last flick you watched?

You are here: The Pantheon / Seven Heavens / Gan Eden - General Discussion / Topic: Last Flick You Watched?

Gon is really angry
 right now.

ThreadTools

Print

ForumStats

11028 Posts, 543 Topics, 771 Members, Latest Member: BlueWizard

This forum is Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2005, Simple Machines integrated by Datschge basing on Simplicity by Bloc
 (Read 27259 times) 1 [2] 3 4

Re: Last Flick You Watched?
« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2007, 03:51:20 AM » by Dsvaun
« Last Edit: December 08, 2007, 04:03:14 AM by Dsvaun »
Another film to probably avoid:
The wachosky brothers present:
Speed Racer
Parts of my brain just died.

A great fiction writer couldn't make this crap up.  I'd link the trailer, but that would mean you would watch it.  1.I'm not that cruel.  2.It's taking super robot wars long enough to be translated, I don't want to be responsible for destroying half of Gideon's brain with this crap.
IP Logged

« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2007, 08:55:56 PM » by Ian Kelley
Okay I'm pissed. They CHANGED THE ENDING WTF

I bet Pullman's pissed too.

They didn't really change the ending rather than just omit the last three chapters of the book. I was surprised by that too but it's not surprising from a business point of view considering the massive plot twist/cliffhanger that the first book ends on. I read somewhere that they actually filmed those chapters initially but New Line axed them to put in the beginning in the second movie.

Incidentally what did you think? I thought it kind of rushed through the story and there were some inexplicable changes. (Iofur -> Ragnar) It'll be interesting to see how they do the second and third movies seeing how they PC-ified the Church in the first. I've heard rumors they're going to make the angels aliens...
IP Logged

« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2007, 09:54:16 PM » by Gideon Zhi Devil Summoner
If they make the angels into aliens, it'll be a *huge* wtf. But yeah, it was kind of rushed. Billy Costa wasn't the kid in the house on the lake, was he? I thought that was the first random kid grabbed when the GOB is first introduced early in the story. Billy didn't deserve that :(

And yeah, there were a lot of weird changes. I wanted to see a real Roping, not just John Fa's ship. I also wanted to see a cliff ghast. And wtf was with the Magisterium guy poisoning the Tokay? The Master was supposed to have done that to protect Lyra.

Yeah, though. Heavily streamlined. Another 20 minutes would have done it worlds of good :/

IP Logged

« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2007, 10:49:29 PM » by Sume Gai AGGF Master
Hey it could have been worse (remembers Eragon)

OH GOD THE PAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm scared about what they will do as the trilogy moves toward a direct anti-Christian standpoint

If you are a man you'll do what's important before you grieve  -Captain Harlock
IP Logged

« Reply #19 on: December 09, 2007, 02:16:51 AM » by Andrew The Dragon Knight
I'm scared about what they will do as the trilogy moves toward a direct anti-Christian standpoint

No, the trilogy moves in an anti-religon standpoint. They knock all religons, equally.

My current inventory is: One transforming katana, one flight suit, one Caster, various Caster shells, one gallant (including stock and barrel) and an optimistic attitude.
IP Logged

« Reply #20 on: December 09, 2007, 03:00:50 AM » by Sume Gai AGGF Master

No, the trilogy moves in an anti-religon standpoint. They knock all religons, equally.

Point taken, but you know the Christians are the ones who would make the biggest fuss

IP Logged

« Reply #21 on: December 09, 2007, 04:00:57 AM » by JayBee That's how I roll.
Actually saw an article about that in the newspaper.
The Catholic Church approves of the trilogy.

Of course the loud portion of christianity is offended by everything, so...

APPRIVOISE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
IP Logged

« Reply #22 on: December 09, 2007, 02:49:33 PM » by Ian Kelley

I'm not sure I would even go that far--the books are more of an anti-"unquestionable authority" standpoint. Pullman himself said so, which is why he was OK with the secularization of the Church for the movie; so long as it remained an unquestionable authority it was fine with him if I remember the quote correctly.

It just so happens that the unquestionable authority in the books is a Christian one--I think this is because A) Pullman wanted to make it something of an anti-Narnia and B) the Dust metaphor works best in that sort of framework. 'Course I could be wrong.
IP Logged

« Reply #23 on: December 10, 2007, 11:47:49 PM » by jolly_old_saint
Bah...of course it's all godless. The whole thing glorifies godless killing machines!

You don't befriend bears, bears tear your head off!!

At the end of things, just-faiz the means.
http://www.youtube.com/user/jollytheoldsaint
IP Logged

« Reply #24 on: December 12, 2007, 01:21:02 AM » by tofudragon7
Haha... well, the FUNNY thing is that the trilogy as a whole takes almost a pro-Christian standpoint. Sure, the church/whatever is evil in the first movie, but there are numerous mentions of shamans, witches, and "angels," and the angels are always the most omniscient and helpful. Not to mention that the whole third book is supposed to be some metaphor for Adam and Eve in the garden of Eden...

I am Zeromus. I am the hate!
IP Logged

« Reply #25 on: December 12, 2007, 01:53:46 AM » by Sume Gai AGGF Master
Angels are on both sides

I wouldn't say that the trilogy takes any kind of pro-religion stand point

I think it's best considered an anti-authority/pro-free thinking standpoint (by authority I mean any authority that restricts free thinking)

IP Logged

« Reply #26 on: December 12, 2007, 11:05:53 AM » by Ian Kelley
Haha... well, the FUNNY thing is that the trilogy as a whole takes almost a pro-Christian standpoint. Sure, the church/whatever is evil in the first movie, but there are numerous mentions of shamans, witches, and "angels," and the angels are always the most omniscient and helpful. Not to mention that the whole third book is supposed to be some metaphor for Adam and Eve in the garden of Eden...

I wouldn't say the trilogy comes even close to pro-Christian. The "good" angels in the book are the ones that rebelled against God and in the Adam and Eve metaphor, they're said to have done the right thing by eating the fruit and disobeying. The idea is that Lyra can save the world by repeating Eve's "mistake."
IP Logged

« Reply #27 on: December 13, 2007, 02:22:13 AM » by tofudragon7
Hmm... perhaps, although the mistake is supposed to be keeping the wrong portal open, and that doesn't happen

EDIT: And you're right, I forgot about the part where god is just a really old angel with alzheimers or something

I am Zeromus. I am the hate!
IP Logged

« Reply #28 on: December 13, 2007, 08:39:20 AM » by Ian Kelley
Hmm... perhaps, although the mistake is supposed to be keeping the wrong portal open, and that doesn't happen

Actually, the "mistake," was making out (or whatever happened) with Will in the forest. Metaphorically, Adam and Eve eating the fruit brought knowledge/Dust/original sin to themselves, which according to the trilogy was the right thing to do because they grew up and became fully "adult" in doing so. By becoming adult, people get infected with Dust/original sin which the Church dislikes. The prophecy is that Lyra is the new "Eve" and thus can either eradicate Dust/original sin or repeat what the first "Eve" did and accept and welcome it. By discovering her own sexuality Lyra  repeats Eve's "mistake," becoming an adult and welcoming the Dust. How that is supposed to affect the entire universe(s) though is never really adequately explained in the books though; as soon as she makes her choice and becomes Dust-infected all the other Dust starts acting wildly differently, but why that happens is a mystery.

Basically the underlying premise in the books, and why it's an anti-Narnia, is that they're coming-of-age stories and Pullman has the initiation into adulthood and loss of innocence as a great thing to be celebrated. Contrast this with the Narnia books, where Lewis sees coming-of-age as something not to be celebrated but vilified; the ignorance and innocence of childhood are praised and characters that come of age and discover their own sexuality are deemed "unworthy."
IP Logged

« Reply #29 on: December 16, 2007, 12:49:40 PM » by KraZe Real Horrorshow
Okay I'm pissed. They CHANGED THE ENDING WTF

I bet Pullman's pissed too.

They didn't really change the ending rather than just omit the last three chapters of the book. I was surprised by that too but it's not surprising from a business point of view considering the massive plot twist/cliffhanger that the first book ends on. I read somewhere that they actually filmed those chapters initially but New Line axed them to put in the beginning in the second movie.

Incidentally what did you think? I thought it kind of rushed through the story and there were some inexplicable changes. (Iofur -> Ragnar) It'll be interesting to see how they do the second and third movies seeing how they PC-ified the Church in the first. I've heard rumors they're going to make the angels aliens...

On top of that as soon as news of the end change came out and fans started crapping bricks, Pullman bothered to say something along the lines of "Calm the **** down. It's all gonna be fine."

Maybe when someone says something funny...
IP Logged

(Read 27259 times) 1 [2] 3 4
Jump to: