ancient magic in-game help(spoilers)

You are here: The Pantheon / Seven Heavens / Elysium - Gaming / Topic: Ancient magic in-game help(spoilers)

Gon is really angry
 right now.

ThreadTools

Print

ForumStats

11043 Posts, 545 Topics, 780 Members, Latest Member: jnmoors01

This forum is Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2005, Simple Machines integrated by Datschge basing on Simplicity by Bloc
 (Read 9027 times) [1] 2

Ancient magic in-game help(spoilers)
« on: January 08, 2011, 04:21:50 PM » by Wizard
Does anyone here besides me have gotten far in the game?? i am at the veran temple and at the Orhees fight...i just cant beat him...he keeps spamming death ray...and i dont have or know a spell to halve magical damage ...i tried using the jewel of telis on him to nullify his magic...but it has a short time duration and it breaks after i use it...

He keeps decimating my party with death ray and he dodges like mad...i mostly always miss him...and the only thing that hurts him the most are physical attacks

IIf anyone can give me some tips on how to defeat him i would appreciate a lot...
IP Logged

Re: Ancient magic in-game help(spoilers)
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2011, 01:21:51 AM » by Derek The Blue Wings of Kyonoshi
First rule of RPGs: If you can't beat something, grind. Come back after a few levels with whatever better equipment you can scrounge up and see if your luck improves.

Other than that, dunno. I haven't gotten that far yet.

dragonmasterjb0: Apparently, in the new series, Lina is arrested at one point on charges of being Lina Inverse.

The rest of the party, in typical Slayers fashion, gives a reaction to the effect of "Sounds reasonable."
IP Logged

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2011, 01:42:17 PM » by Wizard
I know that rule for a long time...but this time it isnt working...i already have the best equipment..but this guy is insane...the spells in this game doesnt really have an description so i dont know if it has one that can halve magical spell damage or something like that....not to mention the enemies in the dungeon are cheap hard bastards who doenst yield good exp >_>
IP Logged

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2011, 03:10:17 PM » by Pete21
hey,

this guy is the toughest enemy in the entire game. It needed me several tries to beat him, even though I grinded and the stats of my party were rather high.

The problem with Orthees: He doesn't have a weakness against ANY form of magic, so the only way to beat him is to attack him. My party was: The hero, Nash, Beysen and Romal. I used Romal and Beysen to attack him all over the time. The hero and Nash stayed in the background healing all the party members in every round. Nevertheless, it took me about 25 minutes to beat him. (Don't know how many HP Orthess has, at least 5,000.) I had to use all my MP.

Important is, that you keep an eye on your MP in the fights before (against the evil princess and the priests); the less you use, the better. You need them in the Orthess-fight to heal your party. After beating Orthess your HP/MP are filled up again, so you can use them all. By the way, the final boss Shadozel (next fight after Orthess) is by far easier to beat than this guy.

Ah, another hint: DON'T move after having beaten Orthess. If you do, you have to fight him again --> meaning you are defeated.
IP Logged

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2011, 04:16:26 PM » by Wizard
What?? beysen and nash?? but is Nash actually a party member?? i thought he is the archmage of the castle and you couldnt get him in your party....the only offer it was given to me was Lot,Feyr and Romal...the faq didnt mentioned you could recruit those two in this fight

Where do i get them anyway??
IP Logged

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2011, 04:19:09 PM » by Wizard
Plus i am already at the city temple of veran...it will be a major in the ass to go back all the way...and i dunno if you can go back to the surface since the npcs teleport you to there...
IP Logged

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2011, 05:27:19 PM » by Pete21
« Last Edit: January 09, 2011, 05:42:27 PM by Pete21 »
You don't need Beysen or Nash to fight against Orthess. This were just the party-members I chose. Beysen because he has the best physical stats and doesn't need to equip any weapons. And Nash because he has lots of MP and strong spells. You can built your party out of every playable character in the game - short before you are sent to Veran (you could even choose Sedatis, the Elf-king or the warrior from Romos, forgot his name...).

So, I guess the hero, Romal, Beysen and Nash is the best combination to win against Orthess. But as I said, you can beat him with all the other combinations, too. Will be harder, but not impossible (for example if you choose the hero, Lot and Feyr you don't have strong physical fighters in your party apart from Romal --> as magic doesn't work against Orthess winning will be very hard then). Which party-members did you chose?

As far as I know you can't go back to the surface after having reached Veran. You have to do it with your current party-members. If you don't make it now, the only chance would be to do grinding in the dungeon near Veran before entering the temple. My party-members all had a level of round about 30 and even then I almost didn't make it. If you have less than level 25, the chance of winning will be near 0...
IP Logged

« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2011, 08:34:41 PM » by Wizard
I really didnt knew you could take anyone you want with you...i am screwed then...i have Lot,feyr,romal and my mage.....and my characters are all lv 27..save for romal who is lv 28 and feyr who is lv 26....the way i see now there is got to be an spell in the store that can resist magic or reflect or something like that...problem is..we dont have any description about what they do....and if his HP is what you say it its then i wont kill him....he dodges like mad and his spells really deal hell of a damage on me.....if none of the spells in the veran store can help me against him then its probably a game over and all the hard work thrown into the garbage =(
IP Logged

« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2011, 06:17:03 AM » by Pete21
« Last Edit: January 10, 2011, 06:28:52 AM by Pete21 »
don't think so. You should do grinding. The higher your level is, the less Orthess' magic will hurt you. Lot, Feyr, Romal and the mage probably means, you will need more than level 30. Just try it out. In the fight, you should attack with Romal all the time (the higher his level is, the less attacks Orthess can dodge). Take Lot, Feyr and your mage to heal your party. Maybe even one of your 3 mages has a spell to encrease the ANG-rate of your members (same effect as Feyr's sing-ability). If that's the case, you should let one of the three guys do this spell every second round, if not use them just to heal your party.

Another thing you could try: Let Romal and Feyr/Lot (don't know who of them has the better STR/ANG?) attack Orthess and heal your party with your mage and one of the other two. If doing so, give Feyr/Lot the best weapon you have.

No description - you are partly right. Yes, you can't see a description of the spells when buying them or within the spell-menu. That's one of the weaker points of Ancient Magic, as the whole gameplay sucks at certain points. But you can get a despription of almost every spell at the library of the magic school. And yes, there is a spell that can be used to reflect the enemy's magic, it's called "Reflect" if I remember it right... I also wanted to buy that spell, but when I found no shop where I could get it, I finally did it without.

So, don't complain - just strenghten your party a bit and then you should send Orthess back to hell!  ;)
IP Logged

« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2011, 08:31:21 AM » by Wizard
Guess you are right...the only path for me is grind now...otherwise i simply wont beat him and  its an game over for me...it will take a looong time though...while i am grinding i will try the spells at the shop and see what they do...perhaps one of them can give me an edge against him....too bad i will have to make my mage the healer...the granistrol deals good damage to him and he is the only one who can equip it

IP Logged

« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2011, 10:27:33 AM » by Wizard
And by the way the only char in the group that has an all healing spell is my main char....lot and feyr only have restore...so i hope that is still beatable with it...
IP Logged

« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2011, 10:37:11 AM » by Pete21
Ah, that's great! I forgot the Granistrol. ;)

So: Romal and your mage attack him. Feyr and Lot stay in the background doing healing spells. By the way, Restore works fine here. You don't need the spell filling up ALL the HP of every party-member. I used Restore and the spell that you get at the very beginning of the game, the one costing just 2 MP when using. That's better than the "Cure All"-spell, which costs you 35 MP.
IP Logged

« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2011, 11:00:20 AM » by Wizard
Got romal and lot to lv 30...feyr and clive(my mage) lv 28...i will probably try to get them all to 32 before i try orhees again...at least the Prison spell from the store is helping killing instanly the assassins..they give good exp and low resist to magic...
IP Logged

« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2011, 01:24:39 AM » by Aquillion
Yeah, the difficulty spikes hard at that point.  The fight is easier if you have an elf (either the princess or the elf-king -- especially the princess) because they can wield that MP-draining sword you got before, so you can have them alternate between beating on the boss with it and casting the super-expensive heal-all spell.  But you don't need them -- I beat him without them, using Lot and the gypsy-woman.

If you don't already know, note that the underground town has a second floor, with a magic-shop in it.  You can use that to try and get better spells for your casters...  it sells some pretty good stuff.  Sadly, offensive magic is mostly useless against this boss -- Hellfire will do a bit of damage over time, but isn't really worth it, and everything else sucks completely.

My advice:  Have half your party use the 2-mp Restore spell, even when you don't seem to need it.  When lots of people are injured, use the heal-all spell.  Try not to use it unnecessarily, but do use it whenever it looks like you need it -- don't worry about the MP cost; this is the hardest fight in the entire game, so spam MP-recovery items whenever things look difficult.

Also, an attack-raising spell can increase your damage output briefly -- though you might not get a free chance to cast it, since you'll have to heal so much.

Oh, and very important!  This boss loves to cast hellfire.  Remember, anyone who is hit by it will keep taking damage before each of their actions for the next few turns -- anticipate this and have whoever goes next heal them right after they act.

Focus primarily on healing, use MP-recovery items, have your hero and Romel beat the enemy with swords (but have your hero switch to healing whenever things look rough.)  That's just about it.  There's no special trick to this fight.  If you're really having trouble, exploit savestates to save whenever things seem to be going well and reload if things go badly.

Another option is to try and keep Reflect on your party at all times.  (Sadly, despite the name, it only nullifies spells rather than bouncing them, and it wears off really really quickly)  This is tough to pull off -- to keep Reflect up all the time, you need two casters casting it constantly, and since it costs a lot, you'll also need someone using mp-recovery items on them regularly, which pretty much reduces you to one character attacking.  But it does work, and you'll beat the boss as long as you have enough mp-recovery items stockpiled.  I forget if you can buy Reflect in the underworld, though.
IP Logged

« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2011, 01:35:30 AM » by Aquillion
Also, a few other points:

This doesn't help you now, but aside from the library in the mage school, you can also get a description of a spell by casting Identify on its scroll -- unfortunately, I'm guessing you don't have anyone who can cast Identify.

I'll emphasize again that the most important part of the fight is to have two people casting Restore constantly.  It's really the most useful spell in the game due to its low cost.  (That and Charm, for the same reason, but you can't use Charm in this fight.)
IP Logged

(Read 9027 times) [1] 2
Jump to: