major release news ~ ancient magic is out.

You are here: The Pantheon / Seven Heavens / Svarga - Site News / Topic: Major Release News ~ Ancient Magic is out.

Gon is calm
 right now.

ThreadTools

Print

ForumStats

10845 Posts, 502 Topics, 698 Members, Latest Member: JDeschamp

This forum is Powered by SMF 1.1.19 | SMF © 2005, Simple Machines integrated by Datschge basing on Simplicity by Bloc
 (Read 6800 times) [1] 2

Major Release News ~ Ancient Magic is out.
« on: December 19, 2010, 01:34:36 AM » by Gideon Zhi Devil Summoner
Ancient Magic is a fairly generic little RPG for the SNES by the much-maligned Hot-B. See if you can spot their advert for another of their products in the game! Despite its rather pedestrian roots, the game takes several surprising twists towards the end, and is generally worth sticking it out even if the wrap-up (or lack thereof) is a bit of a let down. As a note, there´s more game past "THE END." Also as a note, do set your window speed to "fast" in the in-game options menus - it´ll improve your experience dramatically.

A godawful amount of work went into this, probably more than was worth it. If I can find the time sometime in the next week or so, I´ll put up some kind of postmortem showing off before-and-afters of a bunch of the interface rearrangements. Fun fact, in the original Japanese version, you couldn´t see your max HP or MP in battle! You can in mine, though!

And now I´m going to bed.
Screenshot Screenshot

IP Logged

Re: Major Release News ~ Ancient Magic is out.
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2010, 01:53:26 AM » by Frumple
Ahaha, man, it's been a while since I've posted here. Just keying in to say 'awesome', and I that I was th'ninth person to nab the patch. No one after me shall be in single digits!

A postmortem would be interesting. Here's hoping you find th'time (if not at th'expense of your own enjoyment!).
IP Logged

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2010, 01:56:24 AM » by Gideon Zhi Devil Summoner
As a note, of the three this one qualifies as the "something really old." We still have the "something old" and the "something waaaay older than even that last one, no, seriously" left to go!

IP Logged

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2010, 02:17:09 AM » by ChrisABlair
I was pleasantly happy to be fourth to download. Keep up the good work Gid.

Sweetdiculous!
IP Logged

« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2010, 02:29:02 AM » by Myotis
It doesn't seem to work, I've tried it with several working roms which then cease to operate after patching.
IP Logged

« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2010, 02:46:52 AM » by Mannypooh
i used win IPS to patch the game and it worked! just make sure to click on the create log box when you do it just incase anything goes wrong. :)
IP Logged

« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2010, 02:53:47 AM » by Myotis
I see...should I not use Lunar IPS then? Thanks for the help.
IP Logged

« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2010, 02:57:05 AM » by Mannypooh
i used lunar IPS but for me it didnt patch the rom or it corrupted it, thats what happens to me when i tried to patch it using that program a few times. You can get Win IPS from zophar.net. Go all the way down and you will see game modification on the right hand side; then go to patching. It worked for me pretty well, despite me having win 7 as my OS.
IP Logged

« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2010, 03:10:26 AM » by Frumple
Lunar worked fine for me after I de-headered th'file in question. Made it to th'second town, but not before a pink pig nearly slaughtered my entire party (of two -- it dropped Jack th'female sailor in about three attacks.).
IP Logged

« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2010, 03:16:23 AM » by Mannypooh
with my patching, i used lunar IPS and the patch failed to work and was still in japanese but i used Win IPS on the same file and translation file and got it to work :o just offering an alternative to see if it's the same problem or if he needs to change his video settings or emulator :)
IP Logged

« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2010, 03:19:22 AM » by Myotis
Okay, so I tried the patcher you recommended, and it seemed to work at first, but then it was the same result. I thought it was the emulator, so I tried ZSNES, but that flat out crashed. I'm seriously confused now, and wondering if it's the rom or something. Thanks again for the help, though.
IP Logged

« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2010, 03:36:12 AM » by Mannypooh
have you tried Bsnes? thats the one that im using. Just make sure the video driver is not open GL or you might get a blank screen :)
IP Logged

« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2010, 03:48:54 AM » by Myotis
« Last Edit: December 19, 2010, 03:54:45 AM by Myotis »
Okay, it has GOT to be the rom I'm using, seeing as nothing works. I like this emulator, so I'll find some from other rom sites and try them. Thanks again for all the help.

EDIT: Problem solved; I now know better than to go to that site again.
IP Logged

« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2010, 09:31:55 AM » by Drake333
Okay, it has GOT to be the rom I'm using, seeing as nothing works. I like this emulator, so I'll find some from other rom sites and try them. Thanks again for all the help.

EDIT: Problem solved; I now know better than to go to that site again.

In general, when browsing rom sites, I recommend always going for roms which don't have anything but (J) at the end of the filename. (or ! if nothing else is available.) You did the right thing though in that, when all else fails, try another rom.

As for the release, thank you Gideon Zhi for all your hard work as usual. At some point I'll have the money to be able to donate a little to you, (and the hundreds of other causes/projects on my list) but for now I hope my appreciation is good enough. ;)
IP Logged

« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2010, 10:17:51 AM » by KingMike
Uh... I just downloaded the patch from this site... and where'd the readme go?
I'm curious what the bug is before I start. :)
IP Logged

(Read 6800 times) [1] 2
Jump to: