let's start with an old, classic topic...

You are here: The Pantheon / Seven Heavens / Elysium - Gaming / Topic: Let's start with an old, classic topic...

Gon is really angry
 right now.

ThreadTools

Print

ForumStats

11028 Posts, 543 Topics, 771 Members, Latest Member: BlueWizard

This forum is Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2005, Simple Machines integrated by Datschge basing on Simplicity by Bloc
 (Read 7518 times) [1]

Let's start with an old, classic topic...
« on: January 07, 2008, 12:48:11 AM » by Cainen
How about your favorite games and reasons why they're your favorite?

For starters, my top three are(in a very specific order) Total Annihilation(brilliant RTS in general; I could go on for paragraphs about it), Planescape:Torment(hands down the most brilliant RPG I've ever played.  Again, I could go on for paragraphs about it) and Ultima VII(which was absolutely amazing, especially for its time).

Yours?
IP Logged

Re: Let's start with an old, classic topic
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2008, 01:15:52 AM » by Sume Gai AGGF Master
« Last Edit: January 07, 2008, 01:27:07 AM by Sume Gai »
Xenogears excellent story, Great music, and damn fun to boot

Command and Conquer 95; I loved the whole series (Till EA killed it aka Generals) 

Perfect Dark; takes the greatest console shooter and made it even better

If you are a man you'll do what's important before you grieve  -Captain Harlock
IP Logged

Re: Let's start with an old, classic topic...
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2008, 02:20:02 AM » by JayBee That's how I roll.
Ahhhh.... so many choices....
The list changes so often...

Valkyrie Profile, Tales of Destiny, and Crystalis are all good fun for similar reasons. They strike a balance between the traditionally sluggish RPG and the delightful fun of an action game.
ToD is one of the few RPGs I've just run around picking fights in.
Dammit someone, do a remake of Crystalis! And ignore the GBColor version when you do it!

Chrono Trigger. Yeah, yeah, Square whore, yaddayadda....
CT is an audiovisual masterpiece, though. It's not the god game it's commonly depicted as, but it IS fun. And 1-shotting everything on a replay is remarkably satisfying.

Lunar 2 was one of the first RPGs to really engage me(in fact, the Lunar series was my RPG gateway). Eternal Blue managed to make me care about the characters, which has always been  a long-standing problem with JRPGs.

I point and laugh at anyone that cried when Aeris died, but the first ending of Lunar 2 did it for me. "LUCIAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"
I just sorta stared when it threw up those 2 little words at the end of the credit scroll. "The End? No way.... this is some kinda joke, right? No way... " Seriously, I JUST SAT THERE for a few minutes staring and going "No way...".

Especially since the SegaCD didn't tell you about the epilogue save until you went to load a game. On the one hand, it's nice that the PS version TELLS YOU there's a clear save being made, but on the other, it was a nice surprise.
I didn't find out about it until I was into a replay to see if I missed something that would generate an alternate ending.

Also, I love the music in the franchise.
It's a pity that Game Arts died shortly after Grandia 2 was released.
(Please don't point Grandia 3 and Lunar: Dragon Song out. It's better this way.).

Hmm, I'm in a pretty high RPG gear right now...
Let's break this up now.

Zanac on the NES. Adaptive difficulty, enough said. "Mad at the game" becomes a two-way street.
When you're on a roll and it's slinging absurd amounts of crap at you, you can almost hear the game screaming "NO WAY THAT HIT ME!!!! THIS IS BULLSHIT!!!! WHY WON'T YOU DIE ALREADY?!?!"
It's oh so very satisfying to be on the OTHER side of that for a change.

Asteroids Deluxe is probably my most consistently high-rated one.
I like the Asteroids series play. Every game is a little different due to randomization, and slight variations in input can accumulate rapidly. You will NEVER see the same game of Asteroids twice.

It rewards calculated and controlled play without degenerating into pattern memorization(I ABHOR memorization games).

Deluxe is just the best in the series.  The Activision remake is overly complex, Space Duel is just MEAN, and I like the changes made to Deluxe from the original(shields are more reliable than hyperspace, the added visual detail makes for a more striking game, and killer satellites are just plain FUN to blast.).

PN03 on the GameCube.
I always liked Berzerk, so it's nice to see a modern version of it.
As with Asteroids, it's a game that rewards controlled and calculated gameplay. If you try and run through guns blazing, you will die. If you pause for a moment, evaluate the situation, and THEN react, you will live.

And it will be glorious as you sidestep lasers, launch a fusilade of your own, leap over a missile as it arcs past you and into the wall, then tap the d-pad and unleash a SEXY BEAM right into the enemy swarm.

Perhaps from a more modern perspective, it can be described as essence of Devil May Cry. The team that brought you DMC refined the controls, shaved it down to the core(visually as well as play-wise), gave it some T&A, and called it PN3.
Seriously, I played PN3, then DMC. My first impression of DMC was that it was a messier version of PN3.

If you review games....
You will demonstrate a remarkably poor grasp of the game mechanics as you try to run&gun.

You will NEVER realize that absolute control of a smaller area and a good sense of the enemy's timing is a far more viable tactic than running RIGHT AT the enemy while said enemy is firing lasers at you.

You will blame the game for not letting you run while you shoot. Just like you blamed Mario for not stopping on a dime every time he slid into a hole back in the day.

You will hail the 70s and 80s games that PN3 is an homage to for having tight, precise controls that placed NO LIMITS on your maneuverability.

You will conveniently ignore all the crappy games that didn't, like.... all of them that weren't Robotron.

And you will never admit that your pre-conceived notions that this would be Tomb Raider In Space were wrong.  It's clearly a BAD Tomb Raider knockoff instead of something different.

Errr....
Hmmm, that went off on a tangent fast...
End rant.

I just wish the trail mission feature was expanded out to something more complex. The game would benefit from an endless mode like the original Berzerk.
Though it would have to be more liberal with weapon energy drops. PN3 without energy drives isn't half as fun.

Ask again in a week and you'll get a totally different list.
And probably not a PN3 rant.

APPRIVOISE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
IP Logged

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2008, 02:39:17 AM » by Andrew The Dragon Knight
Shadow Hearts: One and Two tell the story about the main character in an amazing way. I also liked Xenogears/Saga for the same reason. I also like the later Castlevania games for the Metroid like gameplay.

My current inventory is: One transforming katana, one flight suit, one Caster, various Caster shells, one gallant (including stock and barrel) and an optimistic attitude.
IP Logged

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2008, 03:35:13 AM » by Fnord
Super metroid (SNES): Do i need to explain this one? Its one of the best platformers of all time.

Ikaruga(GC): A modern classic. Not as hard as people claim, but it's still fantastic! The polarity switching adds an interesting element to the game.

Xenogears(PSX): I have yet to play a game with a better story. Why didnt the europeans get this game?

Victoria: an empire under the sun(PC): grand scale strategy at it's best. It's not an easy game to get into, but once your past the huge learning curve you will be stuck.

Civliziation 2(PC): Still the best part in the civ series. This game is a lovley, althought sometimes a bit shallow TBS.

Bubble bobble(NES): Another classic. Multiplayer bubble bobble is a blast!

Mario kart(SNES): Another one that i dont need to explain.

Illuminati (Boardgame): You didnt specify what kind of game(s) you were talking about *winks*. This is the game for all those who enjoy backstabing their friends. Its simply a blast to play.

Arkham horror (Boardgame): A lovecraftian boardgame. This is one of the few games where you cooperate with the other players. Its a hard game, but agin its extreemly fun. Check it out!

Once upon a time (boardgame): Storytelling game. As long as you and your friends have a bit of imagination, its a blast!

Jurney to silius (NES): The stages are fun, the difficulty is almost perfect (for platformer veterans), and the music is great. The european version has a better looking main char... (good thing i'm a european ;) )
IP Logged

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2008, 12:39:37 PM » by DairuggerXV
Let's start with the less obvious to more obvious:

Mega Man X: This was the first game I ever played where I even attempted to get a 100% Item collection. I don't know why, but I actually thought it was fun to go through and collect everything. Never mind the fact I had a hard time beating Sigma without the fireball.

Earthbound: There is something just weird and and quirky about this game that makes it fun. Oh wait, it is the fact that it is weird and quirky.

SD Gundam G Generation F: What's not to like about a game that lets you play through every Gundam Story between the Original Gundam and Turn A? Plus the units unique to the SGGG like the Phoenix Gundam are awesome in their own right.

SRW Alpha 3: Had Cybuster made at the very least an appearance in one of the scenarios, it would have been the perfect game. However, having a combination of Gunbuster, GaoGaiGar, Evangelion, a hefty dose of UC Gundam units and an awesome storyline (well, from what I've read in the FAQs and piece together myself) sure made it one of the best games I've played in recent memory.
IP Logged

« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2008, 02:16:08 PM » by Gideon Zhi Devil Summoner
I like the Asteroids series play. Every game is a little different due to randomization, and slight variations in input can accumulate rapidly. You will NEVER see the same game of Asteroids twice.

It rewards calculated and controlled play without degenerating into pattern memorization(I ABHOR memorization games).

Deluxe is just the best in the series.  The Activision remake is overly complex, Space Duel is just MEAN, and I like the changes made to Deluxe from the original(shields are more reliable than hyperspace, the added visual detail makes for a more striking game, and killer satellites are just plain FUN to blast.).

Have you tried Spheres of Chaos? It's freeware now, so you have no excuse!

IP Logged

« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2008, 03:01:38 PM » by JayBee That's how I roll.

Deluxe is just the best in the series.  The Activision remake is overly complex, Space Duel is just MEAN, and I like the changes made to Deluxe from the original(shields are more reliable than hyperspace, the added visual detail makes for a more striking game, and killer satellites are just plain FUN to blast.).

Have you tried Spheres of Chaos? It's freeware now, so you have no excuse!
*gives it a try*
Whoa!

Yeah, he has an unhealthy obsession with trumping Tempest 2000 and then continuing on. Though it avoids the over-complexity of Activision Asteroids, from a gameplay perspective(and does the killsats right!).

It's neat, though.
Also: Brakes are cheating. :P

Minestorm is my favorite clone. But it has high friction.

APPRIVOISE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
IP Logged

« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2008, 06:44:13 PM » by jolly_old_saint
Chrono Trigger and  Chrono Cross....boring answers, maybe, but they'lll always hold true as my favorites. The first brought me into the genre and the second was actually as long as I wanted it. Both were games of rare quality.

Xenogears was fun, though they rushed the last disc.

It'd be a crime for me not to add Psychonauts. Or Monkey Island I, II, III, and IV. For anyone who  hasn't played those games...I'm sorry. You're dead to me.

I can't believe no one's mentioned Kingdom Hearts. Two of the best damned games ever made. They made Goofy the shield-knight from the Dungens & Dragons cartoon! How badass is that?

And there's one more set of games I'm disappointed that no one's mentioned....Phoenix Wright! Suren no other series can make EVERYONE WHO PLAYS IT want to be a lawyer...

At the end of things, just-faiz the means.
http://www.youtube.com/user/jollytheoldsaint
IP Logged

« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2008, 10:52:07 PM » by Fnord
I forgot the Touhou topdown shooters. Check out mountain of faith, perfect cherryblossom, imperishable night & the embodiment of scarlet devil on youtube and you will understand why i love them so much.
IP Logged

« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2008, 11:17:09 PM » by Word on the Wind Fanservice with a vengence!
Chrono Trigger and  Chrono Cross....boring answers, maybe, but they'lll always hold true as my favorites. The first brought me into the genre and the second was actually as long as I wanted it. Both were games of rare quality.

Xenogears was fun, though they rushed the last disc.

It'd be a crime for me not to add Psychonauts. Or Monkey Island I, II, III, and IV. For anyone who  hasn't played those games...I'm sorry. You're dead to me.

I can't believe no one's mentioned Kingdom Hearts. Two of the best damned games ever made. They made Goofy the shield-knight from the Dungens & Dragons cartoon! How badass is that?

And there's one more set of games I'm disappointed that no one's mentioned....Phoenix Wright! Suren no other series can make EVERYONE WHO PLAYS IT want to be a lawyer...

1. Like Cross, not Trigger so much.

2. Played and finished 1, 3 and 4, ain't finished 2 yet.

3. Kingdoms Hearts 1 for the win.

4. i wanted to be a lawyer before I played PW. I wanted to be an amusin' lawyer before I played PW. I, however, wanted to be a lawyer with a pink tie AFTER I played PW.

I miss my signature.
IP Logged

« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2008, 11:51:18 PM » by Lechise Inohara Tutonic Warrior
lets see, all of the Ages games so far I've been quite fond of as far as RTS goes (one of the few good things Microsoft has managed to pull out of their asses I must say), mostly since it puts an interesting spin on history, on top of the games being relatively balanced, and forcing you to think rather than spawning masses of a single super unit (they went so far as to add counter-units (E.G. Pikemen doing bonus damage to mounted units)... Plus they're damn good fun.

lets see, Rudra no Hihou, hey, where else is this place going to do Lighting damage to a single target for 24 MP? (Input AeonGenesis into the Enscribe thing and you'll see what Meant), but yeah, one of squares good older games, and proves that they didn't try to be super up their own asses serious with ALL of their games... Course, I guess Live-A-Live proves that to.

SRW... Well, the one's I've played anyway... I'm just a sucker for giant robot death machines *nod*.... Lets see... Thats all I can think of right off as far as favorites go.

"My breathing... My eyes... And my footwork! To your sight... and to your mind! Memorize these! This is Shinsanken's special... Sengazanken!" - Roshi
IP Logged

« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2008, 03:59:07 AM » by Viral
Ghost n' Goblins.  It was the first nes game I can recall ever trying my best to actually beat.  Not to mention I loved the sound and the whole knight vs monsters aspect. 

Rawr
IP Logged

« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2008, 02:20:46 PM » by threetimes
Favourite games are Suikoden 1 and Shadow Hearts Covenant. Every time I play I fall in love with them again. Suikoden 1 I love partly for nostalgia reasons as it was one the very first RPGs I ever played, and I thought all RPGs had over 100 characters. Heh. But it is still a great game even today. And SHC is simply the best all round game I have ever played. I love the characters, the story, the music, the gameplay, the humour, the graphical style...etc etc. The first SH game was good but SHC is perfect. <3

IP Logged

(Read 7518 times) [1]
Jump to: