having some trouble with the main website

You are here: The Pantheon / Seven Heavens / Asgard - Technical Help / Topic: Having some trouble with the main website

Gon is really angry
 right now.

ThreadTools

Print

ForumStats

10987 Posts, 530 Topics, 743 Members, Latest Member: brbrafns01

This forum is Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2005, Simple Machines integrated by Datschge basing on Simplicity by Bloc
 (Read 7376 times) [1]

Having some trouble with the main website
« on: October 18, 2007, 10:02:27 AM » by Frumple
« Last Edit: October 18, 2007, 10:06:04 AM by Frumple »
Just someone random wandering around, and I'm not sure if this should go here or somewhere else, but... I can't access the baseline agtp-romhack-net address.  I can go pretty much anywhere else on the site, including the old news stuff and projects, but attempting to open up the front-page part just kinda' hangs there and laughs at me... is this happening to anyone else, or is it just me?

Edit: Oh... and this has been happening to me since sometime yesterday-ish, maybe the day before.
IP Logged

Re: Having some trouble with the main website
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2007, 02:04:09 PM » by Datschge Sakuraba Fan
Works fine here. Might have been a temporary server hiccup.
IP Logged

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2007, 04:51:41 PM » by Frumple
Well, I figured out what's causing it -- it is, apparently, my browser.  Seems something in the newest Opera version disagrees with the front page, as IE opened it fine and, now that I think about it, it started doing whatever it's doing as soon as I upgraded.  Why, I dunno, and switching browsers isn't something I plan on doing -- both IE and Firefox habitually crash with extended use on this comp.  Oh well...

Still, thanks for the response, it did clue me in to what might have been happening.
IP Logged

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2007, 06:10:42 PM » by Datschge Sakuraba Fan
Seems something in the newest Opera version disagrees with the front page
Just tried it with Opera, works fine there as well... Be sure that you force a reload since Opera otherwise keeps reusing the cached page which may be still there from the server hiccup.
IP Logged

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2007, 06:21:11 PM » by JayBee That's how I roll.
Well, I figured out what's causing it -- it is, apparently, my browser.  Seems something in the newest Opera version disagrees with the front page, as IE opened it fine and, now that I think about it, it started doing whatever it's doing as soon as I upgraded.  Why, I dunno, and switching browsers isn't something I plan on doing -- both IE and Firefox habitually crash with extended use on this comp.  Oh well...

Still, thanks for the response, it did clue me in to what might have been happening.
You tried Seamonkey?
It's the stable, mature, feature-rich  version of Firefox.
Well, more accurately, Firefox is the glitchy, dumbed-down version of Seamonkey.

http://www.mozilla.org/projects/seamonkey/

APPRIVOISE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
IP Logged

« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2007, 06:43:27 PM » by Frumple
« Last Edit: October 18, 2007, 06:50:19 PM by Frumple »
Just tried it with Opera, works fine there as well... Be sure that you force a reload since Opera otherwise keeps reusing the cached page which may be still there from the server hiccup.

Refreshed, cache cleaned, private data deleted both via menu and manually... and still no-go.  My comp' acts fairly wonky pretty often, so it's as likely the way things are set-up/plain-ol'-glitches/Will-Of-The-Tech-Gods/whatever as the browser itself... or some combination of all of the above.  Now that I know how to work around it, it's no big deal in any case.

You tried Seamonkey?

I hadn't even heard of it 'till now, but I'm fairly comfortable with Opera right now and don't particularly plan on switching.  That being said, I'll bookmark the link and remember for when Opera becomes non-functional, like IE and Firefox did, heh.  Using a laptop that hasn't had functional fans for 2+ years makes software switching fairly common, so thanks for the tip.
IP Logged

« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2007, 06:57:48 PM » by JayBee That's how I roll.
You tried Seamonkey?

I hadn't even heard of it 'till now, but I'm fairly comfortable with Opera right now and don't particularly plan on switching.  That being said, I'll bookmark the link and remember for when Opera becomes non-functional, like IE and Firefox did, heh.  Using a laptop that hasn't had functional fans for 2+ years makes software switching fairly common, so thanks for the tip.
Well, Seamonkey is recently renamed.
It USED to just be Mozilla. Then Firefox took over, Mozilla(the group) killed Mozilla(the software app), and the users resurrected it as Seamonkey in a rare example of open-source working as advertised*.

I do admit to being biased.
I HATE Firefox. IMO, it gets worse with every revision, as far as the UI is concerned. And since they don't seem to care about the stability issues(adding crash recovery is NOT a fix)... why switch?

I've been a Mozilla user since before Firefox/Firebird/Phoenix existed, the scaled-back versions lack features I actually use, rearrange others into non-standard counter-intuitive versions, AND aren't as stable? Count me out.

*There's a common claim that software can't "die" because anyone can continue updating it, but it almost never happens after the original programmer leaves.

APPRIVOISE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
IP Logged

« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2007, 07:11:27 PM » by Datschge Sakuraba Fan
There's a common claim that software can't "die" because anyone can continue updating it, but it almost never happens after the original programmer leaves.
Actually I think the last "original programmers" of Mozilla are what keep Seamonkey alive. It's just the Mozilla Foundation which thought it's a good idea to drop Mozilla support Firefox (by other programmers, a whole two of them who weren't even that cooperative in the beginning) instead. For me Mozilla Foundation is Netscape's corporate thinking perpetuated behind a semi-open source facade. I'm still waiting for the app independent Gecko runtime (which should be used by Seamonkey, Firefox, Thunderbird etc. instead it being hardcoded in each app again and again) they promised from the very start.
IP Logged

(Read 7376 times) [1]
Jump to: