major release news ~ ys 5, at long last

You are here: The Pantheon / Seven Heavens / Svarga - Site News / Topic: Major Release News ~ Ys 5, At Long Last

Gon is calm
 right now.

ThreadTools

Print

ForumStats

10945 Posts, 520 Topics, 742 Members, Latest Member: Peyton

This forum is Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2005, Simple Machines integrated by Datschge basing on Simplicity by Bloc
 (Read 18728 times) 1 [2]

Re: Major Release News ~ Ys 5, At Long Last
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2013, 11:04:27 AM » by lamialily
Great work! I've been eager for this release for some time once progress started picking up, and I blasted through it in a couple days. Like Xenovant though, I've found a minor, trivial bug from a hidden game feature that I should probably report as well.

So there's a hidden NPC in Felte that gives you the option to change your hair colour. The dialogue was located and translated just fine, of course.

(with the layer removed to show where Adol and the NPC are in direct correlation to the above)

The problem is that the hidden feature this unlocks in the customisation menu was naturally easy to miss, and is visually scrambled. Still works, though!

As always though, thanks for the release, we love it :D
IP Logged

« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2013, 03:42:16 AM » by JayBee That's how I roll.
That's not a glitch. It's your punishment for trying to change Adol's hair from the holy red.

APPRIVOISE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
IP Logged

« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2013, 04:29:34 AM » by Boom-blaster
« Last Edit: December 14, 2013, 04:32:11 AM by Boom-blaster »
Thanks, man.

I really, really mean that "thanks, man". More than I've ever meant it.

I guess it's not enough of a way to express how cool I think you are for this.

Not just this, of course, but this in particular.

You're the best.

This applies to Jeff, too. Brilliant work, as always. Thanks to everyone else involved in this as well. You've provided a great service to mankind. A few of us, anyway.

In addition, I haven't had this much fun in years. Amazing game.
IP Logged

« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2013, 01:19:37 PM » by Vokkan
This was hugely awaited, so great job!

Sadly the ending is bugged, causing the game to sort of soft reset mid sentence (though the music keeps playing). Possibly an effect of unlocking the hair color-option with it's garbled text?
IP Logged

« Reply #19 on: December 21, 2013, 02:39:55 PM » by Gideon Zhi Devil Summoner
Sadly the ending is bugged, causing the game to sort of soft reset mid sentence (though the music keeps playing).

Are you using zsnes? Don't use zsnes.

IP Logged

« Reply #20 on: December 22, 2013, 12:52:53 PM » by Nejisa
OMG!

After stalking you for at least two years on this project i can continue playing the saga (i stopped in YS 4, i knew you would finish) THAN YOU!
 You made my year, thank you, thank you!

I am a happy woman now!!!
IP Logged

« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2014, 03:21:53 AM » by sylardean
Just want to say thankyou for this release, im a major fan of this game series, and the anime. Im thinking about getting the new releases of the games for the pc to play.
IP Logged

« Reply #22 on: February 11, 2014, 09:08:27 AM » by Tina
« Last Edit: May 26, 2015, 07:29:10 PM by Tina »
While I'm greatly thankful for this quality translation, I must say, I'm really disappointed in the game itself. I was waiting for it to be translated for years and was expecting a masterpiece, what I got is just a very short and generic 90s rpg that's ludicrously easy to boot.

Fighting system is extremely primitive and never evolves - you have just one attack, a forward slash, for the entire game. With the lack of any companions it fast becomes very boring and tedious, since you don't have anything to keep track of. Because of that you're very soon gonna be overinflated with money you have noting to spend on.
Magic system is equally primitive, clumsy and completely useless - every enemy dies from 2/3 sword hits anyway and you can't use magic on bosses. Not that it matters, as bosses are hilariously easy and defeated by just charging at them head on and ignoring their weak attacks.
Introduced jump mechanics is completely pointless as it's implemented about 3 times through the entire game. There are no enemies or strategies that justify it's existence.
Story wise it's the standard collect the crystals that seal *insert here* then fight the last boss scenario that was all the craze in the 90s. I wouldn't be complaining about that, even if it is such an overused premise, but considering how game's contemporaries did it much better and the fact that you're just 1 silent protagonist, the story feels very dry and week. It's unimpressive length doesn't help either.

Maybe I just over-hyped it for myself, but still.
Anyway, I hope this short review will help some folk to decide whether to play it or not.
If anything, it's a very beautiful game, however, in every other aspect it's absolutely unremarkable. Can't recommend it for anyone but genre enthusiasts like myself.
It is very short though, so in any case at least you're not gonna waste much time.
IP Logged

(Read 18728 times) 1 [2]
Jump to: