srw alpha emulator lockups

You are here: The Pantheon / Seven Heavens / Asgard - Technical Help / Topic: SRW Alpha Emulator Lockups

Gon is calm
 right now.

ThreadTools

Print

ForumStats

10947 Posts, 520 Topics, 759 Members, Latest Member: Wario-Man

This forum is Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2005, Simple Machines integrated by Datschge basing on Simplicity by Bloc
 (Read 22036 times) [1] 2

SRW Alpha Emulator Lockups
« on: November 30, 2007, 09:46:27 AM » by Poster X
I'm not sure if this actually does go here, or even if I should be asking the question, but I'm on my last legs so here goes (This is going to be longwinded, and I sincerely apologize);

I recently downloaded the unaltered Japanese version of SRW Alpha (I've been visiting the site for a little over a year now, and major props to all of you for working so hard on the SRW titles), and I've run into a problem. I've been checking forums for a few days now, and all those who share my problem can't seem to get answers, either. The problem is that there seem to be several "snag points" in the game, where it just locks up. (IE, Chapter 16, during the EVA-01 Launch FMV) For me, it's the intermission directly after the demo mission on the Real Robot route (Fight with Noriko and company). When the explosion occurs in the cargo hold, the dialogue box remains empty and the game no longer progresses. Music continues to play, and the character portrait remains animated.

I thought, perhaps, that since you folks have been working with the game internally you might be able to advise me in some way. Or, another poster may simply have encountered/fixed the problem in the past.

Once again, I apologize for the lengthy question, and even moreso if it doesn't belong here.

Hm? Oh, no. I'm not (insert), I just happen to resemble them.
IP Logged

Re: SRW Alpha Emulator Lockups
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2007, 09:53:15 AM » by Poster X
Upon reading around a bit more, I have realized the technical forum is for patch questions/problems. So, it looks like I made this post in the wrong place, after all.

Although, it seems my previous post was moved/given its own topic despite that, so my thanks to whomever did so.

IP Logged

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2007, 10:37:23 AM » by Poster X
I know they call you crazy when you talk to yourself; but I thought I'd throw in another update.

Since it's locking up on the Real Robot route, I thought I'd try the Super Robot one.

As it turns out, in the Super Robot version of the event that locks up the Real Robot route - the same thing happens. An alarm sounds while you're speaking with Kouji, and thereafter the game halts.

I also have SRW Alpha Gaiden, and aside from a little slowdown during some animations (Getter Beam, for instance, slows things to a crawl despite perfectly fluid animation just before it) I have no experienced any lockups.

Mind you... there hasn't been an explosion or alarm during any of the intermission scenes thus far, so I wonder if the exact same thing will happen.

How appropriate that the sound of alarms and explosions only portends unfortunate tidings for me. *Chuckle*

IP Logged

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2007, 10:50:35 AM » by Sume Gai AGGF Master
what Emu and plug-ins are you using ?

If you are a man you'll do what's important before you grieve  -Captain Harlock
IP Logged

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2007, 12:04:26 PM » by Poster X
Ah, my apologies. I thought I had mentioned it.

I am using pSX, it uses no plugins, and is a fully self-contained virtual PSX console. Now that I've started using fullscreen mode, it runs perfectly. No slowdown at all.

However, the lockup problem remains. I'm not certain about what could be causing it, as I've tried every solution posted in any forum I've read thus far to no avail.

Right now, I'm playing Alpha Gaiden without any trouble. My joke about the alarms and explosions during intermissions didn't bear out, thankfully. It was put to the test on chapter 3 of the game, (Both sound effects interrupted the intermission, plus gunshots, and there was no lockup; story proceeded after the interrupting sounds as normal).

So as far as I can tell; Alpha Gaiden runs flawlessly, yet Alpha does not. It's quite strange. I hope this info helps, and thanks for replying.

IP Logged

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2007, 12:16:16 PM » by Sume Gai AGGF Master
Alpha runs fairly well on epsxe or SSSPSX

I think pretty much any of Pete's GPUs and the eternal SPU work well

also you could consider getting a Breaker Pro (I probably will when the patch comes out, AKA 5 days past the end of the world)

but you could have a bad iso

I really don't know what you should try but thats about all i can suggest

IP Logged

« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2007, 12:31:22 PM » by Poster X
I have ePSXe downloaded, but I can't nail down a good combination of settings, and the 2.8 OGL plug-in just gives me a WGL error when I try to use it. I switched to 1.76, which ran the game, but no matter how I changed the settings; it moved like a stop-motion film.

The sound was also horribly butchered. So, the problem with using ePSXe is that I just can't seem to configure it in any manner that will make it run close to an acceptable level. pSX, on the other hand, is a no fuss sort of emulator that runs just fine, but encounters this lockup problem with Alpha.

Moving on; what's Breaker Pro?

Lastly, if you could possibly get a screenshot or two of some good settings for ePSXe using whichever plug-ins, I could try it again. I'm using a Radeon 9200 graphics card, and I believe I have 700+ RAM. I can't remember the exact number, sorry.

IP Logged

« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2007, 12:57:02 PM » by Sume Gai AGGF Master
A Breaker Pro is a "swap disk" for PS1 games that works for all the PS1s and the PS2

you can use it to play burnt PS1 games (I assume as long as the size is within reason you'd be able to put a patched game on a disk and run it) if you want more info Google it

as far as plug-in settings I used to have some good ones but they don't work any more (guess I fiddled with them too much)

try out software driven plug-ins if you haven't (they were the ones I used to have good settings for

IP Logged

« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2007, 01:02:32 PM » by Dsvaun
Video:  Pete's DX6 3D3 Driver 1.76
Sound:  Eternal SPU Plugin Lite 1.41
CDROM:  ePSXe CDR WNT/W2K core 1.5.2.
BIOS:  bios\SCPH1001.bin

These are the settings I use for Alpha Gaiden.  I might have played around with the video, but I managed to get up to stage 20 or 21 in Alpha.  If it does slow down, configure the video manually.  Don't just rely on the Fast or Nice buttons.  Fast is too fast and nice may work unless your computer is old.
IP Logged

« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2007, 01:04:20 PM » by Poster X
Alright, I'll see if I can't get something sorted out for it all. I'll look into the Breaker Pro, as well, though I don't have a DVD burner... I've only ever been able to burn music to CDs; I don't think my driver is capable of burning anything significantly larger, but we'll see.

In regards to software driven plug-ins, I could try googling that as well, I guess.

Thanks a ton for all of your advice. I'll give these tips a spin and see what happens.

Dsvaun - I assume all of those can be downloaded by googling the names? I'll try to get ahold of them. Thanks very much for the reply. Hearing that you made it that far into the game gives me renewed hope. :D

IP Logged

« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2007, 01:07:38 PM » by Sume Gai AGGF Master
PS 1 games are all CD based and all you need is a program that burns isos/whatever other format the game might be in  (and you can find out how this works on the internet, just Google it)

IP Logged

« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2007, 01:24:56 PM » by Tyria Mad Scientist, Division of Aberration Creation
Look, first, if you are using win 98, I suggest using VGS.

I managed some months ago to find a combination of emulators you can use to play it.

As far as I know, epsx emu and ALL other PS emus lock up on Alpha at some 3 or 4 fixed points (note: epsx also locks up from time to time if you run the game at fast speeds), the only emu that I managed to get that passes those points is XEBRA, but the emulation is slow, so I only use it to pass the points where epsxe locks up.

The "fixed" lock-up points I remember are:

-After Macross folds out of Earth by stage 30+ on either path (one happens sooner than the other), when they bridge ops shut off the alarm.

-After Shinji threaterns to smash all of the Geofront with EVA unit and they just freeze him up on his cockpit (right after main character gets his second mecha)

-When Kaoru sings Min-mei's song.

Here are the settings I used for Alpha on EPSXE 1.6.0:

Video:Pete's OpenGL2 Driver 2.7 (Not sure, but Pete's D3D screwed up randomically)
Sound:ePSXe SPU core 1.5.2. (It may be important, because most lockups seem to be audio-interruption related)
Cd-Rom:SaPu's CD-ROM Plugin 1.0
Bios:SCPH1000.BIN

IP Logged

« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2007, 01:57:04 PM » by Poster X
I'm running Windows XP, actually.

I'll look into your info after I try Dsvaun's settings and plug-ins, though. Thanks for contributing, I appreciate it.

IP Logged

« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2007, 02:17:43 PM » by Poster X
I'm presently working with Dsvaun's recommended plug-ins on ePSXe, and it works amazingly well compared to the previous plug-ins. I tinkered with the graphics a bit, and it's almost as good looking as the pSX so far.

Also, I got past the lockup point with no problem. It's almost shocking that I got past it so smoothly just after switching around emulators and tooling with some plug-ins. =/

Still, I don't understand why pSX had a problem with it... it runs so well, and yet, it hits a snag out of the blue on this one part?

Technology's a real puzzle sometimes. My sincerest thanks to everyone, you're real life savers. Honestly, I'm so glad I decided to ask here. You wouldn't believe how many times I had to get shot down before realizing AG was my best bet. What an idiot I was.

IP Logged

« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2007, 02:48:27 PM » by Dsvaun
Glad to hear that it's working.  Now all you need to fully enjoy Alpha and Alpha Gaiden is either a very good knowledge of Japanese or the patch which will come out eventually assuming an act of god or the death of Gideon doesn't occur and halt progress.
IP Logged

(Read 22036 times) [1] 2
Jump to: