everyone check this article out.

You are here: The Pantheon / Seven Heavens / Gan Eden - General Discussion / Topic: Everyone check this article out.

Gon is really angry
 right now.

ThreadTools

Print

ForumStats

11042 Posts, 544 Topics, 779 Members, Latest Member: miktran

This forum is Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2005, Simple Machines integrated by Datschge basing on Simplicity by Bloc
 (Read 4925 times) [1]

Everyone check this article out.
« on: July 12, 2010, 11:13:50 PM » by Solar12
Look here.

http://www.1up.com/do/feature?pager.offset=0&cId=3180292

Its an article about the history and growing popularity of rom hacking and translations in the US. They also talk about the big man himself Gideon Zhi.

Its a good read, check it out.
IP Logged

Re: Everyone check this article out.
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2010, 08:12:42 AM » by Derek The Blue Wings of Kyonoshi
These are our heroes, ladies and gentlemen. Without them, we wouldn't have gotten some of the best games that ever came out without our knowledge back in the original eras, and I for one would have never discovered the greatness of SMT or SRW. So thank them all, folks. The ones who started it, the ones who continue it, the ones who have moved on, and the ones who have passed on. Thank every single one of them, for they had our interests in mind when they sat down in front of that computer the day they started. My patron deity may be St. Gideon, but I know enough to know he's not the only one out there.

So thank you, guys. You broadened my gaming horizons in ways I never would have expected, and I've enjoyed every minute of it. TEN MORE YEARS!

dragonmasterjb0: Apparently, in the new series, Lina is arrested at one point on charges of being Lina Inverse.

The rest of the party, in typical Slayers fashion, gives a reaction to the effect of "Sounds reasonable."
IP Logged

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2010, 01:06:58 AM » by Dsvaun
« Last Edit: July 14, 2010, 01:12:54 AM by Dsvaun »
I'd certainly drink to that. Here's to another ten years of terrific translations and little to no C&D letters.
IP Logged

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2010, 10:18:19 AM » by CrocMagnum
Thanks for the link Solar12. Moreover they mention some Big Names in the community: Gideon Zhi, Tomato, Neill Corlett, Nightcrawler ... This article is a nice tribute.

"Super Robot Taisen 3" was the very first fan-translated game I played. It was the game that got me into the "Robot Wars" stuff. Heck! I can't thank you enough for this.

It is heart-warming to see there are still decent guys / girls in this galaxy. ^_^

Note: on page 3 the writer says "Gideon may have other interests [...] but ROM translation is still a major part of his life; at the moment, he's hoping to complete six projects by the end of the year."

Darn! That's one hell of a teasing... ; )

Peace & Food!
IP Logged

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2010, 07:35:23 PM » by alaras
Honestly, sounds like he's working on MY schedule!  Kinda disturbing to think about someone who's that much of a workaholic...
IP Logged

« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2010, 03:07:12 PM » by ChrisABlair
I've always appreciated people like Gid and Demi as the guys who introduced me to series I'd have never played otherwise. They have put so much time into their work, along side their regular life, that it is really hard to NOT appreciate the work they do.

Sweetdiculous!
IP Logged

« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2010, 03:12:10 AM » by Dsvaun
« Last Edit: July 17, 2010, 03:20:58 AM by Dsvaun »
Not surprised his main attraction is listed as Cave Story with the Wii version. Just look at the project page. The projects usually list somewhere around 30 thousand views. Cave Story is HALF A MILLION. If thats not making an impact on the romhack community, I don't know what is.
IP Logged

« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2010, 03:15:06 PM » by Asema
Yeah, I have Gid and company to thank in no small part for getting me into a lot of series I otherwise wouldn't have -- they've changed my perception of RPGs and, indeed, a lot of other genres as well, and that's at the very least something I'm thankful for. Fan translations are often decried by people for this or that, but at the end of the day, if it weren't for them, a lot of us probably wouldn't be where we are now as far as video gaming goes, eh?
IP Logged

(Read 4925 times) [1]
Jump to: