illusioncity

You are here: The Pantheon / Seven Heavens / Aaru - Romhacking & Translation / Topic: IllusionCity

Gon is really angry
 right now.

ThreadTools

Print

ForumStats

11027 Posts, 542 Topics, 770 Members, Latest Member: Drdarylmorgan34

This forum is Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2005, Simple Machines integrated by Datschge basing on Simplicity by Bloc
 (Read 8526 times) [1]

IllusionCity
« on: October 30, 2012, 10:23:20 PM » by Stefan
In the thread "What games would you like to see get translated?" I mentioned I'd like to see Illusion City for the MSX Turbo R be translated, as well as other Cabin Games.

As it stands now, there is an unfinished translation patch - http://www.romhacking.net/translations/856/ - and supposedly the translation isn't done well at all in the first place.

So I wanted to know if anyone knows if somebody is working on a translation for this game, or if anyone is trying to finish the one already out there? Or better yet, has there ever been any talk or interest in making this game an Aeon Genesis project, or is it a game that you don't see as one you want to work on? This isn't a translation request, but a request for information on where this game stands in terms of a translation.
IP Logged

Re: IllusionCity
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2012, 12:42:22 AM » by JayBee That's how I roll.
I thought MIJET had done that one, but it appears I'm crazy.
Probably got it mixed up with Undeadline... somehow.

Out of curiosity, is there a reason you want the MSX version of Illusion City specifically? Because I'd wager the SegaCD version is the one most likely to garner any future attention.

APPRIVOISE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
IP Logged

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2012, 08:59:40 AM » by Stefan
You are right about Sega CD/Mega CD version, that is the one I meant. And for why I really want to see a translation and play this game, look at this review detailing the game:  http://www.mobygames.com/game/sega-cd/illusion-city-genei-toshi/reviews/reviewerId,6226/

The graphics/art style, music, the RPG and exploration mechanics, and the story and setting feel like if Shin Megami Tensei and Snatcher had a child this would be the result. It looks aesthetically awesome, the music sounds pretty darn good, and the story, urban setting and themes of the game are a breath of fresh air.

From what I can gather, especially from that review - which is the review of the Sega CD version - it was considered one of the best Japanese RPGs of its time and it was strange that it and other Micro Cabin games didn't come over stateside with a localization.
IP Logged

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2012, 08:02:12 PM » by Stefan
Gideon, do you or anyone else know of someone currently working on a translation for this game, or somebody who is planning to work on one?

Anyone else here have comments about the game? What's your opinion on it? What do you think of how it looks in the gameplay department, or where the graphics and art style are concerned? What about the music which I think is pretty good? And last but not least, what about the story and setting?

Anyone else excited about the prospect of playing this game? Try looking up screenshots and videos of the Sega CD/Mega CD version of the game. Or even try getting the bad translation for the game to test the game out and let me know what you think. Out of all the RPGs during and before the SNES and Genesis generation, this is the one I'm the most excited about playing.

What about all of you here? Think it looks cool?
IP Logged

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2012, 02:01:13 AM » by JayBee That's how I roll.
I know the music from streaming chiptune stations. It's pretty sweet.
That's the extent of my knowledge, really.
I find it interesting, mostly because JPC gaming is a big question mark for me. It has that air of "newness" I felt when I first started getting into gaming history and there was all this shit I'd never heard of before. Combine that with the fact there's a LOT of JPC games that have no western release or equivalent, and there's very little english language material about any of it, and JPCs become a VERY interesting section of the video game world, just because I know so little about it.

APPRIVOISE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
IP Logged

« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2012, 02:59:03 PM » by Stefan
I love the chiptune genre and the concept behind chiptune stations. I remember listening to Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon converted to chiptune and actually thinking it was still really good.

Also, what do you mean by JPC gaming? Is that short for Japanese Personal Computer gaming? Because if that is the case, I know the game was only released on the MSX Turbo and the Sega CD, which made me wonder, if I'm understanding you correctly, is the MSX considered a computer gaming device or a console?
IP Logged

« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2012, 03:45:07 AM » by JayBee That's how I roll.
Yes, Japanese personal computer.
The MSX series is TOTALLY a computer family. There's no question about it, any more than there is as to whether the Commodore 64 is a computer or a game console.

Though there's also a third version of Illusion City for the PC-98 family. Unless Moby Games is lying to me.

APPRIVOISE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
IP Logged

« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2012, 05:01:42 AM » by Stefan
Thanks for clearing that up. You are probably right about another version, but as far as I'm concerned, if a translation ever comes out it should be for the Sega CD version, since it is supposed to be much better than the others, the definitive version of the game.
IP Logged

« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2012, 05:06:14 AM » by JayBee That's how I roll.
That's a good reason to want that one.

And I could play it on real hardware that way!

APPRIVOISE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
IP Logged

« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2012, 11:57:01 AM » by Stefan
Yeah, that always helps.
IP Logged

(Read 8526 times) [1]
Jump to: