm disturbed by its low quality compared to other recent handheld SRW titles.

If my reactions seem overly dramatic it's only because I don't see anyone bringing up these flaws and this baffles me.
SOYLENT GREEN IS PEOPLE!
IP Logged

« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2010, 08:08:13 PM » by alaras

Quiet you!  I was hoping to see Gakuen translated by someone, someday!  Don't jinx it!
IP Logged

« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2010, 01:26:05 AM » by JayBee That's how I roll.

Crude CG models, that's what the main problem! There's also the problem of having animations that aren't even close to SRWJ (let alone a DS SRWs, even the EF games that you despise)  in the year 2010. 

And don't get me started on Endless Frontier! While the use of SRW IP for that game was entirely pointless, the fanservice rather excessive and somewhat vulgar (that's my personal opinion, most EF fans would disagree with it), entertaining battle system, the character animation quality and a good score allow that game to stand on its own. 
I have to agree on the Gakuen game though, that was pretty lackluster-- I'm sure there could have been a better way of crating an arena where you can see GaoGaiGar and Mazinkaiser to duke it out.
If my reactions seem overly dramatic it's only because I don't see anyone bringing up these flaws and this baffles me.
SOYLENT GREEN IS PEOPLE!

To be honest, I expected a straight port of the SNES version. I hadn't actually WATCHED the trailer, partially due to my skinny pipe making it a painful load.

I miss the stone tablet style status and dialog bars. :(

Could be worse. They didn't redo it to be SD like almost all the other SRW games, have Katoki redesign all the Elementals, make all the girls "moe", or any other dumbassery.

APPRIVOISE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
IP Logged

« Reply #20 on: April 18, 2010, 04:52:16 AM » by EaterBrain Shin Getter's Voice of Reason
« Last Edit: April 18, 2010, 04:54:54 AM by EaterBrain »
Could be worse. They didn't redo it to be SD like almost all the other SRW games, have Katoki redesign all the Elementals, make all the girls "moe", or any other dumbassery.
You're right, there could be other ways tho mess it up but do note that this does not make it a valid excuse. The Transformers movies could have been worse, Daikatana could have been worse, Nazis could have been worse... But although I agree that using SD mecha here would be strange, considering LoE's legacy, have you seen the Masouki in Alpha Gaiden? They look absolutely fantastic! Being non-SD does not automatically make the game better than the SD titles.

Ok, I guess that enough bitching from me. Most fans don't have any issues with that game, so my rants seem pretty pointless. It's like I'm one of those "STOP HAVING FUN GUYS!" trolls... I just had to vent on this issue, it does feel better now that I did.
And let me tell you right now that I certainly wouldn't think any worse of anyone for liking the LoE remake.
IP Logged

« Reply #21 on: April 18, 2010, 05:39:40 AM » by JayBee That's how I roll.
You're right, there could be other ways tho mess it up but do note that this does not make it a valid excuse.
Oh, I know.
It's just not near as bad as I've come to expect from VG remakes.
Bandamco understands SOMETHING of their market, at least.

(Actually, tri-Ace probably does too.... which is WHY Star Ocean 2's remake made Rena look like she's in kindergarten. :'( )

But although I agree that using SD mecha here would be strange, considering LoE's legacy, have you seen the Masouki in Alpha Gaiden? They look absolutely fantastic! Being non-SD does not automatically make the game better than the SD titles.
All other things being equal, in this case I think properly-dimensioned is better.
Alpha family gets a LOT of bonus points for the extensive animation, while Gaiden remake is still doing the "classic-style" static sprites.

As a general case, I think SD is probably better for SRW, as it avoids the massive scale issues that are so rampant(you can load Gunbuster into the hanger of a carrier smaller than Gunbuster, to pick the most extreme exampe).

Ok, I guess that enough bitching from me. Most fans don't have any issues with that game, so my rants seem pretty pointless. It's like I'm one of those "STOP HAVING FUN GUYS!" trolls... I just had to vent on this issue, it does feel better now that I did.
And let me tell you right now that I certainly wouldn't think any worse of anyone for liking the LoE remake.
Ranting is fun, though!
I think I'm due to crap out another encyclopedia volume on Silver Star Story soon(I HOPE Gaiden pays more respect to the original than THAT abomination did).

APPRIVOISE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
IP Logged

« Reply #22 on: April 18, 2010, 10:55:12 PM » by Isao Kronos Knight of The Lesser Internet Realms
eaterbrain I'm just burnt out on people griping about SRW for the rest of my life thanks to codename:v (posts on blogs and stuff, really annoying cockbite)

CONCERTO!
IP Logged

« Reply #23 on: April 19, 2010, 09:03:01 AM » by EaterBrain Shin Getter's Voice of Reason
« Last Edit: April 19, 2010, 09:11:25 AM by EaterBrain »
eaterbrain I'm just burnt out on people griping about SRW for the rest of my life thanks to codename:v (posts on blogs and stuff, really annoying cockbite)
Oh I know about that guy! You have my sympathies, codename:v's douchebagerry is second to none (at least in the SRW fandom). In fact, c:v infamy has reached such epic proportions that it seems other mecha fandom trolls feel obliged to use his nickname or image macros (the "You are a homosexual!" ones) whenever they post.

P.S. Does his namesake still troll SRW Hotnews? I didn't visit it lately.
IP Logged

« Reply #24 on: April 21, 2010, 04:53:39 AM » by Isao Kronos Knight of The Lesser Internet Realms
i haven't seen him comment really since Exceed came out. of course, i've only really been on to look at the LoE screenshots, he might be trolling the ACE comments

CONCERTO!
IP Logged

« Reply #25 on: May 27, 2010, 01:08:34 PM » by TCM Chrono, by another name.
Vids are up on youtube.

As I originally suspected, the game looks way better in motion/finalized than it did in early trailers.

Signatures? We're in the lap of luxury now!
IP Logged

(Read 12591 times) 1 [2]
Jump to: