progress news ~ smt if... - first of three

You are here: The Pantheon / Seven Heavens / Svarga - Site News / Topic: Progress News ~ SMT if... - First of Three

Gon is calm
 right now.

ThreadTools

Print

ForumStats

10942 Posts, 519 Topics, 728 Members, Latest Member: nigel1434

This forum is Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2005, Simple Machines integrated by Datschge basing on Simplicity by Bloc
 (Read 17062 times) [1] 2

Progress News ~ SMT if... - First of Three
« on: October 11, 2014, 08:54:25 PM » by Gideon Zhi Devil Summoner
Hi everyone, I promised updates today, so here they are! This is the first of three: Shin Megami Tensei if...

So I streamed some of the hacking for this a couple of months ago. There hasn´t really been much progress since, though all the remaining hacking is similar to what was done on-stream. That said, there isn´t much left and there´s an anniversary date coming up very, very soon... I´d like to have the game out for then. I´m not promising because we haven´t started playtesting yet and it´s going to be a bit of a push, but right now, that´s the goal.

I´ve added six new screenshots to the end of the game´s slideshow, two of which I´ve attached to this update. They´re things you probably would have seen if you watched the stream or follow me on Twitter, but I´m adding them regardless.

Some folks may remember me remarking how similar the hacking of the game was to SMT2. It is in fact very nearly the exact same engine, but I´ve wanted to make improvements over the SMT2 work. The most notable are the proportional font (which has been in the screenshots since the very beginning) and the expansion of the horizontal space in menus, subscreens, and inventory spaces; where once were two columns now are one, and I´m using the extra space between each row to double up. Gets me a lot more screen real estate.

That´s it for SMT if...; keep your fingers crossed for it.

But now for a bit of somewhat sad related news. I don´t often do this, but today I´m announcing that I´m going to be dropping Megami Tensei 1 and Soul Hackers. I´d originally intended to roll the Megami Tensei 1 work into Kyuyaku Megami Tensei, but The Romhacking Aerie beat me to it; both Megami Tensei 1 and 2 are now playable in their SNES incarnations, and the original Megami Tensei for the NES is, well, not very good regardless. So if you want to play it, go for it! It´s available, just not from here. Soul Hackers is getting dropped because it´s out on the 3DS and there´s not much point. If you want to play it, support Atlus and go buy it.
Screenshot Screenshot

IP Logged

Re: Progress News ~ SMT if... - First of Three
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2014, 10:14:03 AM » by Lucumo
Wohoo, sounds awesome. Thanks for your time and dedication so far (:
IP Logged

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2014, 03:29:02 AM » by Fala
Play test it please. I want to have a enjoyable experience, so I'll wait longer.
IP Logged

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2014, 05:21:14 AM » by JayBee That's how I roll.
Play test it please. I want to have a enjoyable experience, so I'll wait longer.
It would hardly be an authentic MegaTen experience if it weren't glitched to hell and back.

APPRIVOISE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
IP Logged

« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2014, 03:26:08 PM » by Fala
So, what high level demons are exclusive to ...if?
IP Logged

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2015, 09:34:35 PM » by Killmore Insta-death spell level 2.
Drat. I missed the stream (by about 3 months; that'll teach me not to pop in more often). Is it still available to watch?
IP Logged

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2015, 04:22:30 AM » by Gideon Zhi Devil Summoner
Unfortunately, no. There were some changes to the way hitbox records, and I hadn't activated stream archiving (it was on before, but they turned it off by default at some point.)

IP Logged

« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2015, 09:48:42 PM » by Killmore Insta-death spell level 2.
Well drat again, that's unfortunate. Oh well, better luck next time.

Anyways, while this is completely tangential at best, I've been finding it amusing that the Fire Emblem title announced earlier today is being called FE if in Japan. I suppose we're finally getting something out of that Nintendo x Atlus partnership after all. Maybe they'll throw in other things as well like a Chaos x Law route split or demons made out of genitalia. And heck, perhaps by 2025, there might even be a SMT if x FE if game. :v
IP Logged

« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2015, 03:09:02 PM » by Gideon Zhi Devil Summoner
You have an idea when it'll get a release??? The suspense is killing me :(

Someone either didn't read the rules or willfully ignored them.

IP Logged

« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2015, 11:15:44 PM » by Bajan13k
Although very late, I want to say thanks and encourage you to continue with "SMT If..." translation.

The game seems very interesting.

I have enjoyed your work over the years, esp. the SMT 2 for SFC/SNES trans-patch. The included extras... really set the stage... for the game... and remind me of the bronze or "first golden era" of gaming when games had a lot of soul, came with "feelies", and really immersed you in the experience.

Sure, part of this is the design of the megaten franchise and SMT II in particular, but you went the extra mile there and deserve kudos.

Thanks again!
IP Logged

« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2016, 05:48:58 AM » by MicroBean
« Last Edit: January 04, 2017, 01:46:53 AM by JayBee »
Although very late, I want to say thanks and encourage you to continue with "SMT If..." translation.

The game seems very interesting.

I have enjoyed your work over the years, esp. the SMT 2 for SFC/SNES trans-patch. The included extras... really set the stage... for the game... and remind me of the bronze or "first golden era" of gaming when games had a lot of soul, came with "feelies", and really immersed you in the experience.

Sure, part of this is the design of the megaten franchise and SMT II in particular, but you went the extra mile there and deserve kudos.

Thanks again!

Ha ha, I love that.

"Do you ever forget things?"

"I've forgotten the question."

This is me! Thanks for sharing this Gideon Zhi, I'm going to try and play it today.

IP Logged

« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2016, 10:09:19 PM » by Duke Fleed
Really happy to see SMT IF.

Has anyone else been using the 3DS SNES emulator?  I injected a bunch of romhacks into it and it really runs well!

Dark Half was brilliant -- although the save points make the first playthrough exceptionally tricky.  Also hated using Falco.

Next up, Live-A-Live!  Keep up the good work!  Your releases are like Christmas and a bachelor party combined for me.  Thanks for everything!

IP Logged

« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2017, 01:38:44 AM » by KingMike
Kind of an odd choice that Live-a-Live was S-E's second choice to release legitimately on the Japanese N3DS SNES VC. You'd think the Dragon Quests or (especially) the Final Fantasies would be first. Or the Seiken Densetsus.
IP Logged

« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2017, 04:03:04 AM » by JayBee That's how I roll.
Naw, those can be sold as real cartridges, or remakes. Something that will bring in a lot more money.

APPRIVOISE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
IP Logged

« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2017, 07:05:44 AM » by corax
Hello all. i just registered to ask wheter or not this project is cancelled. There isnt any updates so i am curious. And if it has been released and i couldnt find it, can you direct me to the page?

Thanks in advance.
IP Logged

(Read 17062 times) [1] 2
Jump to: