stealth

You are here: The Pantheon / Seven Heavens / Elysium - Gaming / Topic: Stealth

Gon is really angry
 right now.

ThreadTools

Print

ForumStats

11026 Posts, 541 Topics, 767 Members, Latest Member: metalmight

This forum is Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2005, Simple Machines integrated by Datschge basing on Simplicity by Bloc
 (Read 3746 times) [1]

Stealth
« on: October 08, 2007, 09:32:34 AM » by Shadow The Ace Hunter
The other day I came across with a neat, original Vietnam-themed game for the SNES: Stealth.

It's basically a turn-based squad strategy game. You name the main character, and each of your teammates is good at something in particular, so teamwork is essential. You've got a sniper, a heavy weapons guy and (apparently) a radio man who can call for artillery barrages or airstrikes. There are more soldiers, but I couldn't tell what was their specialty. The game's in Japanese, so I didn't get too far.

What's original about this little gem is the matter with ambushes. You can have you men walking along the road and suddenly someone opens fire from the thick jungle vegetation! Naturally, this reveals the shooter's position, but the damage's already done (I don't think anyone can miss if they know what they're shooting at). I think that if you lose a guy, you lose him forever. If the main character dies, it's game over.

It's a real shame it's in Japanese. I don't have any experience in translation, so I read a few tutorials on hex editing and such. Still, even having a (somewhat) Japanese-speaking friend, just getting to the text is far more difficult than it seems.

Anyway, I'm not requesting anything. Just wanted to let people know about this game as it's largely unknown to most, and has a lot of potential, in my humble opinion.

Here's a link to a gameplay video, in case you want to see it in action (or can't find the game):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u4GAB69D7V8
IP Logged

Re: Stealth
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2007, 04:28:02 PM » by lampshade
HOLY SHIT THE MUSIC IS EPIC

(God forsake fecal matter, thee orchestra is of upbeat passion.)
IP Logged

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2007, 05:55:48 PM » by Dais
whoa, never thought I'd see someone link to one of my videos on Youtube, especially given how boring and clumsy they usually turn out.

I hammered away at Stealth for an hour or two, but the more I played, the more I realizedsomething important: I simply wasn't suited to play this game. Part of it was the sheer number of hidden enemy units - it might be accurate to the scenario/setting, but it's still frustrating to try and find the balance between moving towards goals and checking for snipers. And part of it was just that I don't get a lot of enjoyment out of games like this (especially when they're in Japanese).
IP Logged

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2007, 09:13:19 AM » by Shadow The Ace Hunter
Being in Japanese, you miss lots of important information. I only vaguely knew what a third of my team could do. The dialogue with the farmers could be useful, but there's no way to know.
IP Logged

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2009, 12:59:43 PM » by Shadow The Ace Hunter
Two years later...

I've been looking into Stealth myself lately, posting my progress at RHDN, in this thread. Translating the unit menus was easy, but the dialogue itself is proving far more complicated, as it switches between Hiragana and Katakana, and uses annoying control codes (Which sort-of act like the Shift key in JWPce, the Japanese word processor I use) for it, calling a different table instead of sticking with one.

Even though I seem to have found a good deal of dialogue text and my tables can correctly interpret it, I can't begin translating them since:

A) I haven't figured out what some hex values mean (they're probably format-related control codes). They appear mostly within Katakana clauses, so I can't just ignore them as I could potentially screw everything up.
B) I don't have a translator. I can often translate isolated terms using a dictionary, but dialogues are a whole other beast.

You can find more info about my pseudo-project in the thread I linked to earlier.
IP Logged

(Read 3746 times) [1]
Jump to: