dood... cave story produced by nis?

You are here: The Pantheon / Seven Heavens / Elysium - Gaming / Topic: Dood... Cave Story produced by NIS?

Gon is calm
 right now.

ThreadTools

Print

ForumStats

10947 Posts, 520 Topics, 748 Members, Latest Member: Wario-Man

This forum is Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2005, Simple Machines integrated by Datschge basing on Simplicity by Bloc
 (Read 5844 times) [1]

Dood... Cave Story produced by NIS?
« on: February 09, 2011, 12:22:29 PM » by Cruzifixio
http://kotaku.com/#!5754563/dood-what-the-heck-are-you-wearing

Color me exited.
I'm thinkin of a Pixel game produced by NIS...

"After all I'm the leading man, I might need to do something heroic"
IP Logged

Re: Dood... Cave Story produced by NIS?
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2011, 03:39:48 PM » by ChrisABlair
Could you imagine? Cave Story 2 by NIS.

Sweetdiculous!
IP Logged

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2011, 10:02:55 PM » by JayBee That's how I roll.
Yes, because having to grind for 300 hours to get the best ending would make Cave Story so much better.

Or, more generally... a sequel developed by people entirely unrelated to the original game and that have virtually no experience making that kind of game is ALWAYS a good idea.

APPRIVOISE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
IP Logged

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2011, 10:57:02 PM » by Cruzifixio
Yes, because having to grind for 300 hours to get the best ending would make Cave Story so much better.

I agree, but what about a game produced by NIS, but directed by Pixel? you know, he would have actual resources, a coding team, etc., huh?

IP Logged

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2011, 01:55:14 AM » by JayBee That's how I roll.
How would a lot of people working under him actually improve on things?
It takes him out of direct control. Especially when he's being paid by someone else, who he has to answer to.

Suuure you might get some higher-ers art and some fancier music out of the deal, but... strip the low-res pixel art and the lovely chiptunes away and you've lost half the personality of the game.

Cynical? I might be.
Realistic? Probably.
Sick of frickin' publicity stunts like this where a company throws a vague hint up and goes "Come back next week after the rumor mill's blown everything WAY out of proportion" with sites like Kotaku fanning the fire? Definitely.
Seriously, the Yuusha 30 hype with everyone screaming about a new Zelda game for a week because THERE WAS A TRIANGLE IN THE TEASER ART, combined with the post-unveil rants about deceptive advertising, pretty much burned any tolerance I had for this sort of nonsense. Just make your announcements and save us all the trouble, people..

APPRIVOISE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
IP Logged

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2011, 06:52:16 PM » by Aquillion
You don't usually have to grind to get the best ending in a NIS game.  In fact, you can usually beat the main game with no grinding at all; and normally, the way you get the best ending is by never killing any of your own characters.

They tend to provide the option to grind a lot, but their games are not generally difficult enough to require it -- the fact that people spend so much time grinding item worlds and the like says more about them than it does about NIS.
IP Logged

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2011, 06:55:45 PM » by Aquillion
With that said, I wouldn't be surprised if they're simply publishing something cave-story related, not actually doing any development work on it.  Remember, NIS is a publisher now, too.
IP Logged

« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2011, 03:21:02 AM » by JayBee That's how I roll.
You don't usually have to grind to get the best ending in a NIS game.  In fact, you can usually beat the main game with no grinding at all; and normally, the way you get the best ending is by never killing any of your own characters.

They tend to provide the option to grind a lot, but their games are not generally difficult enough to require it -- the fact that people spend so much time grinding item worlds and the like says more about them than it does about NIS.
Well, I was being excessively sarcastic anyways, so...
The point remains... what has NIS done to show they're qualified to make a new Cave Story game?
They've made two platformers EVER, and neither one was very "Cave Story-ish."

And what they ARE actually doing is a half-assed 3DS "remake."

Low-res polygons* replace the sprites, and while the map and gameplay is exactly the same,  the display code will project it outward and "bend" it to make it LOOK like the game moves in three dimensions.
See also: Duke Nukem: Manhattan Project.

I am unimpressed. But at least it's not a complete fiasco.
And if nothing else comes out of this, I now know there's a DSi version of Cave Story too.

*Almost always a bad call. Low-res polys look terrible, without exception. Aliasing is just too bad at low resolutions.

APPRIVOISE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
IP Logged

« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2011, 08:00:58 PM » by Cruzifixio
Oh well...
http://kotaku.com/#!5757615/cult-pc-game-being-remade-for-the-3ds

IP Logged

« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2011, 01:01:21 PM » by Kendaichi
Cave Story should always be in 2D, It just wont work as well if it's taken the step (down) to 3D or "2.5D".
One of the main charms of Cave Story is that classic feel the game has, Pixel did a great job with the graphics and music, they're very unique.
There's nothing unique with low-res polygons with blurry textures... I'm quite sure the music will still be good, but I don't think it'd ever be as good as the original.

I don't have that much hope for this, but I'll probably still end up playing it.
IP Logged

« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2011, 02:12:03 AM » by grimallq
It's looking more and more as an attempt to grab some new customers. It's a launch title for 3DS with some good platforming and story (even if it's lacking in atmosphere).

And, well ... 3DS. Nintendo might not be Sony America but I kind of doubt they'd release anything so close to launch date without any kind of 3D.
IP Logged

« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2011, 04:33:08 AM » by JayBee That's how I roll.
Honestly, I'm hoping they include a "classic" mode, similar to how the Wii version doesn't force you to use the 2xSAIed graphics and remixed music.

APPRIVOISE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
IP Logged

« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2011, 03:23:40 PM » by Killmore Insta-death spell level 2.
For nothing, I can play Cave Story on my computer. If I truly needed a mobile version of CS, there's the DSi port which I can get for the DSiWare Points left over from getting Shante and X-Scape. If I wanted a graphically redone version of CS I can get the WiiWare version.

So far it looks like the only real reasons I would want the 3DS version is either a) I want a mobile version of CS and don't trust DSiWare's ability to transfer to the 3DS, b) I want a mobile version of CS but don't have a DSi (and this assumes that the DSiWare catalog wont be available to the 3DS), c) I want to give NIS my monies for some cheesy 3D slapped on a 2D platformer.
IP Logged

(Read 5844 times) [1]
Jump to: