progress news ~ crowdsourcing srw alpha

You are here: The Pantheon / Seven Heavens / Svarga - Site News / Topic: Progress News ~ Crowdsourcing SRW Alpha

Gon is calm
 right now.

ThreadTools

Print

ForumStats

10942 Posts, 519 Topics, 728 Members, Latest Member: nigel1434

This forum is Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2005, Simple Machines integrated by Datschge basing on Simplicity by Bloc
 (Read 31048 times) [1] 2

Progress News ~ Crowdsourcing SRW Alpha
« on: March 01, 2014, 06:54:30 PM » by Gideon Zhi Devil Summoner
Okay, so, it´s no secret that Super Robot Wars Alpha has a staggeringly huge amount of text. While it only took speed-demon Tyria a year to translate, the text is frankly really messy and wasn´t really suitable for prime-time. As many of you will recall, I started hunting around for an editor shortly thereafter, and settled on Antialias, who I recruited on 4chan´s /m/ board. In the last several years he´s managed to edit about a third of the story dialog text (if we consider duplicate strings to be distinct, anyway) but work has been slow in large part because the script is so dauntingly large.

Some time ago, we decided that it would be a good idea to get multiple workers on the script, but had no real way to manage that. Well, yesterday Antialias set up a Perforce repository on Assembla, and we´re ready to put together a small team. Antialias himself will be handling the vetting process, in large part to to minimize style conflicts. Style conflict is one of the big reasons I didn´t want multiple editors in the first place, but given the size of things, better a little awkwardness in this matter than no translation at all.

So, if you´re interested in editing, send an email to the AEUG Recruiter and it´ll get forwarded to Antialias who´ll send you a test file and, if you pass, will get you set up with the repository and tools.

Sorry it´s taking so long!

IP Logged

Re: Progress News ~ Crowdsourcing SRW Alpha
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2014, 08:12:08 PM » by Elryc35
I like this idea.  If it goes well, speeds things up.  Otherwise, its no huge loss.

Any plans to try this with some other games if this goes well?
IP Logged

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2014, 09:42:46 PM » by Gideon Zhi Devil Summoner
Maybe. We'll see. But there isn't much else on my list where editing is the major roadblock, and there isn't anything else on my list which has a script this huge.

IP Logged

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2014, 01:32:03 PM » by xemnas
This is exciting. I want to help too, but I don't want to know the story before playing this game.
IP Logged

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2014, 06:21:00 PM » by Jukse
Sounds like a great idea! Thanks for all the effort being put in this project.

Oh, and I guess there's no reason to apologize. This is a massive undertaking, after all.
IP Logged

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2014, 09:52:27 PM » by JayBee That's how I roll.
This is exciting. I want to help too, but I don't want to know the story before playing this game.

ALL the aliens attack. The heroes have to kill them dead/show them the error of their ways.
This time with transforming jets and a battleship that can bitchslap people.
</spoilers>

APPRIVOISE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
IP Logged

« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2014, 04:08:47 PM » by jolly_old_saint
Does this take some degree of japanese fluency? Or knowing what a perforce repository on assembla is? 'Cause if so, I am most definitely not your man.

At the end of things, just-faiz the means.
http://www.youtube.com/user/jollytheoldsaint
IP Logged

« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2014, 08:24:05 PM » by JayBee That's how I roll.
Does this take some degree of japanese fluency?
Nope, just engrish.

APPRIVOISE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
IP Logged

« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2014, 05:08:32 PM » by alaras
I applied (and didn't make the cut), but the important things seem to be careful attention to detail (it is BARELY English in its current state) and significant experience with manipulating language (for example, if you're a published author or an editor who's put in a few years with a small press, you might have the BEGINNINGS of what's needed).  Of course, that's just the bare basics of what would be needed to be a good localizer.  I'd still recommend watching the anime and/or reading the manga (DUBBED and/or official translations, if you can find a more recent one by a reputable company that cares about the quality of the language) to make sure you don't lose the original meaning, but occasional Woolseyisms may be necessary depending on how awful a direct translation would read.
IP Logged

« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2014, 12:08:56 AM » by jolly_old_saint
It's a discredit to say "barely English." Almost everything I saw was decipherable. Stiff and literal, sure, but not cave speak. The translation is good, it just needs a lot of polish.

Knowing the details of each series would help, but there are wiki pages for that. Experience with editing would help too, you'd think, but then they brought me on. So ADD and OCD might be more valuable. The latter, anyway.

Tell you what, though. If you thought that script was barely English, you should see the instructions for working perforce. Manuals for manuals, its maddening...

At the end of things, just-faiz the means.
http://www.youtube.com/user/jollytheoldsaint
IP Logged

« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2014, 12:34:49 PM » by alaras
« Last Edit: March 27, 2014, 12:41:48 PM by alaras »
The sample I was given was some of the worst Engrish I've seen in a long time.  Maybe the stuff you're working isn't quite as bad, but this was BAD.  I got disqualified for outright overlooking a line.  To be fair, while I am an editor and author with around six years experience under my belt, I'm used to working with poetry, fiction, personal essays, and memoirs from people who either write or speak English as their first language (in the case of some authors and anthology contributors we've worked with, it's only been one out of two), or have written/spoken in English for years, often decades, before coming to the press I'm affiliated with.  Most of them learned grammar, syntax, and so on, at least to some significant extent (though I do know and work closely with one Greek-American poetess who, while her work is amazing, still seems to write her poetry in English with a Greek syntax).  The sample I saw looked like little to nothing was done with it after a quick run through Google Translate or Babelfish.  It was painful, and in my pain, I screwed up.
IP Logged

« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2014, 08:07:46 AM » by Antialias
Alaras - just thought I should make a small correction. I disqualified you because you just didn't edit the file very much; the line you're referring to was a symptom rather than the cause. While your response was astonishingly fast (fastest I've gotten in 50+ applications), I felt the results didn't improve the text enough.

Perhaps calling this process 'editing' is a misnomer. To really get the text to a high quality requires a lot of original work.
IP Logged

« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2014, 10:28:46 PM » by alaras
« Last Edit: March 30, 2014, 10:24:18 AM by alaras »
I'm also not used to being permitted to insert original text.  Most editors, as a rule, are not supposed to add their own words to the text.  In fact, they're usually only supposed to indicate what needs to be changed and let the author fix it for themselves.  It takes a huge transition (and sometimes a blatant "you should probably consider using your own words where applicable") to make that shift in thinking happen.

You're probably right when you say it's a misnomer to call this an "editing" process.  Editing is far more restrained and restrictive than what you wanted.  I'd consider this more of a "rewriting" process.
IP Logged

« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2014, 01:34:14 PM » by byarlant
Hello,

I would like to know if I can help with the translation of SRW Alpha. I'm a big fan of SRW, currently waiting for my copy of Z3 :)
IP Logged

« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2014, 10:02:03 AM » by alaras
Instructions on who to contact are in the first post.
IP Logged

(Read 31048 times) [1] 2
Jump to: