recommendation time.

You are here: The Pantheon / Seven Heavens / Elysium - Gaming / Topic: Recommendation time.

Gon is really angry
 right now.

ThreadTools

Print

ForumStats

11027 Posts, 542 Topics, 770 Members, Latest Member: Drdarylmorgan34

This forum is Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2005, Simple Machines integrated by Datschge basing on Simplicity by Bloc
 (Read 12964 times) [1] 2 3

Recommendation time.
« on: October 29, 2007, 12:41:41 PM » by Derek The Blue Wings of Kyonoshi
Okay, gang. I'm hitting that really bad level of bored again, so it's time for a rousing game of "Recommend some games that are worth playing." Here are the rules.

1:The systems we're playing with today are: NES, GB/GBC, SNES, Genesis, GG, and Sega CD. Please keep it within those boundries, as I don't have, nor do I intend on getting, any other emulators.

2:Assume that if it's an AGTP title or something fairly big ticket(FF, CT, Lunar, that sort of thing), I've played it. Please. I'm pretty sure we've all asked this question before and gotten a million "LOLZ U SHUD PLAY FINAL FANTAZY" answers. I like to think you guys are better than that.

Other than that, just throw out whatever comes to mind. And, if it's something REALLY hard to find, a hint or two in the right direction is always appreciated. Thanks, guys.

dragonmasterjb0: Apparently, in the new series, Lina is arrested at one point on charges of being Lina Inverse.

The rest of the party, in typical Slayers fashion, gives a reaction to the effect of "Sounds reasonable."
IP Logged

Re: Recommendation time.
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2007, 01:22:05 PM » by Gideon Zhi Devil Summoner
Jurassic Park for Sega CD. Really. It's neat, very well done, and totally not what you'd expect. Just note that if it claims to be missing a CD, it means a CD that you find in-game, not an actual disc.

Crystalis for NES. Pure gold.

Blaster Master for the NES. Likewise.

Axelay on the SNES, if you like shmups.

IP Logged

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2007, 01:36:38 PM » by JayBee That's how I roll.
Second Crystalis and Blaster Master.
Add Metal Storm for the holy trinity of NES gaming.

APPRIVOISE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
IP Logged

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2007, 02:30:42 PM » by Ian Kelley
OK, here's my recommendations:

NES:
Dragon Slayer 4/Legacy of the Wizard: Because Falcom rocks.
Top Secret/Bionic Commando: Nifty control mechanics, and seeing Hitler's head explode is classic. On the plus side the Japanese version is not censored and has swastikas and the down side is...well, it's in Japanese.
Willow: Most underrated NES Action/RPG ever.
Eggerland/Adventures of Lolo: All of them. Play both the US and Japanese versions of each game; each one gets different puzzles.

GB/GBC:
Never had many of these but Mole Mania is a really nifty puzzle game in the vein of Lolo.

SNES:
Fire Fighting: Interesting little top-down action game.
Inindo Way of the Ninja: Vastly underrated RPG, probably because of its crappy graphics and slow text. The PC-98 version is better but it's in Japanese, sadly.
Lemmings: I always loved this game.

Genesis:
Shadowrun: Awesome RPG, though it can get a wee repetitive.
Gauntlet 4: Gauntlet with RPG elements, I always liked it.

GG/Sega CD:
Don't know squat about these myself.
IP Logged

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2007, 04:36:25 PM » by SilvrDragn23112 Dragoon of the Bahamut Order
Hey, there. Here are my recommendations...

NES:
Blaster Master and Crystalis are absolutely wonderful games.
Dragon Spirit: A vertically scrolling shoot-'em-up where you play a dragon. VERY HARD game. I've beaten it, but it takes a lot of skill and patience.
Air Fortress: All I've got to say... is I've never, ever, EVER seen a person beat this game without codes. It's insane. Great game... if you're a masochist.
Ninja Gaiden 1-3: I dunno if you'd consider these mainstream, since there have been more recent titles of this series, but they really aren't the same thing, IMHO.
Bump and Jump: If you're bored and needing to kill about 5 minutes, this is good for that.
Star Tropics 1&2: Awesome RPG with action elements. Your starting weapon is a Yo-Yo. Great stuff.

GB/GBC:
FF: Legends 1-3: These aren't mainstream, but they are moderately well known. Pretty good, but I dunno if you've played 'em or not... so please don't yell at me if you have.

SNES:
Bahamut Lagoon: This is a pretty commonly seen game, due to its translation. I dunno if you've played it or not, but if you haven't... check it out. SRPG with dragons. Fun stuff.
Super Earth Defense Force: A great horizontally scrolling shoot-'em-up. Hard, and fun. I can't beat the last boss, though... (try dodging about 25 freaking eyeballs that pop up in random places on screen and then having them home in on you!)
Tales of Phantasia: Another common game, but also a great one. I'd be surprised if you haven't played it...

Genesis: Sadly, I didn't have many Genesis games. I had 3. Phantasy Star IV, Sonic the Hedgehog, and something else... Oh, well... sorry I can't help you there.

GG/Sega CD: I never owned either of these. Sorry I'm not a help here.
IP Logged

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2007, 04:53:14 PM » by Derek The Blue Wings of Kyonoshi
So far, you guys totally rock, even if I've already played/beaten most of these games. I appreciate it. Keep em' coming!

And for the record, I love Super E.D.F. Awesome music.

dragonmasterjb0: Apparently, in the new series, Lina is arrested at one point on charges of being Lina Inverse.

The rest of the party, in typical Slayers fashion, gives a reaction to the effect of "Sounds reasonable."
IP Logged

« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2007, 05:04:10 PM » by Nimdok
SEGA

The Ooze; amorphos doctor out for revenge. I liked it, doesn't mean you will

Weaponlord; one of the, if not the, best weapon-based fighting games ever concieved. Use six-button emulation, or a six-button controller if you've got one

Strike Series (Desert, Urban, Jungle); fun and difficult helecopter arcade/sim

The Humans; like Lemmings, but you control each character independantly (Think Lost Vikings with more than three guys)

Techno Clash; Again, I liked it. Wizard stuck in sci-fi Vegas

SEGA CD

Dungeon Explorer; Like the classic Gauntlet, but with experience and upgradeable equipment

Eternal Champions; probably the best fighting game I've ever played; antithesis of button-mashing

Panic!; press a button, see what happens. Funny as Hell.

Popful Mail; side-scrolling action/RPG with a decent sense of humor

Snatcher; I think the Sega CD version is the best, especially since it's the LEAST censored of the lot
IP Logged

« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2007, 05:20:06 PM » by jolly_old_saint
« Last Edit: October 29, 2007, 05:24:18 PM by jolly_old_saint »
I can shoot a few SNES titles~

E.V.O. - Search for Eden
The Tick (Good luck getting far, but it's worth checking out)
Illusion of Gaia
Super Ninja Boy (Haven't played this in a dog's age, but I THINK it was cool)
Widget
Claymates
Out of This World
Donald Duck - Maui Mallard (Screw what other people say, the game's fun!)

At the end of things, just-faiz the means.
http://www.youtube.com/user/jollytheoldsaint
IP Logged

« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2007, 08:11:07 PM » by Word on the Wind Fanservice with a vengence!
NES: Can't think of any notable that haven't already been mentioned (I'm amazed someone beat me to StarTropics 1/2 as well as Legacy of the Wizard) Abouts all I can think of are Arkista's Ring for some top-down action and severely punishin' "Later" levels. (Ye have to finish it four times, each harder then last to win and the Ninja at the later levels are complete bitches)

GB/C: Yeah, I got nothin'. Wasn't ever really my platform.

SNES: Please tell me ye've played at least Romancin' SaGa 3. >_>The SaGa series is about the only series I can think of that's maintained it's difficulty over the years. 

For a cheap laugh, ye might try the Cho Aniki fighter on there. (Am I the only one whom's not at all disturbed by that game?)

Super Punch out, though I think I'm the only one whom never played it until recently.

Plok is nice and hard, yet reasonabley fair.  Need to play on "Normal" in order to actually win.

R-Type III is a dandy Shmup, pretty good music, easy if ye dundie, ****in' brutal if ye do.

Megadrive: Pulseman, because I just find it awesome.

Castlevania: Bloodlines

Sega CD: Silpheed, Soul Star...  I know I missin' some other good ones...

GameGear: Again, Portables from that Era were not my thing.

I KNOW I've forgotten stuffs, so I'll probably have more at another time.

I miss my signature.
IP Logged

« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2007, 08:36:06 PM » by TCM Chrono, by another name.
Shining Force CD is pretty good, for the Sega CD. Not as good as any FE game, or any SRT game, but hey, what is?

Signatures? We're in the lap of luxury now!
IP Logged

« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2007, 10:45:26 PM » by Dsvaun
SNES

Terranigma- A very good RPG by Enix.  Gets even better halfway when you actually get to help build entire cities.

Star Ocean-A good game that is horribly marred by bugs that make it unplayable at times.

I also heard theres a retranslation of Chrono Trigger available now.
IP Logged

« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2007, 11:57:42 PM » by JayBee That's how I roll.
Ninja Gaiden 1-3: I dunno if you'd consider these mainstream, since there have been more recent titles of this series, but they really aren't the same thing, IMHO.
I can't imagine that anyone who would play NES gamers hasn't already played these.

Sorta reminds me of the time I saw Contra show up in someone's "underrated games" list. No offense.

Zanac on the NES.
A vertical shooter by Compile(who you're fixing to see a lot of, owing to me pimping them like a 2-dollar whore).
Features adaptive difficulty, which is STILL a pretty uncommon feature. As Sega would say over a decade later, it's thinking.

MUSHA and Robo Aleste on the Genesis and SegaCD respectively.
Vertical shooters with mechs. Done by Compile.

Space Megaforce for the SNES.
Compile. Vertical shooter. Lather, rinse, repeat.

And...
*drumroll*
The Guardian Legend!
NES.
Compile.
NOT a vertical shooter!
Well, not ENTIRELY a vertical shooter.

It's a sci-fi  action-adventure, only with vertical shooter stages instead of caves.  Zelda or Crystalis fans will feel right at home after the intro stage ends.

If you take this one, and I HIGHLY recommend you do(over.... pretty much anything else on the thread. I've got no idea why it wasn't the first game I thought of), turn off the 8-sprite-per-line limit in your emulator. Leaving it on, while more authentic, makes some of the later bosses impossible to see for all the bullets.

APPRIVOISE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
IP Logged

« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2007, 07:07:12 AM » by Derek The Blue Wings of Kyonoshi
In case I have not said it enough, you guys are made of Awesome and Hell Yeah. Any more?

IP Logged

« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2007, 01:31:02 PM » by jolly_old_saint
Gargoyles for Genesis. About as awesome as platformers get.

At the end of things, just-faiz the means.
http://www.youtube.com/user/jollytheoldsaint
IP Logged

« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2007, 08:15:27 AM » by Ian Kelley
Gargoyles for Genesis. About as awesome as platformers get.

Speaking of Gargoyles, the Gargoyle's Quest games for GB, NES, and SNES are all really good. The best is probably Demon's Blazon for the SNES.
IP Logged

(Read 12964 times) [1] 2 3
Jump to: