games similar to metal max returns

You are here: The Pantheon / Seven Heavens / Elysium - Gaming / Topic: Games Similar to Metal Max Returns

Gon is really angry
 right now.

ThreadTools

Print

ForumStats

11026 Posts, 541 Topics, 767 Members, Latest Member: metalmight

This forum is Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2005, Simple Machines integrated by Datschge basing on Simplicity by Bloc
 (Read 11896 times) [1] 2

Games Similar to Metal Max Returns
« on: November 21, 2007, 11:31:27 PM » by Zadey
« Last Edit: November 21, 2007, 11:34:02 PM by Zadey »
simply put, does anyone know any other games similar to Metal Max Returns? in the aspect of the whole customizable vehicle type thing

i like games where for lack of better word, tinker with your Vehicle(be it a tank or a robot)

if you could list games that are preferably roms, i dont have much money so i cant really go out and buy metal saga, hehe

oh, and english is good too, i can speak japanese enough to order a meal or ask directions, but for the love of me i cannot read it

oh, and traditional RPG, or Action RPG(im still waiting for a translation group to look at ryu knight) or...whatever you class Zelda as (something where i can sit outside the first town and farm an insane amount of money and blaze thru the game with something i shouldnt have :P)
IP Logged

Re: Games Similar to Metal Max Returns
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2007, 12:10:58 AM » by Word on the Wind Fanservice with a vengence!
I've been thinkin' of tryin' to code out a fan-game usin' a program I have based off of MMR, but it's stilin need of groundwork.

(No, I'm completely inexperienced at code, but hey, may as well at least try, eh?)

I miss my signature.
IP Logged

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2007, 12:26:38 AM » by Sume Gai AGGF Master
well if you like the customization aspect and are a Gundam fan you might want to try MS Saga

It was an alright RPG and it has some cool customization

If you are a man you'll do what's important before you grieve  -Captain Harlock
IP Logged

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2007, 12:49:56 AM » by Ianator is Gaius Baltar.
The only thing that comes to mind, as far as SNES goes, is the first Front Misson. While recently re-released for the DS, you can still find the patch around here somewhere, and probably download the game proper from your favorite ROM site.

It's a strategy-RPG, like FF Tactics or [insert NIS game here] with a splash of Armored Core. You can customize your Wanzer (no, really, it's short for Wanderung Panzer) with different body parts (Body, L/R Arm, Legs, Computer, Backpack) and weapons (L/R hand, L/R shoulder). I highly recommend trying it out for at least the first two or three missions.

I've been meaning to try out MS Saga for a while but haven't had the chance, especially since it didn't get the best reviews (not to mention I've heard the voices... *shudder*).

Who is Gaius Baltar? HE'S THE FRAKKIN' PRESIDENT!
IP Logged

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2007, 04:25:53 AM » by Aquillion
You should try Gearhead.  It is a roguelike, with randomly-generated missions and areas, but it has a 3D graphical version as well.  You can customize your mech in all sorts of ways, adding or removing limbs, grafting new weapons on, adding new movement systems, and so forth.
IP Logged

« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2007, 04:32:47 AM » by Zadey
that gearhead thing looks nifty, ill have to look it up, as for front mission, i have Number4 on the ps2, but im one of those types that once you played one youve played em all, in terms of strategy games like that

MS Saga was good though, theres something satisfiying about have Wing Zero with Burning Gundam vambraces and Beam Scissors and Master Gundam wings...or having heavyarms with the Twin Buster Rifle XD i only wish Epyon was in it, thats my fav

it doesnt really need to be SNES, anything i can download will work, PC games, N64, hell, even psx, so long as they arent really high end, i should be able to run them without issue

IP Logged

« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2007, 01:57:39 PM » by sss
so you don't actually need a story line?

there's that lot of microcabin/koei games.. warship commander or the more fps style console counter part.. warship gunner..

(Kurogane no Houkou)

it can't be called rpg really.. more an arcade thing than anything else.... seems like a spinoff from the warship construction part of P.T.O. 3 (I guess that's the anglicised name)

basically you design and build your warships... upgrade tech.. and complete missions, etc.
IP Logged

« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2007, 10:09:04 PM » by Ianator is Gaius Baltar.
I'm looking forward to what Arle has in mind. "A program based off of MMR"...

Care to enlighten us just a smidge?

IP Logged

« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2007, 11:32:00 PM » by Word on the Wind Fanservice with a vengence!
I'm looking forward to what Arle has in mind. "A program based off of MMR"...

Care to enlighten us just a smidge?

At present, I'm still learnin' how to work the code out, but I think I'm makin' relatively decent progress on that front.

Basically, what I have in mind is essencially an MMR type game in kind of an MMO format. Draft a world (And keep addin' to it) include in and out of vehicle character combat, have the "Weekly" Bounty be randomly generated daily and have the bounty heads actually be be attainable only by a single player.

So what I'm aimin' to do at a basic level is to add a sphere of continual play to the MMR play-style, as well as a sense of competition among the player base without it actually bein' PvP centric.

But, again, I'm still learnin' to use the code, so I wouldn't expect even early Alphas until at LEAST early-mid '08 and that's provided I can keep focused enough to actually work at it. But, I do like to hear that it has at least a sense of interest from others.

For reference, the code I refer to is the code used by BYOND, which would be the program in question.

I miss my signature.
IP Logged

« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2007, 12:23:50 AM » by Ianator is Gaius Baltar.
Sweet. I look forward to the potential AWESOME! that is a Metal Max MMO!

IP Logged

« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2007, 08:26:54 AM » by Liana Lens Comrade
You know, Arle, there were, at one point in 2004, plans for a Metal Max MMORPG created on 2-chan. However, Metal Maniax says, "To the very last, it was a wild fantasy." But you can look at some artifacts...

http://mito.cool.ne.jp/godiusmld/mmo1.jpg
http://mito.cool.ne.jp/godiusmld/mmo2.jpg
http://ww8.tiki.ne.jp/~rhady/mmo.swf
(I don't know whether I should recommend you turn your sound off or on for that one)

‥‥おしても いいんだぜ! なつかしい ドラムかんをよ!
IP Logged

« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2007, 08:31:19 AM » by Word on the Wind Fanservice with a vengence!
« Last Edit: November 24, 2007, 08:37:40 AM by Arle »
Seein' how I'm the only one awake, I'd say down.

Edit: Now that I've seen those, that's lookin' like a touch more then what i intend.

I intend to keep it relatively simple, all things concidered, at least until I've gotten mostly established. We'll see how it goes.

Actually, that brings a thought to mind. Liana, do ye have any links to spritesheets or the like? Characters, tanks, weapons for the characters/tanks, enemies and special effects are basically needed.  >_>

I miss my signature.
IP Logged

« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2007, 08:36:32 AM » by Liana Lens Comrade
Or if you want the English prose to sound at all enchanting, turn the sound down ;)

IP Logged

« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2007, 08:41:46 AM » by Word on the Wind Fanservice with a vengence!
*Draws attention to the edit*

I miss my signature.
IP Logged

« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2007, 08:56:21 AM » by Liana Lens Comrade
Funny you should mention that...
http://www.gamingw.net/forums/index.php?PHPSESSID=dcf03059c8e71913227f7309e1402bbc&topic=66727.new

It looks like it hasn't been done, but there's at least one guy who's interested in doing it. Maybe try getting in touch with him?

IP Logged

(Read 11896 times) [1] 2
Jump to: