patch application...

You are here: The Pantheon / Seven Heavens / Asgard - Technical Help / Topic: Patch Application...

Gon is really angry
 right now.

ThreadTools

Print

ForumStats

11013 Posts, 536 Topics, 756 Members, Latest Member: NicholasN6

This forum is Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2005, Simple Machines integrated by Datschge basing on Simplicity by Bloc
 (Read 7612 times) [1]

Patch Application...
« on: December 02, 2007, 02:49:06 AM » by RentCavalier
Ok, so...um...I'm really n00bish here, but...

How exactly do I apply the english patch to, say, Metal Max? I read the Readme, and it tells me what I should LOOK for (i.e. the .smc .ips thing.) but it doesn't tell me HOW I actually do it...

So...

How do I do it?
IP Logged

Re: Patch Application...
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2007, 02:58:09 AM » by Sume Gai AGGF Master
well it depends on your emulator  ( some have auto patching I think)

but what you should do is pick up is SNEStool

If you are a man you'll do what's important before you grieve  -Captain Harlock
IP Logged

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2007, 03:03:45 AM » by Dsvaun
First obtain the Rom, emulator, and patch.  If you need to ask where to get the patch, you need to hit yourself in the head with a brick.  HARD.  Second, assuming you've extracted said items, there's an easy way and a hard way.  Since this is probably your first patch I'll say the easy way.  First get a program called SNEStool.  Use the remove header option on the smc.  If you use the latest ZNES as the emulator, there should be an option for it to automatically apply the ips.  Make sure the name on the IPS is the same as on the SMC.  After that, load up the game and it should work.  If not, delete the files, read this again and repeat step by step.  If it still doesn't work, you're not doing it right so leave me alone.
IP Logged

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2007, 10:06:32 PM » by RentCavalier
Do I apply the SNEStool to the Rom if I use ZSNES? The instructions for the tool mention moving ROMs and the like into the same directory, does that also apply to ZSNES?
IP Logged

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2007, 10:18:58 PM » by Dsvaun
Its not necessary for the emulator to be in the same folder.  The patches and the Roms yes.  The SNEStool is used to remove the header on the Rom which can prevent the patch from working right, such as on Metal Max Returns, even if ZNES does the auto-patching.
So to summarize
1. Yes, you use SNEStool to remove the header so the patch can function.
2.No, though you probably will for simplicity.
IP Logged

« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2007, 10:24:40 PM » by RentCavalier
Ahhh, ok...that makes sense. So, for ZSNES to auto-patch, does the english patch have to be in the same folder as the ZSNES emulator? Or in the same folder as the ROM being loaded?

I'm using Winrar, by the way--things get automatically downloaded in .rar form, so I just click and drag the programs from one .rar folder to another...if this a wrong way to do it?
IP Logged

« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2007, 10:44:34 PM » by Dsvaun
No, but the patch has to be in the same folder as the rom.  Right click and choose to extract them to a folder you want.  NOT into another .rar folder.
IP Logged

« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2007, 11:00:59 PM » by RentCavalier
THAT was my problem. Mission accomplished, thanks muchly and greatly!

Wheee...Metal Max...
IP Logged

« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2010, 10:48:08 AM » by Tenacious2
SNES Tool is not compatible with my version of Windows so could you tell me how to changer the header the hard way.
IP Logged

« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2011, 02:59:07 PM » by aztechrome
SNES Tool is not compatible with my version of Windows so could you tell me how to changer the header the hard way.

Try NSRT. Zophar has it at this URL:
http://www.zophar.net/utilities/snesaud/nsrt.html

Put NSRT.EXE anywhere in your PATH, or just put it in the same folder with the rom you want to alter.

The command is simple:
NSRT -remhead ROMNAME.EXT

Now do:
NSRT -info ROMNAME.EXT

This will give you a bunch of info on the ROM, including whether is has a header and valid checksum, or not.
That's it. You're done.

... Et tu, Brute? ...
IP Logged

(Read 7612 times) [1]
Jump to: