lunar: walking school translation?

You are here: The Pantheon / Seven Heavens / Aaru - Romhacking & Translation / Topic: Lunar: Walking School Translation?

Gon is really angry
 right now.

ThreadTools

Print

ForumStats

11025 Posts, 541 Topics, 767 Members, Latest Member: metalmight

This forum is Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2005, Simple Machines integrated by Datschge basing on Simplicity by Bloc
 (Read 5232 times) [1]

Lunar: Walking School Translation?
« on: August 21, 2012, 12:19:08 PM » by mooglemagemog
Hello, I just now registered for this site because I heard about a translation of Lunar: Walking School.  I'm a huge Lunar fan and have been dying to play for years, so I'm extremely excited to hear this.  The only thing is, I have no idea what is meant by "translation".  I have an actual Game Gear, so is this translation something I would open on my computer to read along with the Japanese game?  I'm thinking that's probably not the case.
Now, when I registered, I was notified not to "request ROMS".   But can I ask, is this something that might be played on one's computer?
I know I sound ridiculously stupid/uninformed, but I'm hoping someone can explain, because it would really mean a lot to me to play this game.  Thank you!
IP Logged

Re: Lunar: Walking School Translation?
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2012, 07:54:22 PM » by Atrushan
You play it on your computer through a program called an emulator, although with a Game Gear flash cart you could feasibly play it on a real GG (I suppose? Do GG flash carts exist? I've never looked).

Anyway, to play it on your computer, first you must download a rom of the game in question (Walking School, in this case), then download AND UNZIP the patch using WinZip or WinRAR, and then apply the patch to the rom by using a program called LunarIPS. When that's all done, open up your Game Gear emulator, load the rom and then voila, all the rom's text is in English instead of Japanese. It's that simple.

Keep in mind though, there's debate over whether emulators and roms are legal to own or not.

Massu´╗┐ ain't ded!
IP Logged

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2012, 02:16:27 AM » by JayBee That's how I roll.
There's no debate about the legality, just the ethics.
Emulators are 100% legal, ROM images are legal IF you dump them yourself from cartridges you actually own. 

But no one cares because most of these games are twenty years out of print.

APPRIVOISE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
IP Logged

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2012, 06:51:59 PM » by mooglemagemog
You don't know how grateful I am for you helping me out on this!  Thank you for taking the time to explain.   I know it's just a game, but it's kind of like a fulfilled dream that there's actually an English translation--- the game's so old, I thought I'd never get to play it.  I even started learning Japanese so I could just play the import, no joke :)   
I really appreciate it!
IP Logged

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2012, 10:37:15 AM » by Atrushan
You're welcome. Actually, wasn't there a LWS remake some time ago? Or am I just misremembering things?
***Google don't fail me now!***
Oh, there was one for the Sega Saturn. I imagine texthacking CD games is quite a heavy chore though.

Massu´╗┐ ain't ded!
IP Logged

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2012, 12:49:30 AM » by JayBee That's how I roll.
Oh, there was one for the Sega Saturn. I imagine texthacking CD games is quite a heavy chore though.
Also, it was probably a blasphemous mockery of Althena's holy word.

Game Arts is good at that, and I'm reasonably sure Studio Alex had no hand in any of the remakes, given they sued Game Arts(who countersued and bankrupted them. The bigger pockets always win.).

APPRIVOISE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
IP Logged

« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2012, 07:44:14 PM » by Gideon Zhi Devil Summoner
I should note that if someone were to obtain a gamegear flash card and writer (such things do exist!) it's very possible that our LUNAR patch will not work on the original hardware. We normally strive for compatibility, so this is unusual, but the sheer amount of text work that was done to the game necessitated expansion from 4mbit to 8mbit (512K to 1MB). To my knowledge 4mbit is the ceiling for officially released gamegear games; whether the actual hardware is capable of addressing games larger than 4mbit is up to question. The LUNAR patch works on emulators though, so, who knows!

IP Logged

« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2012, 02:29:29 PM » by KingMike
I heard there were a couple 8mbit commercially released games.
Garfield: Caught in the Act, Virtua Fighter Mini, Sonic Blast
IP Logged

(Read 5232 times) [1]
Jump to: