so let's talk metal max returns...

You are here: The Pantheon / Seven Heavens / Elysium - Gaming / Topic: So let's talk Metal Max Returns...

Gon is really angry
 right now.

ThreadTools

Print

ForumStats

11021 Posts, 539 Topics, 763 Members, Latest Member: ioev

This forum is Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2005, Simple Machines integrated by Datschge basing on Simplicity by Bloc
 (Read 62532 times) [1] 2 3 ... 11

So let's talk Metal Max Returns...
« on: November 06, 2007, 05:44:08 PM » by Liana Lens Comrade
Hi. :) I'm the translator for this game. I love it, unsurprisingly, I must have played it five times through and just started a new game today... and it's still not gotten old! So... if you want to talk tanks, here's the place. I'm more than happy to answer any questions about the game or the translation.

What I want is... there's, somewhere in the game, a few lines from the hunter's dad accepting money from him. I've never been able to trigger this. If someone else does, can you please please please send me a screenshot? ;)

‥‥おしても いいんだぜ! なつかしい ドラムかんをよ!
IP Logged

Re: So let's talk Metal Max Returns...
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2007, 08:23:52 PM » by Tristan Kain
First off, good work on the translation

Now, since GameFaqs is absolutely useless for this game, my question for the expert is: Is there a way to tell when the Bounty of the Week is going to change / expire?  I've missed out on a fair amount of coin due to that spinning on me without warning, and I -really- don't want to miss out on the early-game 90G per Trader Hunter that's going right now.  Using the Dog System after every kill feels ... weird.
IP Logged

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2007, 08:58:42 PM » by Liana Lens Comrade
You know, I just looked this up yesterday, and I wish I had done it much sooner...

The bounty of the week is tied to the Hunter's level. So whenever he goes up a level, if your group has killed at least one of the bounty targets, it changes. (That's why it's so horrible at the beginning, and I never figured out the trick to it on my own because I gave up on it!) So in practice, you want to start a new bounty right after the hunter's level up and cash out right before the next one. I guess you could kill him off and hunt with the teammates if you got a really rich bounty and wanted to keep it as long as you could, but I don't think I'd have the heart to.

Next question, then, is how you check your experience level from the BS-Controller... Have you found that yet? I suspect a lot of people will miss it, along with some of the other computer programs. If you haven't gotten it yet, you go back to the computer in your house that tells your experience and hit the "Load" button.

IP Logged

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2007, 09:34:49 PM » by jolly_old_saint
« Last Edit: November 07, 2007, 09:37:41 PM by jolly_old_saint »
Hmm...I get the feeling this game would be a lot funner if it wasn't so needlessly tied to getting into random battles....or if I had free time and gave a rat's arse about upgrading tanks.

Well, it's a nice translation, anyway...

At the end of things, just-faiz the means.
http://www.youtube.com/user/jollytheoldsaint
IP Logged

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2007, 09:57:24 PM » by Liana Lens Comrade
Haha, if you're not much on random battles... well...  You can buy something for your tank that helps cut them down, but that's not until much later. Although, there aren't any penalties for running away from battles at least... Incidentally, the difficulty level from the original version was really taken down for the remake. I loaded up the NES version and played it a bit, and you could have knocked me over with a feather when the Wandering Polytank actually killed me. ;)

And yeah, tank back-and-forth can be tedious, it's somewhat like having double the party members to outfit, plus it's a pain to retire them. In theory you can customize them to have different specialties, etc., but honestly I just buy them all the most expensive stuff, upgrade the hell out of it and roll right over everything :)

IP Logged

« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2007, 12:21:40 AM » by Ianator is Gaius Baltar.
Wow. Knowing about the monster bounties really helps! It's a good thing I already found the EXP meter in town by myself - now I know what it's for!

Who is Gaius Baltar? HE'S THE FRAKKIN' PRESIDENT!
IP Logged

« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2007, 12:38:40 AM » by Tristan Kain
At level-up, okay, good to know.  I take it it's only the "hero"'s levels that count for that, the guy at the counter's ignoring the other guy... I was wondering if there was some sort of "event marker" linked to that since it swapped after I came back from a major sortie, but killing bosses tends to gain levels, easy enough mistake to make.

Level tracker was easy to find - I found it hoping to track down an in-game tutorial!  :)
And as for killing him off - easy. I'll just avoid the inns for a bit - I've got him on foot 'cause I've only got the one tank, and those bounties -hurt- when they hit the unarmored.

I take it there was no manual for you to translate, was there?  I kinda miss the Cyber Knight and SMT patches for that feature.

side note - this thread is already more useful than GameFaqs' only guide; BIG THANK YOU :)
IP Logged

« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2007, 01:21:57 AM » by Frumple
Whee!  Firstly, as with above, excellent work with translation, that it is.  Secondly, well, as with above (again) I'd like to ask a thing or two, out of ye' old curiosity.

First question:  Is there more than 8 tanks?  I ask 'cause, well, I already got eight and it appears there might just be space for three more...

The concept of a triad of super-tanks of doom (Not that my current trio doesn't fit that description pretty well, heh...) appeals to me.

Second question: Umm... well, any hints as to where the 11th (under locales) town, is?  I've found the rest, but...

And another: Is there any way to drive on/over water?  There's a few sunken type buildings laying around, and I wonder if there's not a way to get oneself into them...

Finally: Any hints as to where ye' old super shop of tank part doom is, if there is one?  I found the fellow that sells Kong engines (and promptly upgraded everything, teehee), but the parts list in the BScon seems to hint at another level of weight holding monstrosity above them...

Finally+1: So... weapon choice.  I'm kinda' curious as to what other folks are loading up -- I tend to completely ignore the special weapons, and only load the highest damage cannon (with damage and ammo modded as high as possible, o'course) and highest damage group targeting auxillary weapon(s), which gets the absolute most work out of any weapon I've used thus far. 

My current loadout is pretty cookie cutter:  All my tanks use 205mm cannons (Main) and Buster flutes (Two on the White Mu(u)!) (Aux), and as much hollow charge ammo as they can hold.  With a fully upgraded (I think) Kong engine and defense boosted to around 150, they all manage between 3 and 3.5k HP.

Non-tank work is much... more difficult, though understandably -- you really feel flimsy as all get out without your treaded mankiller.  Weapons on personal-scale combat tend toward whatever does the most damage... with the bazooka girl being the one out -- she uses whichever ALL hitting weapon she can get her hands on (TNT Paranoia right now -- its attack animation is pretty awesome), and still does more damage than her allies with +100 weapon damage on her, heh.  Still, better armor of some sort would be a godsend, as pretty much everything that doesn't feel 'scaled' for personal combat eats my poor fleshies alive... I've had at least one case of a bounty target tearing off 1k(!) hp in one shot, and 6-8 hundred isn't uncommon at all (They've only _got_ around 1k!)

Still, the game's awesome, no doubt at all, so I'll keep on comin' back 'till I finish... assuming Dwarf Fortress or Incursion doesn't lure me away, keheh...
IP Logged

« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2007, 06:39:03 AM » by Liana Lens Comrade
« Last Edit: November 08, 2007, 06:54:12 AM by Liana »
Let's see...
1) Just the 8, I believe, aside from the 14 rental tanks.
2) The path to the 11th location can be found near Eden.
3) I wish, I never found anything that let you fly or swim. I hate having the black spaces on the map covered up...
4) I don't know if it's a cruel joke or what, but that last space belongs to the Cooley engine family, which can be found in the trader camp north of Sol, and is not nearly as good as the Kong or Carmen engines.
5) You're going to love the laser bazooka ;)

I think I'd better translate some of the weapons lists... I get a ton of data from http://metalmaniax.com/index.php?MMR , for anyone who can poke through a little Japanese.

And yeah, I haven't found a manual for it online, although I'd be happy to translate it if one ever showed up.

IP Logged

« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2007, 07:56:06 AM » by Shadow The Ace Hunter
« Last Edit: November 08, 2007, 08:04:34 AM by Shadow »
Outstanding translation! The SNES RPG scene mostly forgot about the post-apocalyptic genre (hell, how many science fiction RPGs can you find on the SNES?), so this is awesome!

I've some questions:

1) How can I use the transfer system in Leorad? There's that annoying old man blocking the door and I can't move him from there.

2) Is there any way of knowing what each item does? Some are quite self-explanatory, but others aren't (I didn't know what the Dog System did till I used it).

3) I've some items that I can't sell nor know what they're supposed to do: Ant Nectar, Wobbly Seed and Ant Intestine. What are they?

4) How the HELL do I get rid of acid on my tanks?! I found the Neutralizer Cream takes care of acid on people, but I can't seem to find a way to use it on tanks.
IP Logged

« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2007, 08:14:44 AM » by Liana Lens Comrade
1) If you go to another town and use the TransferTron there, you can transfer back to Leorad. There's a catch, but I don't want to give everything away.. ;)
2) Check out the BS-Con: there's an items section that has a short description of everything. For some important items, too, people will tell you about them (there's a guy in the Pobre Obre bar who tells you about the Dog System), but usually the BS-Con is best.
3) Sell them to a bartender.
4) Alkali Wax short-term, and there's an Alkali Coat you can use as well to make them more resistant. Also, the Alkali Spray is a multiple-use acid remover for humans. Later on you'll find a car wash, too, and you can run them through that to get rid of acid, crap and mushrooms. (It also washes off any coat you have on, so be careful.)

I hate acid! I must have had a good ten minutes of sheer panic, playing through in Japanese the first time and not knowing why my screen was flashing red. I run away from Acid Ants without shame. (And how glad I am that this game lets you run and die without any punishment...)

IP Logged

« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2007, 08:29:49 AM » by Shadow The Ace Hunter
« Last Edit: November 08, 2007, 09:34:46 AM by Shadow »
Thanks for the answers! :D

MILD SPOILER:

Yeah, the catch is the door's also locked from the other side. You can teleport to Leorad, but can't exit the transfer building. @_@

PS: Ah, nevermind. A certain item fixes that. :D
IP Logged

« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2007, 04:14:38 PM » by JayBee That's how I roll.
Fun game. Nothin' like driving around in your own custom-built rolling death machine.

One big huge extremely glaring issue, though...
2 more characters in the tank names and I could be driving around in Bonaparte. 1 more for Bonapart, which is close enough.

I haven't been this traumatized since I realized there was no way to get "DeLorean" onto Chrono Trigger's time machine.

APPRIVOISE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
IP Logged

« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2007, 09:03:12 PM » by Word on the Wind Fanservice with a vengence!
Urgh...

How much does that jackass in Port Slum want for that tank? Or is it even a matter of price?

I miss my signature.
IP Logged

« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2007, 09:20:09 PM » by Liana Lens Comrade
Hm... I wish this board had a spoiler marking feature....
What I understand is that the seller determines at random what the lowest limit he'll accept is each time you talk to him. The lowest people have got him to go is 12,000, but that's really rare: 40,000 -- 20,000 is more likely.

IP Logged

(Read 62532 times) [1] 2 3 ... 11
Jump to: