progress news ~ ancient magic: script fully inserted

You are here: The Pantheon / Seven Heavens / Svarga - Site News / Topic: Progress News ~ Ancient Magic: Script Fully Inserted

Gon is really angry
 right now.

ThreadTools

Print

ForumStats

11042 Posts, 544 Topics, 779 Members, Latest Member: miktran

This forum is Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2005, Simple Machines integrated by Datschge basing on Simplicity by Bloc
 (Read 14599 times) [1]

Progress News ~ Ancient Magic: Script Fully Inserted
« on: May 01, 2010, 01:48:31 PM » by Gideon Zhi Devil Summoner
A few days ago I finally managed to get Ancient Magic´s auto-format routine working nearly 100%. What this means, in effect, is that I add a single control code at the start of a string, and the game itself adds line breaks where appropriate. This is complicated by Ancient Magic´s text system for two reasons. First, there is no standard "line break" command like most games have; instead, the game has a "print cursor position" command, which takes X and Y parameter bytes. Second, the routine likes to recursively call itself, most notably to differentiate between the speech patterns of the male and female main characters. These have been fully retained in the text translation, and the routine is currently navigating said recursive jumps with about 98% accuracy. Of course we need 100%, but it´s really cool to see nonetheless.

The *nice* thing about the super annoying Cursor Position command is that it lets me tweak menus like crazy, and take advantage of the double-spacing that ten-ten marks usually occupy. I´ve also managed to add max hp and max mp indicators to the battle window, which the original game did not have!

I don´t know how much longer this will take, but I´d like to have it being playtested in a week or two. No guarantees on that, of course.
Screenshot Screenshot

IP Logged

Re: Progress News ~ Ancient Magic: Script Fully Inserted
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2010, 03:59:53 AM » by EaterBrain Shin Getter's Voice of Reason
My God... If only you made this post 2 days later it'd be exactly THREE YEARS since your first news post about this game!
IP Logged

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2010, 03:27:29 PM » by cpu
>I´ve also managed to add max hp and max mp indicators to the battle window, which the original game did not have!

awesome...
incredible...

I want to doing like that in my project..
but, we cant stop/pause time and aging...
IP Logged

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2010, 04:16:51 PM » by ChrisABlair
Wow this is awe...

>I´ve also managed to add max hp and max mp indicators to the battle window, which the original game did not have!

Phenomenal, Gid. I've always loved how you added more awesome to an already awesome title. Keep up the good work, sir.

Sweetdiculous!
IP Logged

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2010, 10:15:18 PM » by jolly_old_saint
« Last Edit: May 04, 2010, 10:17:34 PM by jolly_old_saint »
So...from those screenshots I assume this is about some Shirley girl who thought her father was a healer, except really he just pissed off some of the Mushroom folk and they cursed him and his family to be chased by Mushroom folk for all eternity? And the mushroom folk can only be pacified by singing, except that's just a fakeout option and you have to kill them the conventional way? Else they'll unleash their magic mushroom people power?

At the end of things, just-faiz the means.
http://www.youtube.com/user/jollytheoldsaint
IP Logged

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2010, 11:30:34 PM » by Gideon Zhi Devil Summoner
The main character can be male or female; Shirley is the default name for the female character. You can also pick your profession at the start (Healer seems most useful, at least from the descriptions...) Her father was really a wizard.

Feyr's profession is "Bard" and, as such, his unique battle command is Sing. Romal, who you find fairly soon after starting the game, is a knight and has Duel for a unique command. I've only used it once, but he instantly killed the target.

And the mushrooms are just mushrooms :p

IP Logged

« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2010, 03:34:49 AM » by jolly_old_saint
....My version's better. Since you're improving it so much and all, you should make it like I said.

At the end of things, just-faiz the means.
http://www.youtube.com/user/jollytheoldsaint
IP Logged

« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2010, 11:33:45 PM » by Killmore Insta-death spell level 2.
So just out of curiosity, is there any real difference between protagonists (like different party members), or is it something like the GBA Summon Night games where nothing was changed except for some scenes being more humorous/awesome in girl mode?

Or is it more like SO2 where the developers really shouldn't have bothered to begin with?
IP Logged

« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2010, 12:06:06 AM » by JayBee That's how I roll.

Or is it more like SO2 where the developers really shouldn't have bothered to begin with?
RENA SIDE 4 LYFE

APPRIVOISE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
IP Logged

« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2010, 07:39:57 AM » by Gideon Zhi Devil Summoner
So just out of curiosity, is there any real difference between protagonists (like different party members), or is it something like the GBA Summon Night games where nothing was changed except for some scenes being more humorous/awesome in girl mode?

I don't think there's really a difference to be honest, but I haven't played enough of it to say for certain.

You're given a similar boy/girl choice in Hourai High though, and that IS drastically different depending on which one you pick.

IP Logged

« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2010, 11:26:28 PM » by Derek The Blue Wings of Kyonoshi

RENA SIDE 4 LYFE

And one of these days, I'll actually finish it. Just as soon as I get over my pathological hatred for Dias. >_>

dragonmasterjb0: Apparently, in the new series, Lina is arrested at one point on charges of being Lina Inverse.

The rest of the party, in typical Slayers fashion, gives a reaction to the effect of "Sounds reasonable."
IP Logged

« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2010, 06:47:47 AM » by ultpaladin
I always hated the fact that Claude's side could not get Dias to join the party, but always had an aversion for playing Rena's side too.

Anyways, back to the original topic, I hope the work on the game is moving along smoothly.  Has this game been able to enter testing yet?

Churchill: If Hitler invaded Hell I would make at least a favorable reference to the devil in the House of Commons
IP Logged

« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2010, 07:23:09 AM » by Gideon Zhi Devil Summoner
No, but it's getting close. The latest task is to rearrange the item and magic menus in battle so they work similarly to the ones in Madara; unfortunately due to the boneheaded way that this game does its checking (by actual cursor coordinates instead of by, say, an index) it's kind of a pain in the arse. But it'll get there soon.

IP Logged

« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2010, 02:45:10 PM » by Armetius
The male/female option could be more like with Bioware's games, where it mostly just effects dialog with specific characters.
IP Logged

(Read 14599 times) [1]
Jump to: